Projectlunar

Heaven’s Gate – Marshall Applewhite & The New Age UFO Religion, Benjamin Zeller Details The Heaven’s Gate Cult & Comet Hale Bopp

Benjamin E. Zeller is a researcher and teacher of religion in America. He focuses on religious currents that are new or alternative, including new religions, the religious engagement with science, and the quasi-religious relationship people have with food. His interests are united by an interest in expanding the conversation about religion by including less commonly studied groups, phenomena, and topics, and looking at more common topics (e.g. religion & science; American religious history) from new angles.

Zeller is Associate Professor and Chair of the Department of Religion at Lake Forest College, a private liberal arts college in the Chicago suburbs. He previously served as Director of the College Honors Program, Assistant Professor of Religious Studies, and Coordinator of the Religion and Philosophy Major at Brevard College, and visiting Fulbright Fellow at Åbo Akademi (Turku, Finland).

Heaven’s Gate is best known as the UFO group that ended with the mass suicides in San Diego in 1997 at the time of the Hale-Bopp comet. It made the news after the movement’s 39 active members committed mass suicide, and there was a bit of a media frenzy. The group is now defunct, though ex-members maintain their website and there are still a few believers out there.

After introductions, Benjamin explains how he got into Ufology & what he learned about the infamous Heaven’s Gate. Benjamin has done extensive research on the even of 1997 that will live on forever.
Who were these people? What were they truly like? Find Out.

That was a really gorey way to get people to go outside and look at that faint, unimpressive comet.

56 minutes ago, lostlogin said:

That was a really gorey way to get people to go outside and look at that faint, unimpressive comet.

Yes, I'm going to reach out to Courtney Brown next.

8 hours ago, Projectlunar said:

:farout: literally.....:coffeetime:

9 hours ago, Projectlunar said:

People have forgotten about his failure with, and involvement with the hale bopp Comet, The Art Bell show fiasco, and all the rest of it.  

To some, he is now a professional remote viewer, to me he is just another flim flam man, still.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GTBighair said:

:farout: literally.....:coffeetime:

Ahh... His response was quick.

Hi Michael,
Thanks greatly for the nice offer to appear on your show. I don't do interviews much any longer. There is just not enough time to handle them. But I do want to thank you for thinking of me. Truly.
Warmly,
Courtney

Courtney Brown, Ph.D. 
The Farsight Institute 
Web: www.courtneybrown.com 
Also: www.farsight.org 

1 hour ago, Full Throttle said:

People have forgotten about his failure with, and involvement with the hale bopp Comet, The Art Bell show fiasco, and all the rest of it.  

To some, he is now a professional remote viewer, to me he is just another flim flam man, still.

His claim in my email is that he's far too busy... But he hasn't been relevant since 97. Perhaps he knows I'm going to question him on this.

• Like 1

If people can see the ridiculousness of this then surely they have the capacity to realise that a lump of ice in space that has probably been orbiting the sun for millennia has no significance unless it hits the Earth which is highly unlikely.

Religion has a lot to answer for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Projectlunar said:

His claim in my email is that he's far too busy... But he hasn't been relevant since 97. Perhaps he knows I'm going to question him on this.

Tell him he can promote his vids and stuff during the interview, then kinda, don't give him the chance.

1 hour ago, Full Throttle said:

Tell him he can promote his vids and stuff during the interview, then kinda, don't give him the chance.

I sent him a follow up, saying it was unfortunate.... I did say the offer is always there if he does decide to be on.

I never could decide if they were trying to show the risks of alternative religion or promote Nike

7 hours ago, lostlogin said:

I never could decide if they were trying to show the risks of alternative religion or promote Nike

In the interview I said I wanted a pair & that was the best endorsement you can imagine. That's awful to say, however they would sell huge if Nike brought them back.

That of course is the Nike decade, eBay has a few that are selling for astronomical prices.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.