AgedLace

Gospel of John - Chapter 1

Posted (edited)

NOTE - If you haven't done so, please read the Club's Introduction - it sets forth the manner in which this Bible Study is to be conducted.

Our study will begin with the Gospel of John.  Sometime this weekend, I will first post the prayer  that God might grant us His Wisdom and Insight, then I will post the 1st Chapter for reading and meditation.  I may also post some cross-references for some verses for those of you who may want to do a bit more in-depth study.

A day or two later, I'll start posting the discussion questions He has given me.

Let us pray ...

Father God,

I dedicate this Bible Study Club to You.  Please come and have Your Will and Your Way here; I offer myself up to You as Your vessel to do with as You see fit that Your Will would be done here.  I pray that people do not see me, but that they would only see Your Son in me. 

I ask that You would protect this Bible Study Club; that You would cause it to be exactly what You want it to be; I ask You for Your grace, mercy, favor and blessing upon all who come. 

I thank You, Holy Father, that You are preparing our hearts to receive Your instruction; please cause us to have an unquenchable thirst for Your Word; please enable us to set aside our preconceived ideas; correct all wrong understandings and to whole-heartedly accept and embrace what Your Word really says. 

I ask that You would write Your Word upon our hearts that it might bear much good fruit for Your glory and honor and praise.  Finally, I ask that Your Spirit of Love would rule in this place. 

Thank You, Holy God and Father, in Jesus' Name.  Amen.

Edited by AgedLace
  • Like 1

Father God,

I ask You to grant me Your Wisdom regarding Your Word. I ask You to correct every wrong preconceived idea or understanding I have regarding Your Word. I ask that You would open my eyes to what Your Word really says and that I would accept and believe it. Please plant Your Word deeply within my heart and that it would produce much good fruit for your glory, honor and praise.

Thank You, Father, that You have sent Your Holy Spirit to be my Teacher that I have no need for anyone to teach me.

In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Posted (edited)

Here is Chapter 1 - please take the next day or two to prayerfully read it at least 2 or 3 times ... more if you have the time. Ask Him to show you what He wants you to see; to teach you what He wants to teach you, etc., Let Him lead you as to what He wants to do. Then prayerfully read and listen for His promptings or nudges. Pay particular attention to any verse(s) that seem to 'jump' out at you. Pray and meditate over those verses, asking Him what it is He is wanting to reveal to you.

I will start the discussion questions in a day or two, but you don't have to wait until then if you would like to share what He is revealing to you about the passage.
--------------------------------------

Prologue: Christ, the Eternal Word

1 In the beginning the Word already existed.

The Word was with God,

and the Word was God.

2 He existed in the beginning with God.

3 God created everything through him,

and nothing was created except through him.

4 The Word gave life to everything that was created, (a)

and his life brought light to everyone.

5 The light shines in the darkness,

and the darkness can never extinguish it. (b)

6 God sent a man, John the Baptist, (c) 7 to tell about the light so that everyone might believe because of his testimony. 8 John himself was not the light; he was simply a witness to tell about the light. 9 The one who is the true light, who gives light to everyone, was coming into the world.

10 He came into the very world he created, but the world didn’t recognize him. 11 He came to his own people, and even they rejected him. 12 But to all who believed him and accepted him, he gave the right to become children of God. 13 They are reborn—not with a physical birth resulting from human passion or plan, but a birth that comes from God.

14 So the Word became human,d and made his home among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness. (e) And we have seen his glory, the glory of the Father’s one and only Son.

15 John testified about him when he shouted to the crowds, “This is the one I was talking about when I said, ‘Someone is coming after me who is far greater than I am, for he existed long before me.’”

16 From his abundance we have all received one gracious blessing after another. (f) 17 For the law was given through Moses, but God’s unfailing love and faithfulness came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has ever seen God. But the unique One, who is himself God, (g) is near to the Father’s heart. He has revealed God to us.

The Testimony of John the Baptist

19 This was John’s testimony when the Jewish leaders sent priests and Temple assistants,h from Jerusalem to ask John, “Who are you?” 20 He came right out and said, “I am not the Messiah.”

21 “Well then, who are you?” they asked. “Are you Elijah?”

“No,” he replied.

“Are you the Prophet we are expecting?”,i

“No.”

22 “Then who are you? We need an answer for those who sent us. What do you have to say about yourself?”

23 John replied in the words of the prophet Isaiah:

“I am a voice shouting in the wilderness,

‘Clear the way for the Lord’s coming!’”, (j)

24 Then the Pharisees who had been sent 25 asked him, “If you aren’t the Messiah or Elijah or the Prophet, what right do you have to baptize?”

26 John told them, “I baptize with, (k) water, but right here in the crowd is someone you do not recognize. 27 Though his ministry follows mine, I’m not even worthy to be his slave and untie the straps of his sandal.”

28 This encounter took place in Bethany, an area east of the Jordan River, where John was baptizing.

Jesus, the Lamb of God

29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! 30 He is the one I was talking about when I said, ‘A man is coming after me who is far greater than I am, for he existed long before me.’ 31 I did not recognize him as the Messiah, but I have been baptizing with water so that he might be revealed to Israel.”

32 Then John testified, “I saw the Holy Spirit descending like a dove from heaven and resting upon him. 33 I didn’t know he was the one, but when God sent me to baptize with water, he told me, ‘The one on whom you see the Spirit descend and rest is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’ 34 I saw this happen to Jesus, so I testify that he is the Chosen One of God. (l)”

The First Disciples

35 The following day John was again standing with two of his disciples. 36 As Jesus walked by, John looked at him and declared, “Look! There is the Lamb of God!” 37 When John’s two disciples heard this, they followed Jesus.

38 Jesus looked around and saw them following. “What do you want?” he asked them.

They replied, “Rabbi” (which means “Teacher”), “where are you staying?”

39 “Come and see,” he said. It was about four o’clock in the afternoon when they went with him to the place where he was staying, and they remained with him the rest of the day.

40 Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, was one of these men who heard what John said and then followed Jesus. 41 Andrew went to find his brother, Simon, and told him, “We have found the Messiah” (which means “Christ”(m)).

42 Then Andrew brought Simon to meet Jesus. Looking intently at Simon, Jesus said, “Your name is Simon, son of John—but you will be called Cephas” (which means “Peter” (n)).

43 The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee. He found Philip and said to him, “Come, follow me.” 44 Philip was from Bethsaida, Andrew and Peter’s hometown.

45 Philip went to look for Nathanael and told him, “We have found the very person Moses (o) and the prophets wrote about! His name is Jesus, the son of Joseph from Nazareth.”

46 “Nazareth!” exclaimed Nathanael. “Can anything good come from Nazareth?”

“Come and see for yourself,” Philip replied.

47 As they approached, Jesus said, “Now here is a genuine son of Israel—a man of complete integrity.”

48 “How do you know about me?” Nathanael asked.

Jesus replied, “I could see you under the fig tree before Philip found you.”

49 Then Nathanael exclaimed, “Rabbi, you are the Son of God—the King of Israel!”

50 Jesus asked him, “Do you believe this just because I told you I had seen you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than this.” 51 Then he said, “I tell you the truth, you will all see heaven open and the angels of God going up and down on the Son of Man, the one who is the stairway between heaven and earth. (p)”

Footnotes:

a 1:3-4 Or and nothing that was created was created except through him. The Word gave life to everything.
b 1:5 Or and the darkness has not understood it.
c 1:6 Greek a man named John.
d 1:14a Greek became flesh.
e 1:14b Or grace and truth; also in 1:17.
f 1:16 Or received the grace of Christ rather than the grace of the law; Greek reads received grace upon grace.
g 1:18 Some manuscripts read But the one and only Son.
h 1:19 Greek and Levites.
i 1:21 Greek Are you the Prophet? See Deut 18:15, 18; Mal 4:5-6.
j 1:23 Isa 40:3.
k 1:26 Or in; also in 1:31, 33.
l 1:34 Some manuscripts read the Son of God.
m 1:41 Messiah (a Hebrew term) and Christ (a Greek term) both mean “the anointed one.”
n 1:42 The names Cephas (from Aramaic) and Peter (from Greek) both mean “rock.”
o 1:45 Greek Moses in the law.
p 1:51 Greek going up and down on the Son of Man; see Gen 28:10-17. “Son of Man” is a title Jesus used for himself.

Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007.

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188.
All Rights Reserved.

Edited by AgedLace
Got rid of the strikethrough text and performed some minor formatting.

NOTE - Reading or studying cross references is only for those who wish to delve deeper into the Scriptures.  There are here merely for convenience for those individuals.

Cross References for verse 1

Jhn 1:14 NLT
So the Word became human and made his home among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness. And we have seen his glory, the glory of the Father's one and only Son.

1Jo 1:1 - 2
1 We proclaim to you the one who existed from the beginning, whom we have heard and seen. We saw him with our own eyes and touched him with our own hands. He is the Word of life. 2 This one who is life itself was revealed to us, and we have seen him. And now we testify and proclaim to you that he is the one who is eternal life. He was with the Father, and then he was revealed to us.

Rev 19:13 NLT
He wore a robe dipped in blood, and his title was the Word of God.

Jhn 10:30 - 33 NLT
30 The Father and I are one." 31 Once again the people picked up stones to kill him. 32 Jesus said, "At my Father's direction I have done many good works. For which one are you going to stone me?" 33 They replied, "We're stoning you not for any good work, but for blasphemy! You, a mere man, claim to be God."

Isa 9:6 NLT
For a child is born to us, a son is given to us. The government will rest on his shoulders. And he will be called: Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Rom 9:5 NLT
Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob are their ancestors, and Christ himself was an Israelite as far as his human nature is concerned. And he is God, the one who rules over everything and is worthy of eternal praise! Amen.

Phl 2:6 NLT
Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to.

Heb 1:9 - 10 NLT
9 You love justice and hate evil. Therefore, O God, your God has anointed you, pouring out the oil of joy on you more than on anyone else." 10 He also says to the Son, "In the beginning, Lord, you laid the foundation of the earth and made the heavens with your hands.

1Jo 5:20 NLT
And we know that the Son of God has come, and he has given us understanding so that we can know the true God. And now we live in fellowship with the true God because we live in fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ. He is the only true God, and he is eternal life.

Cross References for Verse 3

Jhn 1:10 NLT - He came into the very world he created, but the world didn't recognize him.

Jhn 5:17 - 19
17 But Jesus replied, "My Father is always working, and so am I." 18 So the Jewish leaders tried all the harder to find a way to kill him. For he not only broke the Sabbath, he called God his Father, thereby making himself equal with God. 19 So Jesus explained, "I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself. He does only what he sees the Father doing. Whatever the Father does, the Son also does.

Gen 1:1 NLT - In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Gen 1:26 NLT - Then God said, "Let us make human beings in our image, to be like us. They will reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, the livestock, all the wild animals on the earth, and the small animals that scurry along the ground."

Col 1:16 NLT - for through him God created everything in the heavenly realms and on earth. He made the things we can see and the things we can't see--such as thrones, kingdoms, rulers, and authorities in the unseen world. Everything was created through him and for him.

Col 1:17 NLT - He existed before anything else, and he holds all creation together.

Heb 1:2-3 NLT
2 And now in these final days, he has spoken to us through his Son. God promised everything to the Son as an inheritance, and through the Son he created the universe. 3 The Son radiates God's own glory and expresses the very character of God, and he sustains everything by the mighty power of his command. When he had cleansed us from our sins, he sat down in the place of honor at the right hand of the majestic God in heaven.

Heb 1:10 NLT - He also says to the Son, "In the beginning, Lord, you laid the foundation of the earth and made the heavens with your hands.

Heb 3:3-4 NLT - 3 But Jesus deserves far more glory than Moses, just as a person who builds a house deserves more praise than the house itself. 4 For every house has a builder, but the one who built everything is God.

Rev 4:11 NLT - "You are worthy, O Lord our God, to receive glory and honor and power. For you created all things, and they exist because you created what you pleased."

Cross References for verse 4

Jhn 5:21 NLT
For just as the Father gives life to those he raises from the dead, so the Son gives life to anyone he wants.

Jhn 5:26 NLT
The Father has life in himself, and he has granted that same life-giving power to his Son.

Jhn 11:25 NLT
Jesus told her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying.

1Co 15:45 NLT
The Scriptures tell us, "The first man, Adam, became a living person." But the last Adam--that is, Christ--is a life-giving Spirit.

Col 3:4 NLT
And when Christ, who is your life, is revealed to the whole world, you will share in all his glory.

1Jo 1:2 NLT
This one who is life itself was revealed to us, and we have seen him. And now we testify and proclaim to you that he is the one who is eternal life. He was with the Father, and then he was revealed to us.

1Jo 5:11 NLT
And this is what God has testified: He has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.

Jhn 8:12 NLT
Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, "I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won't have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life."

Jhn 9:5 NLT
But while I am here in the world, I am the light of the world."

Jhn 12:35 NLT
Jesus replied, "My light will shine for you just a little longer. Walk in the light while you can, so the darkness will not overtake you. Those who walk in the darkness cannot see where they are going.

Jhn 12:46 NLT
I have come as a light to shine in this dark world, so that all who put their trust in me will no longer remain in the dark.

Isa 42:6 NLT
"I, the LORD, have called you to demonstrate my righteousness. I will take you by the hand and guard you, and I will give you to my people, Israel, as a symbol of my covenant with them. And you will be a light to guide the nations.

Luk 1:79 NLT
to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, and to guide us to the path of peace."

Luk 2:32 NLT
He is a light to reveal God to the nations, and he is the glory of your people Israel!"

Act 26:23 NLT
that the Messiah would suffer and be the first to rise from the dead, and in this way announce God's light to Jews and Gentiles alike."

Eph 5:14 NLT
for the light makes everything visible. This is why it is said, "Awake, O sleeper, rise up from the dead, and Christ will give you light."

1Jo 1:5 NLT
This is the message we heard from Jesus and now declare to you: God is light, and there is no darkness in him at all.

Cross References for verse 5

Jhn 3:19 NLT
And the judgment is based on this fact: God's light came into the world, but people loved the darkness more than the light, for their actions were evil.

Jhn 3:20 NLT
All who do evil hate the light and refuse to go near it for fear their sins will be exposed.

Jhn 12:36 NLT
Put your trust in the light while there is still time; then you will become children of the light." After saying these things, Jesus went away and was hidden from them.

Job 24:13 NLT
"Wicked people rebel against the light. They refuse to acknowledge its ways or stay in its paths.

Cross References for verse 6

Jhn 1:33 NLT
I didn't know he was the one, but when God sent me to baptize with water, he told me, 'The one on whom you see the Spirit descend and rest is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.'

Jhn 3:28 NLT
You yourselves know how plainly I told you, 'I am not the Messiah. I am only here to prepare the way for him.'

Mat 3:3 NLT
The prophet Isaiah was speaking about John when he said, "He is a voice shouting in the wilderness, 'Prepare the way for the LORD's coming! Clear the road for him!'"

Mat 11:10 NLT
John is the man to whom the Scriptures refer when they say, 'Look, I am sending my messenger ahead of you, and he will prepare your way before you.'

Mar 1:7 - 8 NLT
7 John announced: "Someone is coming soon who is greater than I am--so much greater that I'm not even worthy to stoop down like a slave and untie the straps of his sandals. 8 I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit!"

Cross References for verse 7

Jhn 1:32 - 34, 36 NLT
32 Then John testified, "I saw the Holy Spirit descending like a dove from heaven and resting upon him. 33 I didn't know he was the one, but when God sent me to baptize with water, he told me, 'The one on whom you see the Spirit descend and rest is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.' 34 I saw this happen to Jesus, so I testify that he is the Chosen One of God." ... 36 As Jesus walked by, John looked at him and declared, "Look! There is the Lamb of God!"

Cross References for verse 9

Jhn 14:6 NLT
Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.

1Jo 5:20 NLT
And we know that the Son of God has come, and he has given us understanding so that we can know the true God. And now we live in fellowship with the true God because we live in fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ. He is the only true God, and he is eternal life.

Jhn 12:46 NLT
I have come as a light to shine in this dark world, so that all who put their trust in me will no longer remain in the dark.

Cross References for verse 10

Jhn 17:25 NLT
"O righteous Father, the world doesn't know you, but I do; and these disciples know you sent me.

Mat 11:27 NLT
"My Father has entrusted everything to me. No one truly knows the Son except the Father, and no one truly knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him."

1Co 1:21 NLT
Since God in his wisdom saw to it that the world would never know him through human wisdom, he has used our foolish preaching to save those who believe.

1Co 2:8 NLT
But the rulers of this world have not understood it; if they had, they would not have crucified our glorious Lord.

1Jo 3:1 NLT
See how very much our Father loves us, for he calls us his children, and that is what we are! But the people who belong to this world don't recognize that we are God's children because they don't know him.

Cross References for verse 11

Mat 15:24 NLT
Then Jesus said to the woman, "I was sent only to help God's lost sheep--the people of Israel."

Act 3:26 NLT
When God raised up his servant, Jesus, he sent him first to you people of Israel, to bless you by turning each of you back from your sinful ways."

Act 13:46 NLT
Then Paul and Barnabas spoke out boldly and declared, "It was necessary that we first preach the word of God to you Jews. But since you have rejected it and judged yourselves unworthy of eternal life, we will offer it to the Gentiles.

Rom 15:8 NLT
Remember that Christ came as a servant to the Jews to show that God is true to the promises he made to their ancestors.

Jhn 3:32 NLT
He testifies about what he has seen and heard, but how few believe what he tells them!

Isa 53:2 - 3 NLT
2 My servant grew up in the LORD's presence like a tender green shoot, like a root in dry ground. There was nothing beautiful or majestic about his appearance, nothing to attract us to him. 3 He was despised and rejected--a man of sorrows, acquainted with deepest grief. We turned our backs on him and looked the other way. He was despised, and we did not care.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.