Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cinnamon

Better learn to grow some food!

Cinnamon    21,937

I have a feeling that food prices are going to do nothing but go up this coming year. Probably more shockingly than we've seen yet.  Isn't it strange that there is never too much of something on this planet? (Other than bad things!)  When's the last time you heard there was too much food, water or any other life giving substance?  We're conditioned to fear lack. Even when there is nothing lacking, we're told there is. Lack of money? There's no lack of money, it's just all concentrated in the wrong hands.

Anyway, I'm getting off track. I met someone online in 2009 who actually owned a gardening retail store. That person taught me how to grow things and which things to grow that anyone can do.

I actually got food! lol  I was shocked!  Everything I grow ends up dead at my hands. Anyway, not only did he teach me how to grow, he taught me how to grow from seeds, not by buying plants at the store. You can get a big head start if you have a shop light or grow light inside. Shop lights are cheaper than grow lights and you can get them at home depot, just use the fluorescent light that comes with it and you're good to go, just have to keep raising the light once the plants emerge from the dirt.

So anyway, here's what he told me to grow to keep on getting food and how to harvest it.

Lettuce, pick the leaves and don't pull the whole plant.

Onions (green onions), just cut the green part off the top and don't pull the entire plant. It makes more and more greens the more you cut them.

Grow these for plants that keep on giving for months and months: tomatoes, okra, eggplant, peppers (hot and sweet ones).

If you have lettuce, tomatoes, onions and peppers... nice salads! 

Here's how he taught me to grow lots of tomatoes in a small space ( I have a VERY SMALL SPACE to garden).

Make a clothesline with 4 wires instead of one wire. Plant your tomato plants in pots.  Put them under the wires and put 2 feet of space between each pot.  Tie some strings to the wires above the pots, make it long enough to hang down and reach the pots.  As the plants grow taller, use vine clips or tie the branches to the strings with cloth etc. As they keep growing, keep tying them up to the strings. I add more strings to the wires as the plants branch out and grow taller to keep them supported. You can get a lot of plants in a small area doing this. I made two rows of pots and staggered them so they'd have room to grow and breath. I planted 48 plants and was freaking out with all the tomatoes! I was giving them to everyone, I even canned some but it was so damn hot, if I do this again, I'm going to put them into the freezer instead, then can them later on when the weather cools off.

I got so much food that I had tons to give away and I don't know many people with land smaller than mine to grow on. Not saying I could survive like this, but if food keeps going up, especially produce, we're going to need to do something to supplement that.

And if the government gave a crap about it's people, they would be having huge campaigns on how to grow food and be more self sufficient, not making everyone dependent upon their unsustainable way of living.

grav   
grav

Now is a good time to order seeds from catalogs or online. Just in case.........

Cinnamon    21,937
4 minutes ago, grav said:

Now is a good time to order seeds from catalogs or online. Just in case.........

I can plant in Feb! yay! Cali weather! And start my seeds under light now!

Lucy Barnable    4,766

I love Grand Rapids Leaf Lettuce.
It's so easy and keeps going and going.
http://motherhood.modernmom.com/grow-grand-rapids-lettuce-indoors-10542.html

It's a good idea to research what the Native Americans in your area grew and harvested.
Here in the PNW Camas grows wild everywhere. The blue is edible but the white is poisonous so you have to wait until it flowers.

Blue Camas and Other Edible Bulbs

http://honest-food.net/2011/07/21/blue-camas-and-other-edible-bulbs/

Hungry? Here's a Map of Every Urban Plant You Can Snack On

http://www.citylab.com/tech/2013/06/hungry-heres-map-every-urban-plant-you-can-snack/6054/

I love the tomato clothes line idea!
I'm going try that next year.
Thanks Cinnamon. 
:smile:

Brio    1,038

Excellent time to think about spring planting. My husband gave me the greenhouse I asked for for Christmas :dgK4P0r: nothing fancy, just a metal frame with heavy plastic to go over. We get frost in mid July some years here, not heavy and doesn't last but enough to kill a garden, and I've given up on growing anything but peas. Not so this year, I'm going to maximize 10' x 10' of frost free growing.

Cinnamon    21,937
2 minutes ago, Brio said:

Excellent time to think about spring planting. My husband gave me the greenhouse I asked for for Christmas :dgK4P0r: nothing fancy, just a metal frame with heavy plastic to go over. We get frost in mid July some years here, not heavy and doesn't last but enough to kill a garden, and I've given up on growing anything but peas. Not so this year, I'm going to maximize 10' x 10' of frost free growing.

Nice present! What are you going to grow in there? 

grav   
grav

I'm growing lettuce, spinach, carrots in big pots on my back porch. This summer I got mirlitons, aka vegetable pears, to grow in a big (20 gal.) pot in my veggie garden. Urbanites can grow lots of edibles in pots. Tomatoes and bell peppers are so easy from seed. You get 100% germination of seeds. I grew both in pots this summer. Everyone should try to be a gardener. It's so frustrating to see friends and family who don't grow anything but flowers. :sad: Not knocking flowers. I prefer the ones that provide nectar for bees.

Cinnamon    21,937
1 minute ago, grav said:

I'm growing lettuce, spinach, carrots in big pots on my back porch. This summer I got mirlitons, aka vegetable pears, to grow in a big (20 gal.) pot in my veggie garden. Urbanites can grow lots of edibles in pots. Tomatoes and bell peppers are so easy from seed. You get 100% germination of seeds. I grew both in pots this summer. Everyone should try to be a gardener. It's so frustrating to see friends and family who don't grow anything but flowers. :sad: Not knocking flowers. I prefer the ones that provide nectar for bees.

Everyone here is ripping out their lawns due to the drought. But it's been raining again, so hopefully things will get better and they won't put their lawns back in, but will grow something to eat. Okra plants are beautiful, the flowers are huge and tropical looking. I just found out okra is actually from Africa. :) Eggplants have nice flowers and are very ornamental looking. I grew some white eggplant, too.

I've never heard of mirlitons/vegetable pears. I need to look that up! Thanks, Grav! 

Brio    1,038

Thanks, I was sure happy.

Oh I don't know, I'm going to have to look into what we like and what will do well, this is a luxury for me lol. I need herbs, I know that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cinnamon    21,937
12 minutes ago, Brio said:

Thanks, I was sure happy.

Oh I don't know, I'm going to have to look into what we like and what will do well, this is a luxury for me lol. I need herbs, I know that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Definitely tomatoes! The ones at the stores here taste like... nothing.  It's amazing how they can make a veggie tasteless, isn't it?  (They do it with the apples too, unless they're organic, they're tasteless as well!) 

Brio    1,038

Yes, tomatoes are definitely on my list, they utilize space up! Love your idea about supporting them from above not bracing from below. And i do like canning tomatoes, they taste way different from what you buy in the grocery store. I have an outdoor burner (not allowed to can inside anymore lol) for my canner, works wonderfully.