2many secrets

New York City’s rat problem is getting worse

New York City’s rat problem is getting worse

By Danielle Furfaro

New York Post |

Rats prefer the neighborhoods of Harlem, the Upper West Side, and Bedford-Stuyvesant — and they really like to party in the summer, a new study shows.

Citywide, the rat population grew about 10 percent from 2016 to 2017 based on complaints filed to 311, the RentHop study released on Tuesday shows.

Brooklyn had the most complaints borough wide, with a whopping 7,253 in 2017. But Manhattan had the most when compared to the size of the borough, with 197.5 complaints per square mile.

There were a total of 19,152 complaints citywide in 2017, up from 17,230 the previous year.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/12/new-york-citys-rat-problem-is-getting-worse/

Scientists Show How Big NYC Rats Can Get, And It’s Terrifying

Someone is finally telling us how big the city rodents really are.

New York City rats can be big, and because of some yucky research, we now know just how big.

Matthew Combs, a doctoral student at Fordham University, and his colleagues collected hundreds of rats for an ongoing study to determine how the creatures colonize. But in the process, they’ve given us a better idea of how the rodents can range in size.

No, New York City rats aren’t as big as cats (at least the well-fed domestic ones), as Gotham mythology would have it. However, the vermin are of a heft that will give you nightmares in a New York minute.

Combs recently showed off the biggest catch to The Huffington Post — a 675-gram (nearly 1 1/2 pounds) monster. It’s right here to disgust/terrify/fascinate you.

More info and photos at the link.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/new-york-city-biggest-rat-matthew-combs_us_56e6c7a4e4b0b25c91826a94

4 minutes ago, markovian said:

maby they should reconsider that bb gun outlaw n let the kids go at em

I think the rats have union representatives in city hall. PITA will protect them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2many secrets said:

I think the rats have union representatives in city hall. PITA will protect them.

good one!!

1 hour ago, 2many secrets said:

hahaha ... ur probly right

Posted (edited)

Back when we were farming and there was infinite feed from the newly installed automatic feeding systems the rats were running around seven pounds. Before we got some Maine Coon cats in that could take them on we were seeing ten pounders. Give them enough food and they grow like carp. But the first google entry for this type of rat takes you to Deadheads, who don't grow nearly that big.

Edited by lostlogin
warfheads

23 minutes ago, lostlogin said:

Back when we were farming and there was infinite feed from the newly installed automatic feeding systems the rats were running around seven pounds. Before we got some Maine Coon cats in that could take them on we were seeing ten pounders. Give them enough food and they grow like carp. But the first google entry for this type of rat takes you to Deadheads, who don't grow nearly that big.

I've seen wharf rats as big as cats on the piers in San Francisco. Easily a foot long.

• Like 1

Rats love and live to eat quit feeding them by not placing kitchen garbage in the dumpsters . Problem salved ! 

Even here in small town Iowa I put all kitchen garbage in coffee cans if they can't get to it they can't eat it .. I don't even have bugs .

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.