Amanda Lee

Dramatic changes occur within the Halema’uma’u crater

17 minutes ago, Full Throttle said:

Is that good or bad news. I'm no expert.  :)

No idea?

Looks pretty sketchy to me tho

The USGS guy answers questions on that thread and basically says he doesn't really know what to expect.

2 minutes ago, Amanda Lee said:

No idea?

The USGS guy answers questions on that thread and basically says he doesn't really know what to expect.

Wow, that's awesome, nobody knows. :gsbrnint:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Amanda Lee said:

No idea?

Definitely doesn’t seem good considering... Also, if the scientists knew that it was going to be really bad, would they say? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Eve said:

Definitely doesn’t seem good considering... Also, if the scientists knew that it was going to be really bad, would they say? 

LOL~ Trust me they don't know anything.

I mean they know the temperature of stuff and they can measure the out flow but no they really don't know how this place works. IMO

• Like 1

All I can say is plugging the exhaust vent of anything isn't ideal. It's a giant pressure cooker now.

• Like 1
  • WTF 2

given the laws fluid dynamics work by, we *should* see a resurgence in the  height of lava ejections from vent 8 if pressure in the main lava reservoir rises. 

The decreasing fountain heights at vent 8 imply vent 8 is sufficient to release current lava flow rates.  But there's no guarantee those flow rates won't change...perhaps rapidly.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Amanda Lee said:

I mean they know the temperature of stuff and they can measure the out flow but no they really don't know how this place works. IMO

I agree that they don’t know anything, certainly nothing concrete. But yea, they have data and with the proper know-how: the ability to make models. The models certainly are not perfect, and potentially completely inaccurate - but, they exist. And, rather than say, “it could go this way, or that” they are saying, “I don’t know.” I’ve seen this movie, read the book: Hawaii is isolated and information regarding a potential disaster would most certainly cause a panic...

But anywho - I do agree with the sentiment they know nothing, and maybe it’s better that they just say nothing. It is extremely unfortunate for the individuals there, though. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Eve said:

I agree that they don’t know anything, certainly nothing concrete. But yea, they have data and with the proper know-how: the ability to make models. The models certainly are not perfect, and potentially completely inaccurate - but, they exist.

Within a completely different context -- it was about models of stars going supernova -- a scientist said: all models are wrong, but some models are useful. I like that statement.

11 hours ago, Amanda Lee said:

I know even less than they know. But I'm using my self-made rule of thumb here: dramatic changes within an active volcano are probably a bad omen.

• Like 3

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.