AgedLace

Gospel of John - Chapter 1

Re: John 1-4   Interesting that the Word is described as a "divine utterance" according to Strongs concordance. In Genesis God spoke (a vibration) everything into existence! 

The other verses that stood out to me were:

John 1: 12–13  Believers are given the power to overcome fleshly things. To become children of God!  As in Matt 18:3-5 (NIV)

3 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.

To me, to become a child brings to mind an image of a child in a car seat who, without thought or analysis, allows the driver/parent all control.  We need to trust and believe through faith, that God has got us covered in all aspects of our lives.  Believe in him as the ultimate Father who knows better than we (that's where the humble part comes in ?!)

To be continued in my next post here...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, One Step Away said:

Re: John 1-4   Interesting that the Word is described as a "divine utterance" according to Strongs concordance. In Genesis God spoke (a vibration) everything into existence! 

The other verses that stood out to me were:

John 1: 12–13  Believers are given the power to overcome fleshly things. To become children of God!  As in Matt 18:3-5 (NIV)

3 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.

To me, to become a child brings to mind an image of a child in a car seat who, without thought or analysis, allows the driver/parent all control.  We need to trust and believe through faith, that God has got us covered in all aspects of our lives.  Believe in him as the ultimate Father who knows better than we (that's where the humble part comes in ?!)

To be continued in my next post here...

These are awesome revelations from the Holy Spirit, @One Step Away!  Thank you so much for sharing them.

I look forward to what else God has been revealing to you through this passage.

The following verses in John show that not only can Jesus know/read minds

John 1:47  (KJV)  

47 Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!

Jesus, can also prophesy, telling Nathanael (John 1:51) he will see heaven open and witness angels ascending and descending upon the Son of Man 

Nathaniel and the disciples later witnessed:

Acts 1:9-11 King James Version (KJV)

9 And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.

10 And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel;

11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

I'm not that familiar with the NLT version, but I really loved the reference in John 1:51 of the Son of Man to "the one who is the stairway between heaven and earth"!

(Jacob's ladder :) )

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, One Step Away said:

I'm not that familiar with the NLT version, but I really loved the reference in John 1:51 of the Son of Man to "the one who is the stairway between heaven and earth"!

(Jacob's ladder :) )

I'm not as familiar with it as I am with a few of the other versions either.  It's interesting that you caught that reference too!  It's just so awesome when we see those little confirmations.

Thank you again for sharing what He's revealing to you through the Scripture. 

• Like 1

If any one can offer insight into John 1:42, I welcome it.   I'm not sure I understand the significance of Jesus changing Simon's name to Cephas… Is there a backstory to this? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, One Step Away said:

If any one can offer insight into John 1:42, I welcome it.   I'm not sure I understand the significance of Jesus changing Simon's name to Cephas… Is there a backstory to this? 

Excellent question ... and one I do not have an answer for, but I do know the One Who does!

Father God,

We are asking You to grant us Your insight and understanding with respect to the significance of Jesus changing Simon's name to Cephas (which we know means 'rock').  We await Your guidance as You continue to lead us and teach us through Your Holy Living Word.   In Jesus' Name ... amen.

Edited by AgedLace
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Jostler said:

I think I have at least part of an answer to this.  AgedLace, this is a rather lengthy answer that drifts pretty far from John Chapter 1, I'm honestly not certain this is the right place for it and if you determine it doesn't fit your  intent I heartily support any remedy you  deem appropriate, from deletion to moving to its own thread....whatever.  I'll help make what  ever change you  deem appropriate if my help is required at all.  Go as led :)   I'll drop it here first because I'm not sure  of a better way.

I agree it should be in it's own thread ... I'll move it to it's own thread under BIble Study tabfor now. 

Thank you for sharing.

Edited by AgedLace

Posted (edited)

I have begun preparing for Chapter 2.  That said, I don't want to leave chapter 1 too early.  If people would like to continue working on chapter 1 another day or so, please let me know.  I will put up an anonymous poll as soon as I figure out how to do that.  I want to ensure that no one is left behind [no rapture reference intended]. 

Here is the link to the poll.  Thank you for your participation!

EDIT - Poll no longer exists.  Thank you.

Edited by AgedLace

Father God,

I ask You to lead this discussion regarding Your Word.  I invite Your Holy Spirit to come and teach us; to reveal what You desire for us to see and understand in Your Word.  I ask that You would open the eyes of our understanding and plant Your Word deeply into our hearts that it may produce much good fruit for Your glory, honor and praise.  I ask You also, dear Father, that You would correct any and all misconceived ideas we may have about what Your Word says; please make us willing and able to lay aside anything and everything that does not line up with what Your Word says and means.  Thank You, Holy Father.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

-------------------------------------------

Okay ... let's take the Discussion Questions a few at a time.  I will post the questions; let each give what God has revealed to them, then we can further discuss [if necessary]. 

Let us begin ...

Who is the Word?

When did the Word come into existence?

What does this passage mean when it says "in the beginning"?

I have continued praying about whether God will allow me to participate in this study.  His answer is still 'no', so I will abide by that.  I do not want to interfere in any way with what He wants to do here.  He has given me very strong reasons for doing things this way.

We all know that really bad times are coming.  It is, literally, going to be a life - death issue that people have a very personal relationship with God in order to get through these times.  This Bible Study is designed to cultivate people's utter and total dependence upon Him to teach them what the Bible says - for three reasons. 

1.  God loves us so much that He wants to have a very close and intimate relationship with us.  Our faith is supposed to be in Him; not family; not friends; not pastors / preachers; not televangelists; not anyone - except Him.  He is so passionate about this that He specifically sent us the Holy Spirit to help us and to teach us. 

2.  Those who have cultivated this intimate personal relationship with Him will KNOW, beyond any shadow of a doubt, what the Word really says, thus protecting them from the great deception that is coming upon the whole earth. 

[Mat 24:24 NLT]
For false messiahs and false prophets will rise up and perform great signs and wonders so as to deceive, if possible, even God's chosen ones.

3.  By participating in this Bible Study, people will be cultivating their relationship with the Father; they will be growing closer to Him and they will come to KNOW Him intimately.  This is where the life - death issue comes in.  Days are coming when it will be critical to be as intimate with Him as possible; there will be very few Bible believing people, if any, around to rely on regarding the unfolding events of prophecy.  He has given me the understanding there may be small pockets, or groups, of people scattered across the globe; what do you think the chances are of there being Bible-believers who really know the Word and the Voice of God in these small groups?  There will be no time to cultivate a relationship with Him or learn to know His voice in those times; people will literally be consumed with just trying to stay alive because they are being hunted down like animals. 

The great deception will be so strong that unless one is totally and utterly grounded in His Word and KNOWS His voice, they WILL be deceived.  If you think the deception is bad now, it is only going to get worse ... far worse. 

Because of these reasons, as much as I desire to participate in this study of God's Word, I cannot, in good conscience, do so.  I do not want to stand before the Judgment Seat and have Him lay this charge at my feet - that because of my willful disobedience, others will have lost their lives, or worse, been condemned to hell because they never learned to KNOW His Word or His voice.

Thank you for your time, and for your prayers!  I appreciate every single one who is here, both those who post, and those who don't.  You are not here by 'chance'; I prayed for two weeks before this Club opened that He would bring those He desired to minister to and to teach; I asked Him to prepare your hearts and minds to receive whatever it is He has for you; that His Word would be planted in your hearts and that it would bear much fruit ... all for His glory and honor and praise.  So, if you find yourself here, it is because He chose you; He prepared you; and He is here to draw you even closer to Himself.  And above all else ... He loves you; He knows what's going on in your life right now; He knows ... and He cares; He wants you to learn to give everything over to Him and rely on Him ... for EVERYTHING.  You can do NOTHING in your own strength.  It wasn't until I *finally* learned that lesson, that He was able to do in me, and through me, what He desires to for all of us. 

I don't know who the Father is speaking to right now, but I am absolutely certain there is *someone* who is here that He is speaking to.  If you don't want to publicly speak here, my pm is always open.  If I can pray for you, or help you in any way that He sees fit, I would be privileged to do so. 

I'm getting one last Word from Him .... Yes ... He loves YOU too!!! You *can* dare to believe; You *can* dare to hope ... I just encourage you to step out in faith ... just take that first little step ... let Him prove Himself to you.  You will not be disappointed.  I am adding you to my prayer list; that He strengthens you and empowers you to trust Him enough to take that first step. 

He is giving me a Scripture here ...

[Isa 55:1 NLT]
"Is anyone thirsty? Come and drink--even if you have no money! Come, take your choice of wine or milk--it's all free!

Father God,

I ask You to reach this one whom You are speaking to directly.  I ask You to meet them right where they are; that they would receive Your comfort; Your Peace; Your Spirit; Your Love; I ask You they would sense You reaching out Your Loving Hand towards them, encouraging them to reach out and take Yours; draw them to Yourself, Holy One; speak to them; reveal Yourself to them as only You can.  Thank You that You love us so intimately; Thank You that You care about the smallest details of our lives.  Thank You that we can come to You and entrust You with everything; Thank You that You do hear and answer our prayers.  In Jesus' Name.   Amen.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Jostler said:

One Step, I have avoided this because ...

@Jostler,

One of the most important things God has given me for this study is that it is the Holy Spirit Who is the Teacher here.  I truly appreciate your heart / intent, but I am asking that you allow Him to lead people.  I have no issue with you sharing what the Lord has shown you.  Nor do I have any issue with what the Holy Spirit has shown @One Step Away.  In the introduction, He specifically gave me this ...

NOTE - There are no 'right' or 'wrong' answers. The whole point is for God to speak directly to each of us individually through His Word as we each have need, and as He sees fit. We are all in different places on our journey; what He speaks to one, will not necessarily be what He speaks to another. Remember the "Rule of Love" above.

He has specifically shown me at least two weeks before I opened this Club that this type of thing was going to come up.  I've been praying and asking Him what He would have me to do.  Thus, this post. 

Again, I know your sincerity and your heart, and I mean no disrespect to you whatsoever.  All I know is that He wants to lead and teach people Himself.  They need to have the confidence and assurance to know *they* hear from God, too. 

Edited by AgedLace

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.