AgedLace

Gospel of John - Chapter 2

Posted (edited)

I am being prompted by Him to go ahead and move on to Chapter 2 ... so here we go.  Please read and meditate upon the Scripture passage 2 or 3 times over the next day or two; more if you are able.  Continue asking Him to reveal to you what He wants to show you in His Word.  In a few days, I will post the Cross Reference, as well as the Discussion Questions He has given me.  There is also 1 word study this week.  I will most likely be posting that tomorrow.

IMPORTANT - please read the NOTE at the bottom of this post - thank you!!!

-----------------------------------------

Father God,

I ask You to grant us Your Wisdom regarding Your Word. I ask You to please correct every wrong pre-conceived idea or understanding we have regarding Your Word; that You would prevent any error from being introduced. I ask that You would open our eyes to what Your Word really says and that I would accept and believe it. Please plant Your Word deeply within my heart and that it would produce much good fruit for your glory, honor and praise.

Thank You, Father, that You have sent Your Holy Spirit to be my Teacher that I have no need for anyone to teach me.

In Jesus' Name, Amen.

----------------------------------------

The Wedding at Cana

1 The next day (a) there was a wedding celebration in the village of Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, 2 and Jesus and his disciples were also invited to the celebration. 3 The wine supply ran out during the festivities, so Jesus’ mother told him, “They have no more wine.”

4 “Dear woman, that’s not our problem,” Jesus replied. “My time has not yet come.”

5 But his mother told the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”

6 Standing nearby were six stone water jars, used for Jewish ceremonial washing. Each could hold twenty to thirty gallons. (b) 7 Jesus told the servants, “Fill the jars with water.” When the jars had been filled, 8 he said, “Now dip some out, and take it to the master of ceremonies.” So the servants followed his instructions.

9 When the master of ceremonies tasted the water that was now wine, not knowing where it had come from (though, of course, the servants knew), he called the bridegroom over. 10 “A host always serves the best wine first,” he said. “Then, when everyone has had a lot to drink, he brings out the less expensive wine. But you have kept the best until now!”

11 This miraculous sign at Cana in Galilee was the first time Jesus revealed his glory. And his disciples believed in him.

12 After the wedding he went to Capernaum for a few days with his mother, his brothers, and his disciples.

Jesus Clears the Temple

13 It was nearly time for the Jewish Passover celebration, so Jesus went to Jerusalem. 14 In the Temple area he saw merchants selling cattle, sheep, and doves for sacrifices; he also saw dealers at tables exchanging foreign money. 15 Jesus made a whip from some ropes and chased them all out of the Temple. He drove out the sheep and cattle, scattered the money changers’ coins over the floor, and turned over their tables. 16 Then, going over to the people who sold doves, he told them, “Get these things out of here. Stop turning my Father’s house into a marketplace!”

17 Then his disciples remembered this prophecy from the Scriptures: “Passion for God’s house will consume me.” (c)

18 But the Jewish leaders demanded, “What are you doing? If God gave you authority to do this, show us a miraculous sign to prove it.”

19 “All right,” Jesus replied. “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”

20 “What!” they exclaimed. “It has taken forty-six years to build this Temple, and you can rebuild it in three days?” 21 But when Jesus said “this temple,” he meant his own body. 22 After he was raised from the dead, his disciples remembered he had said this, and they believed both the Scriptures and what Jesus had said.

Jesus and Nicodemus

23 Because of the miraculous signs Jesus did in Jerusalem at the Passover celebration, many began to trust in him. 24 But Jesus didn’t trust them, because he knew human nature. 25 No one needed to tell him what mankind is really like.

Footnotes:
a 2:1 Greek On the third day; see 1:35, 43.
b 2:6 Greek 2 or 3 measures [75 to 113 liters].
c 2:17 Or “Concern for God’s house will be my undoing.” Ps 69:9.

Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007.
Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188.
All Rights Reserved.

----------------------------------
NOTE - KJV / NASB / AMCP and almost every other translation says "on the third day" in verse 1; NLT says "the next day"

See the footnote (a) above. It seems obvious they are counting John 1:35 as the 'first' day; John 1:43 as the 'second' day, and therefore, John 2:1 would be the 'third', or next day.

Edited by AgedLace

Cross Reference for Verse 17

[Psa 69:9 NLT]
Passion for your house has consumed me, and the insults of those who insult you have fallen on me.

• Like 1

Discussion Questions

What do you think the purpose was for Jesus performing the miracle at the Cana marriage?

Was it done solely in obedience to His mother's request?

What was the result of this miracle upon the disciples?

What Old Testament prophecy did Jesus fulfill when He cleansed the temple?

What was the result when the disciples realized Jesus fulfilled Old Testament prophecy?

What is the Jewish Passover?

What is it's significance?

Do you believe there is a correlation between the Passover Lamb and John the Baptist's identification of Jesus as the Lamb of God, from Chapter 1?

What has the Lord been revealing to you personally through this passage?

Are any verses "jumping out" at you?

Is there anything in this passage that you can apply to your life today?

On 6/12/2018 at 2:28 AM, AgedLace said:

What do you think the purpose was for Jesus performing the miracle at the Cana marriage?

Tough one. It's something that's stuck in stubborn obdurate minds ever since and who knows for how many this story, heard as a child in a pew, one day became the reason they're faith-filled as opposed to faith-fooled.

Was it done solely in obedience to His mother's request?

No.

What was the result of this miracle upon the disciples?

They gained faith, which they should have had. 

Not sure.

I know I could find it if I looked but I'd much rather discuss the actual background and act itself, it's very significant, in terms of why Jesus did it, and also in how and in what He did. Worth explication, for this act of "violence" is unique in The Lamb.

Trouble is my dear host, my questions don't accommodate a paced walk through John such as you are led to undertake. I am more than happy to leave them for another day.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

6 Standing nearby were six stone water jars, used for Jewish ceremonial washing. Each could hold twenty to thirty gallons. (b) 7 Jesus told the servants, “Fill the jars with water.” When the jars had been filled, 8 he said, “Now dip some out, and take it to the master of ceremonies.” So the servants followed his instructions.

I've always wondered what the symbolism in the miracle the wine at Cana was.  Never felt like I had much insight into it but I am fully convinced every miracle He did contained a message. 

The jars are a bit of an oddity.  Diving  into the Greek I suspected "stone" was a euphemism for "clay", which is what I'd have expected such jars to be made of in that day.  It is not.  The Greek word used is "lithinos" which refers to "worked stone" or "cut stone", not the Greek "pelos" which refers to clay jars.

Those must have been unusually expensive water vessels since the Greek indicates  they were truly hewn jars, carved out of a monolithic block of stone.

I find the interaction between Jesus and His mother puzzling as well.  What was going on there?  Why did Mary bring the problem to Jesus' attention in the first place?  Why did He seem to imply it was not His problem to address?   Or did He imply that at all?  What did He mean by "My time has not yet come."?

Yet Mary apparently persists by giving the servants instructions ....and Jesus did in fact fix the problem once the servants had refilled the jars.

I am betting there's some revelation in all that :)

Edited by Jostler
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Lamb93 said:

I thought cross-references were important.  Had they been clay jars it would have caused confusion with Revelation, no?

this is the last time I respond to one of your derailing attempts.  Rev 2:27 is talking about nations, not clay jars, and it "obliges" nothing in relation to the stone jars at Cana.  Your post is an off-topic, non-sequitur.  But you  already knew that.

Edited by Jostler
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr. Evil said:

Trouble is my dear host, my questions don't accommodate a paced walk through John such as you are led to undertake. I am more than happy to leave them for another day.

Pray about it ... if the Lord leads you ... open a thread or few in Off Topic ... let's see where He takes it.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Lamb93 said:

I thought cross-references were important.  Had they been clay jars it would have caused confusion with Revelation, no?

Strike three - you're out.  As @Jostler pointed out, your Revelation "cross reference" has no bearing on this chapter whatsoever.

Edited by AgedLace
  • Angry 1

6 hours ago, Dr. Evil said:

I know I could find it if I looked but I'd much rather discuss the actual background and act itself, it's very significant, in terms of why Jesus did it, and also in how and in what He did. Worth explication, for this act of "violence" is unique in The Lamb.

Check out the cross-reference for verse 17 ...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AgedLace said:

Check out the cross-reference for verse 17 ...

Ok for those just joining, this was in response to the question:

And 17 (i.e. chapter 2:17) says: 

c 2:17 Or “Concern for God’s house will be my undoing.” Ps 69:9.

So this is the context of the question.

John is all about who Jesus was. The other gospels are about what Jesus did, John is focused mostly on why He did what He did.

So why did he take this action against these money changers, is the question.

This took place prior to the implementation of the Covenant of the Blood of the Lamb. Jesus did this when animal sacrifice was still required under Mosaic Law. Doves, sheep and fatted calves were amongst the acceptable animal offerings.

These HAD to be sacrificed at the altar by the pious lest their worship prove less than acceptable, and this was the law, not merely human law, this was the Mosaic/Deuterocanonical Law given to the Israelites.

And here at the very entrance to the temple within several hundred metres of the Holy of Holies, you had these people not only charging gajillions for doves but ripping people off in the exchange rate between denarius and sestertii because if you couldn't afford an animal then the only alternative was the Sestertius and most people in Israel at the time couldn't afford anything.

The money changers therefore represented a barrier, a real barrier, between YHWH and His chosen people. 

Some might think: who cares? Why couldn't YHWH simply ignore this inconvenience? Intent is clear. That's good enough.

Such approach ignores the environment we live in, which is based on natural law. YHWH is a God of Law. So is Satan a master of it (whom incidentally the money changers were being unknowingly or knowingly influenced by). A law may come, it may go, but as of a certain moment in time, a law legitimately enacted by proper authority is a law and that is how everyone subject to the jurisdiction, no exceptions, must operate, period. YHWH Himself voluntarily submits Himself to this regime. He doesn't have to, but He does.

Jesus did what He did to remove the barriers to worship emplaced by people either knowingly or ignorantly undermining the law that no barriers whatsoever should be placed between a person and YHWH. 

IMO Satan broke a rule there and YHWH sent in the SEAL Team. But wouldn't it be interesting to know the body count. Because I've never seen reports of any injuries arising from. And given all opportunities for satanic slander of that incident arising in the last 2000+ years, isn't it interesting the merest hint of an attempt at that wickedness has never, ever come about. 

Which reinforces my belief: that Satan is bound by these laws as tightly as all of us, and we can't prevaricate, we can't hide, we can't mitigate and we can't escape.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Evil said:

Ok for those just joining, this was in response to the question:

And 17 (i.e. chapter 2:17) says: 

So this is the context of the question.

John is all about who Jesus was. The other gospels are about what Jesus did, John is focused mostly on why He did what He did.

So why did he take this action against these money changers, is the question.

This took place prior to the implementation of the Covenant of the Blood of the Lamb. Jesus did this when animal sacrifice was still required under Mosaic Law. Doves, sheep and fatted calves were amongst the acceptable animal offerings.

These HAD to be sacrificed at the altar by the pious lest their worship prove less than acceptable, and this was the law, not merely human law, this was the Mosaic/Deuterocanonical Law given to the Israelites.

And here at the very entrance to the temple within several hundred metres of the Holy of Holies, you had these people not only charging gajillions for doves but ripping people off in the exchange rate between denarius and sestertii because if you couldn't afford an animal then the only alternative was the Sestertius and most people in Israel at the time couldn't afford anything.

The money changers therefore represented a barrier, a real barrier, between YHWH and His chosen people. 

Some might think: who cares? Why couldn't YHWH simply ignore this inconvenience? Intent is clear. That's good enough.

Such approach ignores the environment we live in, which is based on natural law. YHWH is a God of Law. So is Satan a master of it (whom incidentally the money changers were being unknowingly or knowingly influenced by). A law may come, it may go, but as of a certain moment in time, a law legitimately enacted by proper authority is a law and that is how everyone subject to the jurisdiction, no exceptions, must operate, period. YHWH Himself voluntarily submits Himself to this regime. He doesn't have to, but He does.

Jesus did what He did to remove the barriers to worship emplaced by people either knowingly or ignorantly undermining the law that no barriers whatsoever should be placed between a person and YHWH. 

IMO Satan broke a rule there and YHWH sent in the SEAL Team. But wouldn't it be interesting to know the body count. Because I've never seen reports of any injuries arising from. And given all opportunities for satanic slander of that incident arising in the last 2000+ years, isn't it interesting the merest hint of an attempt at that wickedness has never, ever come about. 

Which reinforces my belief: that Satan is bound by these laws as tightly as all of us, and we can't prevaricate, we can't hide, we can't mitigate and we can't escape.

Excellent post and very thought provoking. 

I am hoping that others who are getting insight from the Holy Spirit will share what He is showing them about this topic as well.

THANK YOU for sharing!

I am slow to respond because I'm overwhelmed by just the first half of the chapter!  There is so much here. 

The parts that stood out to me:

1. "on the third day a wedding took place"
  2.  The conversation between Mary and Jesus 
  3.  The six stone water jars and the significance of water to wine 

1). I need to study my first bullet point more; I believe there is a reason it was mentioned that the wedding was on the "third day" ...

2).  The conversation between Jesus's mother Mary and Jesus is very perplexing.   With the problem at hand of the wedding feast running out of wine, Mary turns directly to Jesus, indicating to me that she believed, had the faith, (without any history of his miracles yet)  that Jesus would fix this problem.   Jesus's seemingly odd response, " my time has not yet come" cues us to look at the future, a bigger picture perhaps.  

I find it telling that Jesus's first miracle takes place at a wedding, given that the entire Bible is about a divine wedding, with Jesus as the ultimate Bridegroom,

Luke 5:33-35 (Jesus refers to himself as the bridegroom)

And Jesus said to them, "You cannot make the attendants of the bridegroom fast while the bridegroom is with them, can you? "But the days will come; and when the bridegroom is taken away from them, then they will fast in those days." And they said to Him, "The disciples of John often fast and offer prayers, the disciples of the Pharisees also do the same, but Yours eat and drink."

More here:  https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Jesus-As-A-Bridegroom

and his Bride, 

Corinthians 11:2-3 

11 I hope you will put up with me in a little foolishness. Yes, please put up with me! 2 I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy. I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him. 3 But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ.

Rev 19:6-8

Revelation 19:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

6 Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters and like loud peals of thunder, shouting:

“Hallelujah!
    For our Lord God Almighty reigns.
7 Let us rejoice and be glad
    and give him glory!
For the wedding of the Lamb has come,
    and his bride has made herself ready
8 Fine linen, bright and clean,
    was given her to wear.”

(Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of God’s holy people.)

More here:  

At the very end of the Bible:

Revelation 22:17 English Standard Version (ESV)

17 The Spirit and the Bride say, “Come.” And let the one who hears say, “Come.” And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price.

The study of the bridegroom and bride is a huge study in and of itself, and how it corresponds to the traditional Jewish wedding is fascinating!  A wonderful resource here: http://bridalcovenant.com/wedding1.html

More later ...

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.