Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Guitar Doc

Is anyone here a racist?

Are you a racist?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a racist?

The term racist is thrown around so loosely today that no one knows the real meaning. I personally am not one but have been called one before only because my opinion differed from someone's. Now most of my life insurance customers are black, a lot are really poor, their honestly some of the best people I know. My wife is mixed, Hatian and Lebonese and a Christian, love her with all my heart. Now being from the south yes I do see real racism all the time, At least once a week I'll hear some redneck thro the N word out or recently heard bitching about the $20 bill. And that person tho was so stupid to history and didn't even know who Harriet Tubman was and even after I told him who she was his racist reply was "she broke the F'n law, how the F is he on a dollar bill"  yep just goes to show that there are still some idiots out there that can't be saved. 

To preface this post, I grew up in an all white area and am a white, blue eyed blonde.

Once I was broke down on my year old Harley in E. St. Louis. I rolled off the interstate into a quick shop parking lot. I sit in the shade for a couple of hours, trying occasionally to get the bike to fire with no luck. Not seeing a white person for all that time.

A black man about my age came up to me and started a conversation. He told me it wasn't safe for me to hang out there. He said he was staying in a burned out house a block or so away and invited me to roll my bike down there. 

I didn't feel comfortable with his suggestion but decided he was  probably right that I should move away from the quick shop area. I rolled up under the shade at the burned out house with him. He asked me if I knew anything about wiring up rotary phones, I told him I did and proceeded to wire up a phone to existing wiring in the house. It worked and he was very happy.

I really had no one to call to rescue me being 300 miles from home. I had no chain or lock to lock the bike to one of the trees, so I set up a trip line and slept in the carport tool shed for the night.

The next morning we talked and found we were both in about the same shape. I had 20 bucks he had 10. He suggested we catch a bus and go to the Harley shop, he was my guide. I had never been in St. Louis and was utterly lost. We didn't have enough money to buy a coil, we decided it was the problem. The Harley shop, didn't care the least about me or their broken down product and we took the bus back to the burned out house.

We pooled our cash for supper and a couple of his friends came over with beer and bud and we all crashed there.

The next morning found us back at a food store for Vienna sausages and a box of crackers.

The third day was much like the other days, we were down to a few bucks and were picking up soda bottles for the refund. As three of us walked toward the park with our sausages and crackers one said he knew where we could get a couple of coils from abandoned cars.

Out of mouth came something commonly heard in the south. I said, You might have a good idea, "Maybe we could ni***r rig them together". Now you probably laughing at this point in my story. 

It hit me, what I said, instantly I felt sick. We stopped in the street and they both turned to look at me. I'm sure it was easy to see how stupid sick I felt.

They began to laugh, one said hey man, don't sweat it, we all call our self that and but ya don't have to be black to be a ni***r. Relief swept over me then we all laughed like kids.

It was a life lesson that I will never forget. And no truer words were ever spoken.

I sign most every post 1/0. We must not be divided, for divided we fall. IC 1/0

15 hours ago, FalkeAuge said:

@Lucy Barnable I like the reference to "tribe" - many of my fellow race and even nationality I do not consider part of my tribe!  One of the biggest isues in Africa is neither colonization not is it racism - it is and will always be tribalism!  Study the history of African countries and you will soon realize that the "white" man was mostly the ham in the sandwich - the catalyst and /or scapegoat so to speak. Why is there wars and strife in countries such as - Rwanda, The DRC, Sudan, Ivory Coast, Liberia to name but a few etc.

Tribalism is an interesting and potentially dangerous phenomenon as you say.
However, I think it's a hardwired survival instinct and not so easy to overcome.
Babies as young as nine months old show racial (tribal) bias toward their own.

9-Month-Olds Show Racial Bias When Looking at Faces 

In the study, 48 Caucasian infants were given the task of differentiating between faces of their own race and faces that belonged to another, unfamiliar, race. In another experiment, sensors placed on the babies' heads detected brain activity when the babies saw images of faces of Caucasian or African-American races expressing emotions that either matched or did not match sounds they heard, such as laughing and crying.

While 5-month-olds were equally able to distinguish faces from different races, 9-month-olds fared better with their own race. Likewise, brain-activity measurements showed the 9-month-olds processed emotional expressions among Caucasian faces differently than those of African-American faces, while the 5-month-olds did not.

- See more at: http://www.livescience.com/20089-facial-racial-bias-infants.html#sthash.j9I3gptk.dpuf

I know it's not right to generalize and I do try not to but a lot stereotypes are based on reality.
Often it's just a subconscious reaction and I have to consciously think my way out of it.
Everyone is different so there are always exceptions but I'm not always a risk taker.

19 minutes ago, Informedconsent said:

To preface this post, I grew up in an all white area and am a white, blue eyed blonde.

Once I was broke down on my year old Harley in E. St. Louis. I rolled off the interstate into a quick shop parking lot. I sit in the shade for a couple of hours, trying occasionally to get the bike to fire with no luck. Not seeing a white person for all that time.

A black man about my age came up to me and started a conversation. He told me it wasn't safe for me to hang out there. He said he was staying in a burned out house a block or so away and invited me to roll my bike down there. 

I didn't feel comfortable with his suggestion but decided he was  probably right that I should move away from the quick shop area. I rolled up under the shade at the burned out house with him. He asked me if I knew anything about wiring up rotary phones, I told him I did and proceeded to wire up a phone to existing wiring in the house. It worked and he was very happy.

I really had no one to call to rescue me being 300 miles from home. I had no chain or lock to lock the bike to one of the trees, so I set up a trip line and slept in the carport tool shed for the night.

The next morning we talked and found we were both in about the same shape. I had 20 bucks he had 10. He suggested we catch a bus and go to the Harley shop, he was my guide. I had never been in St. Louis and was utterly lost. We didn't have enough money to buy a coil, we decided it was the problem. The Harley shop, didn't care the least about me or their broken down product and we took the bus back to the burned out house.

We pooled our cash for supper and a couple of his friends came over with beer and bud and we all crashed there.

The next morning found us back at a food store for Vienna sausages and a box of crackers.

The third day was much like the other days, we were down to a few bucks and were picking up soda bottles for the refund. As three of us walked toward the park with our sausages and crackers one said he knew where we could get a couple of coils from abandoned cars.

Out of mouth came something commonly heard in the south. I said, You might have a good idea, "Maybe we could ni***r rig them together". Now you probably laughing at this point in my story. 

It hit me, what I said, instantly I felt sick. We stopped in the street and they both turned to look at me. I'm sure it was easy to see how stupid sick I felt.

They began to laugh, one said hey man, don't sweat it, we all call our self that and but ya don't have to be black to be a ni***r. Relief swept over me then we all laughed like kids.

It was a life lesson that I will never forget. And no truer words were ever spoken.

I sign most every post 1/0. We must not be divided, for divided we fall. IC 1/0

That's a wonderful story!  Thanks for sharing it.
I'm out of likes right now but I'll catch you later.
:heartflowers:

I was talking to shep about this thread and he said he thought no one would admit to being a racist. I had already done so, but he didn't know that. lmao  p.s. I am not a racist in that I don't think I'm any better than any other person on this planet. Anyway, just wanted to put this out there so you all don't think I'm a racist as in I hate people who are not the same color as I am. I just have little tolerance for people who try to make me feel like a piece of crap for having been born into a skin color over which I had no say over. 

Kumbaya ....

11 minutes ago, Lucy Barnable said:

That's a wonderful story!  Thanks for sharing it.
I'm out of likes right now but I'll catch you later.
:heartflowers:

It felt good to put it to print. It's been a long road but many wonderful blessing have been bestowed on me. Thank you

9 minutes ago, Informedconsent said:

It felt good to put it to print. It's been a long road but many wonderful blessing have been bestowed on me. Thank you

I'm really glad you wrote it.
There are so many horrible race related stories in the news nowadays.
It's good to be reminded of the things we do have in common and how nice strangers can be.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.