Purchase An Ad Slot!
AgedLace

Gospel of John - Chapter 1

Cross References for verse 12

Mat 10:40 NLT
"Anyone who receives you receives me, and anyone who receives me receives the Father who sent me.

Mat 18:5 NLT
"And anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf is welcoming me.

Col 2:6 NLT
And now, just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, you must continue to follow him.

Rom 8:14 NLT
For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God.

Gal 3:26 NLT
For you are all children of God through faith in Christ Jesus.

Gal 4:6 NLT
And because we are his children, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, prompting us to call out, "Abba, Father."

1Jo 3:1 NLT
See how very much our Father loves us, for he calls us his children, and that is what we are! But the people who belong to this world don't recognize that we are God's children because they don't know him.

Jhn 20:31 NLT
But these are written so that you may continue to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing in him you will have life by the power of his name.

Mat 12:21 NLT
And his name will be the hope of all the world."

1Jo 3:23 NLT
And this is his commandment: We must believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as he commanded us.

1Jo 5:12 NLT
Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have God's Son does not have life.

Cross References for verse 13

Jhn 3:3 NLT
Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the Kingdom of God."

Jhn 3:5 NLT
Jesus replied, "I assure you, no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit.

Jas 1:18 NLT
He chose to give birth to us by giving us his true word. And we, out of all creation, became his prized possession.

1Pe 1:3 NLT
All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. It is by his great mercy that we have been born again, because God raised Jesus Christ from the dead. Now we live with great expectation,

1Pe 1:23 NLT
For you have been born again, but not to a life that will quickly end. Your new life will last forever because it comes from the eternal, living word of God.

1Jo 5:1 NLT
Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has become a child of God. And everyone who loves the Father loves his children, too.

Cross References for verse 14

Luk 2:11 NLT
The Savior--yes, the Messiah, the Lord--has been born today in Bethlehem, the city of David!

Rom 1:3 -4  NLT
3 The Good News is about his Son. In his earthly life he was born into King David's family line, 4 and he was shown to be the Son of God when he was raised from the dead by the power of the Holy Spirit. He is Jesus Christ our Lord.

Phl 2:6 - 8 NLT
6 Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. 7 Instead, he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being. When he appeared in human form, 8 he humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal's death on a cross.

1Ti 3:16 NLT
Without question, this is the great mystery of our faith: Christ was revealed in a human body and vindicated by the Spirit. He was seen by angels and announced to the nations. He was believed in throughout the world and taken to heaven in glory.

Heb 2:11 NLT
So now Jesus and the ones he makes holy have the same Father. That is why Jesus is not ashamed to call them his brothers and sisters.

Heb 2:14 - 17 NLT
14 Because God's children are human beings--made of flesh and blood--the Son also became flesh and blood. For only as a human being could he die, and only by dying could he break the power of the devil, who had the power of death. 15 Only in this way could he set free all who have lived their lives as slaves to the fear of dying. 16 We also know that the Son did not come to help angels; he came to help the descendants of Abraham. 17 Therefore, it was necessary for him to be made in every respect like us, his brothers and sisters, so that he could be our merciful and faithful High Priest before God. Then he could offer a sacrifice that would take away the sins of the people.

Heb 10:5 NLT
That is why, when Christ came into the world, he said to God, "You did not want animal sacrifices or sin offerings. But you have given me a body to offer.

1Jo 4:2 - 3 NLT
2 This is how we know if they have the Spirit of God: If a person claiming to be a prophet acknowledges that Jesus Christ came in a real body, that person has the Spirit of God. 3 But if someone claims to be a prophet and does not acknowledge the truth about Jesus, that person is not from God. Such a person has the spirit of the Antichrist, which you heard is coming into the world and indeed is already here.

2Jo 1:7 NLT
I say this because many deceivers have gone out into the world. They deny that Jesus Christ came in a real body. Such a person is a deceiver and an antichrist.

Mat 17:2 NLT
As the men watched, Jesus' appearance was transformed so that his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as light.

Mat 17:5 NLT
But even as he spoke, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy. Listen to him."

2Co 4:4 NLT
Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don't believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don't understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.

2Co 4:6 NLT
For God, who said, "Let there be light in the darkness," has made this light shine in our hearts so we could know the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ.

Heb 1:3 NLT
The Son radiates God's own glory and expresses the very character of God, and he sustains everything by the mighty power of his command. When he had cleansed us from our sins, he sat down in the place of honor at the right hand of the majestic God in heaven.

2Pe 1:17 NLT
when he received honor and glory from God the Father. The voice from the majestic glory of God said to him, "This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy."

1Jo 1:1 - 2 NLT
1 We proclaim to you the one who existed from the beginning, whom we have heard and seen. We saw him with our own eyes and touched him with our own hands. He is the Word of life. 2 This one who is life itself was revealed to us, and we have seen him. And now we testify and proclaim to you that he is the one who is eternal life. He was with the Father, and then he was revealed to us.

Cross References for verse 16

Col 2:10 NLT
So you also are complete through your union with Christ, who is the head over every ruler and authority.

Mat 13:12 NLT
To those who listen to my teaching, more understanding will be given, and they will have an abundance of knowledge. But for those who are not listening, even what little understanding they have will be taken away from them.

Rom 5:2 NLT
Because of our faith, Christ has brought us into this place of undeserved privilege where we now stand, and we confidently and joyfully look forward to sharing God's glory.

Eph 1:6 - 8 NLT
6 So we praise God for the glorious grace he has poured out on us who belong to his dear Son. 7 He is so rich in kindness and grace that he purchased our freedom with the blood of his Son and forgave our sins. 8 He has showered his kindness on us, along with all wisdom and understanding.

Eph 2:5 - 9 NLT
5 that even though we were dead because of our sins, he gave us life when he raised Christ from the dead. (It is only by God's grace that you have been saved!) 6 For he raised us from the dead along with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ Jesus. 7 So God can point to us in all future ages as examples of the incredible wealth of his grace and kindness toward us, as shown in all he has done for us who are united with Christ Jesus. 8 God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can't take credit for this; it is a gift from God. 9 Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it.

Cross References for verse 17

Act 7:38 NLT
Moses was with our ancestors, the assembly of God's people in the wilderness, when the angel spoke to him at Mount Sinai. And there Moses received life-giving words to pass on to us.

Rom 3:19 - 20 NLT
19 Obviously, the law applies to those to whom it was given, for its purpose is to keep people from having excuses, and to show that the entire world is guilty before God. 20 For no one can ever be made right with God by doing what the law commands. The law simply shows us how sinful we are.

Rom 5:20 - 21 NLT
20 God's law was given so that all people could see how sinful they were. But as people sinned more and more, God's wonderful grace became more abundant. 21 So just as sin ruled over all people and brought them to death, now God's wonderful grace rules instead, giving us right standing with God and resulting in eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

2Co 3:7 - 10 NLT
7 The old way, with laws etched in stone, led to death, though it began with such glory that the people of Israel could not bear to look at Moses' face. For his face shone with the glory of God, even though the brightness was already fading away. 8 Shouldn't we expect far greater glory under the new way, now that the Holy Spirit is giving life? 9 If the old way, which brings condemnation, was glorious, how much more glorious is the new way, which makes us right with God! 10 In fact, that first glory was not glorious at all compared with the overwhelming glory of the new way.

Gal 3:10 - 13 NLT
10 But those who depend on the law to make them right with God are under his curse, for the Scriptures say, "Cursed is everyone who does not observe and obey all the commands that are written in God's Book of the Law." 11 So it is clear that no one can be made right with God by trying to keep the law. For the Scriptures say, "It is through faith that a righteous person has life." 12 This way of faith is very different from the way of law, which says, "It is through obeying the law that a person has life." 13 But Christ has rescued us from the curse pronounced by the law. When he was hung on the cross, he took upon himself the curse for our wrongdoing. For it is written in the Scriptures, "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree."

Heb 3:5 - 6 NLT
5 Moses was certainly faithful in God's house as a servant. His work was an illustration of the truths God would reveal later. 6 But Christ, as the Son, is in charge of God's entire house. And we are God's house, if we keep our courage and remain confident in our hope in Christ.

Heb 8:8 - 12 NLT
8 But when God found fault with the people, he said: "The day is coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and Judah. 9 This covenant will not be like the one I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand and led them out of the land of Egypt. They did not remain faithful to my covenant, so I turned my back on them, says the LORD. 10 But this is the new covenant I will make with the people of Israel on that day, says the LORD: I will put my laws in their minds, and I will write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. 11 And they will not need to teach their neighbors, nor will they need to teach their relatives, saying, 'You should know the LORD.' For everyone, from the least to the greatest, will know me already. 12 And I will forgive their wickedness, and I will never again remember their sins."

Act 13:34 - 39 NLT
34 For God had promised to raise him from the dead, not leaving him to rot in the grave. He said, 'I will give you the sacred blessings I promised to David.' 35 Another psalm explains it more fully: 'You will not allow your Holy One to rot in the grave.' 36 This is not a reference to David, for after David had done the will of God in his own generation, he died and was buried with his ancestors, and his body decayed. 37 No, it was a reference to someone else--someone whom God raised and whose body did not decay. 38 "Brothers, listen! We are here to proclaim that through this man Jesus there is forgiveness for your sins. 39 Everyone who believes in him is declared right with God--something the law of Moses could never do.

Rom 3:21 - 26 NLT
21 But now God has shown us a way to be made right with him without keeping the requirements of the law, as was promised in the writings of Moses and the prophets long ago. 22 We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ. And this is true for everyone who believes, no matter who we are. 23 For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God's glorious standard. 24 Yet God, with undeserved kindness, declares that we are righteous. He did this through Christ Jesus when he freed us from the penalty for our sins. 25 For God presented Jesus as the sacrifice for sin. People are made right with God when they believe that Jesus sacrificed his life, shedding his blood. This sacrifice shows that God was being fair when he held back and did not punish those who sinned in times past, 26 for he was looking ahead and including them in what he would do in this present time. God did this to demonstrate his righteousness, for he himself is fair and just, and he declares sinners to be right in his sight when they believe in Jesus.

Rom 6:14 NLT
Sin is no longer your master, for you no longer live under the requirements of the law. Instead, you live under the freedom of God's grace.

Heb 9:22 NLT
In fact, according to the law of Moses, nearly everything was purified with blood. For without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness.

Heb 10:4 - 10 NLT
4 For it is not possible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins. 5 That is why, when Christ came into the world, he said to God, "You did not want animal sacrifices or sin offerings. But you have given me a body to offer. 6 You were not pleased with burnt offerings or other offerings for sin. 7 Then I said, 'Look, I have come to do your will, O God--as is written about me in the Scriptures.'" 8 First, Christ said, "You did not want animal sacrifices or sin offerings or burnt offerings or other offerings for sin, nor were you pleased with them" (though they are required by the law of Moses). 9 Then he said, "Look, I have come to do your will." He cancels the first covenant in order to put the second into effect. 10 For God's will was for us to be made holy by the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ, once for all time.

Cross References for verse 18

Jhn 6:46 NLT
(Not that anyone has ever seen the Father; only I, who was sent from God, have seen him.)

Mat 11:27 NLT
"My Father has entrusted everything to me. No one truly knows the Son except the Father, and no one truly knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him."

Col 1:15 NLT
Christ is the visible image of the invisible God. He existed before anything was created and is supreme over all creation,

Jhn 14:9 NLT
Jesus replied, "Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and yet you still don't know who I am? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father! So why are you asking me to show him to you?

Jhn 17:26 NLT
I have revealed you to them, and I will continue to do so. Then your love for me will be in them, and I will be in them."

Cross References for verse 21

Mal 4:5 NLT
"Look, I am sending you the prophet Elijah before the great and dreadful day of the LORD arrives.

Mat 11:14 NLT
And if you are willing to accept what I say, he is Elijah, the one the prophets said would come.

Mat 17:10 - 12 NLT
10 Then his disciples asked him, "Why do the teachers of religious law insist that Elijah must return before the Messiah comes?" 11 Jesus replied, "Elijah is indeed coming first to get everything ready. 12 But I tell you, Elijah has already come, but he wasn't recognized, and they chose to abuse him. And in the same way they will also make the Son of Man suffer."

Luk 1:17 NLT
He will be a man with the spirit and power of Elijah. He will prepare the people for the coming of the Lord. He will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children, and he will cause those who are rebellious to accept the wisdom of the godly."

Jhn 1:25 NLT
asked him, "If you aren't the Messiah or Elijah or the Prophet, what right do you have to baptize?"

Deu 18:18 NLT
I will raise up a prophet like you from among their fellow Israelites. I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell the people everything I command him.

Mat 11:9 - 11 NLT
9 Were you looking for a prophet? Yes, and he is more than a prophet. 10 John is the man to whom the Scriptures refer when they say, 'Look, I am sending my messenger ahead of you, and he will prepare your way before you.' 11 "I tell you the truth, of all who have ever lived, none is greater than John the Baptist. Yet even the least person in the Kingdom of Heaven is greater than he is!

Cross References for verse 31

Jhn 1:30 - 31, 33 NLT
30 He is the one I was talking about when I said, 'A man is coming after me who is far greater than I am, for he existed long before me.' 31 I did not recognize him as the Messiah, but I have been baptizing with water so that he might be revealed to Israel." ... 33 I didn't know he was the one, but when God sent me to baptize with water, he told me, 'The one on whom you see the Spirit descend and rest is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.'

Luk 1:76 - 79 NLT
76 "And you, my little son, will be called the prophet of the Most High, because you will prepare the way for the Lord. 77 You will tell his people how to find salvation through forgiveness of their sins. 78 Because of God's tender mercy, the morning light from heaven is about to break upon us, 79 to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, and to guide us to the path of peace."

Mat 3:6 NLT
And when they confessed their sins, he baptized them in the Jordan River.

Mar 1:3 - 5 NLT
3 He is a voice shouting in the wilderness, 'Prepare the way for the LORD's coming! Clear the road for him!'" 4 This messenger was John the Baptist. He was in the wilderness and preached that people should be baptized to show that they had repented of their sins and turned to God to be forgiven. 5 All of Judea, including all the people of Jerusalem, went out to see and hear John. And when they confessed their sins, he baptized them in the Jordan River.

Act 19:4 NLT
Paul said, "John's baptism called for repentance from sin. But John himself told the people to believe in the one who would come later, meaning Jesus."

Cross References for verse 51

Jhn 5:27 NLT
And he has given him authority to judge everyone because he is the Son of Man.

Jhn 12:23 - 24 NLT
23 Jesus replied, "Now the time has come for the Son of Man to enter into his glory. 24 I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat is planted in the soil and dies, it remains alone. But its death will produce many new kernels--a plentiful harvest of new lives.

Dan 7:13 - 14 NLT
13 As my vision continued that night, I saw someone like a son of man coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient One and was led into his presence. 14 He was given authority, honor, and sovereignty over all the nations of the world, so that people of every race and nation and language would obey him. His rule is eternal--it will never end. His kingdom will never be destroyed.

Mat 26:24 NLT
For the Son of Man must die, as the Scriptures declared long ago. But how terrible it will be for the one who betrays him. It would be far better for that man if he had never been born!"

Mar 14:62 NLT
Jesus said, "I AM. And you will see the Son of Man seated in the place of power at God's right hand and coming on the clouds of heaven."

Luk 22:69 NLT
But from now on the Son of Man will be seated in the place of power at God's right hand."

Posted (edited)

I have created a new resource for your convenience.  I started one of the "Work in Progress" Workbooks I mentioned in the Introduction.

If you are interested in viewing it, or possibly downloading it for your own reference you can get it here.

https://www.conspiracyoutpost.com/topic/62357-work-in-progress-bible-study-jesus-workbook/

If you see something I've missed, please let me know, I'll correct it as soon as I am able.

Thank you.

Edited by AgedLace

Good morning my fellow students of the Word of God!  I pray that you have been having an awesome time with the Lord while you prayerfully read and meditate upon His written Word.

I've been praying the last several days and asking Him what He wants to do next.  He has already given me quite an extensive list of questions for this chapter, but I've been getting that for the opening discussion on this chapter He wants to start out a bit differently before we get into those.

I've never conducted a Bible Study quite like this before, so please bear with me as I rely on Him to lead me in the way He would have me to go.

Father God,

I ask You to come and lead this Bible Study; I ask You to come and have Your Will and Your Way here; that You would use me as Your vessel to accomplish Your purposes.  I pray for every single person whom You have called to this study; I lift them up to You and I thank You that You have been preparing their hearts to receive the specific Word You have ordained for each of them through this passage; I pray that You plant Your Word in each one of our hearts and that it would bear a harvest of super abundant fruit, and I pray that fruit would bring You a surpassing amount of glory, honor, praise and thanksgiving.  I thank You that Your Holy Spirit is here to teach us what You meant for us to know and understand about Your Word. Thank You, Holy Father ... in Jesus' Name .... Amen.

The one thing that keeps coming to mind as I pray is this ...

What is it that the Holy Spirit is laying on your heart as you prayerfully read and meditate on this passage? 

Are there any verses which seem to "jump out" at you?  If so, what do you think He is trying to say to you through those verses?

I'm sensing He wants to rest on these two questions for now, so I'll wait to see where He goes with it. 

Posted (edited)

Just the first 4 verses have enough meat in them  to occupy hours of comment. 

Jesus preceded ALL of  creation.

Jesus is God

Jesus is the Word

Jesus is the Creator

Everything that has life was given life by Him

It brings to mind the question of aliens.  If God created us in His image, the very image He knew He would take on Himself, it's pretty  obvious we're pretty special.  Of all the majestic things He created including angels, none is witnessed to bear His image but  mankind.

It was decided somewhere in the counsels of the Trinity, before time began, that a MAN would occupy the Throne over ALL creation. 

Jesus is a man.  That choice was not accidental... He  knew He was going  to take on human form before the first Word of Creation  was spoken.  He  CHOSE that form as the form He wished to rule the universe(s) from.

To believe He created an intelligence superior to the form He intended to take doesn't make logical sense.  No Christian  who has scratched the surface of Biblical revelation should have  to even question whether  intelligent beings with an  origin in this dimension are a threat to us.  They don't exist.

Extra-dimensional "aliens"?   That's a horse of a different color.   And one we've always known from Scripture as Lucifer, fallen angels and demons.  I'm willing to bet they'll present themselves at some point as aliens :)  But its a deception no student of Scripture need fall for.

There are many other passages that  explicitly rule out  the possibility  just as clearly and unambiguously.

Edited by Jostler
  • Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.