DRUMZ

'Astounding' winter losses of bee colonies in Ontario could be the worst on record

Oh shit stop already!

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/winter-losses-of-bee-colonies-in-ontario-could-be-worst-on-record

MONTREAL — Canadian beekeepers are expressing concern about the effects of poor weather on their colonies, with the president of the Ontario Beekeepers’ Association describing the level of dead or ailing ones as “astounding.

“It’s quite discouraging and demoralizing for beekeepers,” Jim Coneybeare, 55, said in a phone interview Monday.

An association survey of almost 900 Ontario beekeepers indicated that 70 per cent suffered unsustainable losses this past winter.

Edited by Cinnamon
Text added from article
  • Like 2

That solves the jobless issue. Get the idle humans in the fields with bird feathers, we gotta cross pollinate this bad boy.

Bet when you were younger and thought of an interspecies connection it didn't go down like this. Where are the sci fi dancing girls? What a rip off.

Levity is just not working. I am worried for our little bee friends. This is tragic news.

Is anyone here doing apiary?

11 minutes ago, Picklesnout said:

Planning on starting off small, with just one hive....

Than see how it goes as I am new to the hobby of bee keeping.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Full Throttle said:

Can't read the article unless adblocker is disabled.

Sorry......

Comes right up for me though...

• Like 1

I am afraid of bees, but they are so good and useful. Here us a tidbit of what I learned about mason bees while working at Wild Birds Unlimited.

Mason bees are kind of a good answer if you need pollenation, but not honey. They sleep most of the year, waking up in spring to pollenate their local area of 1-2 acres. Then they lay next years eggs in the tubes and pass on. Keep the tubes in the fridge over winter, keep them a little moist, and warm them up when the buds on the apple trees start opening. With our crazy springs (early and late) you can get them out in time and help them live, rather than nature hatching them out too early or too late. Also, if you keep them in the fridge, wasps and hunting insects can't get the grublings.

They are easily kept in drilled out blocks of wood, but paper tube inserts help keep parasites down. They nest by smell, so if you change out the whole hive block, invest in a bee attractant scent pad.  

For more info:

https://thehoneybeeconservancy.org/mason-bees/

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Picklesnout said:

I am afraid of bees, but they are so good and useful. Here us a tidbit of what I learned about mason bees while working at Wild Birds Unlimited.

Mason bees are kind of a good answer if you need pollenation, but not honey. They sleep most of the year, waking up in spring to pollenate their local area of 1-2 acres. Then they lay next years eggs in the tubes and pass on. Keep the tubes in the fridge over winter, keep them a little moist, and warm them up when the buds on the apple trees start opening. With our crazy springs (early and late) you can get them out in time and help them live, rather than nature hatching them out too early or too late. Also, if you keep them in the fridge, wasps and hunting insects can't get the grublings.

They are easily kept in drilled out blocks of wood, but paper tube inserts help keep parasites down. They nest by smell, so if you change out the whole hive block, invest in a bee attractant scent pad.  

For more info:

https://thehoneybeeconservancy.org/mason-bees/

Thanks hon, but I want to steal honey from the bee's too. Pun intended.

The honey bee's should provide as much pollination as I need, too.

Have books bigger than the bible about bees.

Very interesting creation's of God's design..

Do not fear the bees.

Just try not to f**k with them with harmful intent, or spray them with any Monsanto type shit.

• Like 2

Three hypotheses on colony collapse I would order further research into if I had the power:

1) pesticides 

2) cell phone towers 

3) GMO

1 & 3 are obvious candidates. For 2, the theory goes that the sea of EMR generated by cellphone frequencies interfere with their direction-finding so when they do that dance they do to tell the rest of the hive where the pollen is, they point in the wrong direction and the whole hive flies off to nowhere.

I did a project once in the govt science institution here in NZ which has responsibility for dealing with colony collapse over here and I had the opportunity to ask the lead scientist what his take on it was. The response was the most likely candidate was a parasite they'd discovered in the gut of dissected bees. 

Who knows.

All we do know is, something changed. This only started in the last several decades. That's our clue. 

But the issue is, there's always been a refusal on the part of govt agencies to look into industries where, if it were discovered they are responsible, not just billions, but trillions are at stake.

And imagine if any of those above three industries were found responsible and had to close down. Because that's what would happen. Because without bees, we don't have plant crops. And if we don't have plant crops, we don't have food. We don't have crop plants, and we don't have animals, because all the animals we eat, eat plants.

Meanwhile, the sheeple bleat and baa in their naive fool's paradise, secure in their false knowledge that if anything were wrong, their beloved Fourth Estate MSM watchdogs would be right onto it, and alert them lickity-split, of course they would, and they haven't, so it's all A-OK, and anyone who doesn't agree, is a conspiwacy theowist.

Edited by Dr. Evil
  • Like 2

For the uninformed it is not an issue....just bees.  For me this is a real concern.  For the most I blame the buggers at Monsatan

@Full Throttle I have a little browser that I wrote - it's easy really - I use that just to view those links.   Sure you can use something like Vivaldi on Linux..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Evil said:

Three hypotheses on colony collapse I would order further research into if I had the power:

1) pesticides 

2) cell phone towers 

3) GMO

1 & 3 are obvious candidates. For 2, the theory goes that the sea of EMR generated by cellphone frequencies interfere with their direction-finding so when they do that dance they do to tell the rest of the hive where the pollen is, they point in the wrong direction and the whole hive flies off to nowhere.

I did a project once in the govt science institution here in NZ which has responsibility for dealing with colony collapse over here and I had the opportunity to ask the lead scientist what his take on it was. The response was the most likely candidate was a parasite they'd discovered in the gut of dissected bees. 

Who knows.

All we do know is, something changed. This only started in the last several decades. That's our clue. 

But the issue is, there's always been a refusal on the part of govt agencies to look into industries where, if it were discovered they are responsible, not just billions, but trillions are at stake.

And imagine if any of those above three industries were found responsible and had to close down. Because that's what would happen. Because without bees, we don't have plant crops. And if we don't have plant crops, we don't have food. Because all the animals we eat, eat plants.

Meanwhile, the sheeple bleat and baa in their naive fool's paradise, secure in their false knowledge that if anything were wrong, their beloved Fourth Estate MSM watchdogs would be right onto it, and alert them lickity-split, of course they would, and they haven't, so it's all A-OK, and anyone who doesn't agree, is a conspiwacy theowist.

1,2 and three...

The shit that we spray on the trees to kill the "harmful bugs" surely have an effect on the bee's too..

Cell towers..... IDK? Possible though, for sure..

GMO....  Not good for us.... Why would it be good for the bee's????

Hope we can find the truth to this world wide dilemma...

Peace to you!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Picklesnout said:

That solves the jobless issue. Get the idle humans in the fields with bird feathers, we gotta cross pollinate this bad boy.

Bet when you were younger and thought of an interspecies connection it didn't go down like this. Where are the sci fi dancing girls? What a rip off.

Levity is just not working. I am worried for our little bee friends. This is tragic news.

My wife does bee keeping, bee rescuing and relocation as well.

She has our neighbors doing it once they see the return on honey and how the neighborhood flowers and general landscaping has significantly improved since we moved in 2 years ago.

So now when she has people over and they show interest she tells them that the next relocation of honey bees that she finds that she will set them up as long as they have a ready to go home.

Now there are about 8 hives within a block and the flowers never looked better....as so the neighbors say who've lived there for 20 years 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Oregonian said:

My wife does bee keeping, bee rescuing and relocation as well.

She has our neighbors doing it once they see the return on honey and how the neighborhood flowers and general landscaping has significantly improved since we moved in 2 years ago.

So now when she has people over and they show interest she tells them that the next relocation of honey bees that she finds that she will set them up as long as they have a ready to go home.

Now there are about 8 hives within a block and the flowers never looked better....as so the neighbors say who've lived there for 20 years 

You are bee-heros! Better than honey (almost) is fantastic flowers. It just makes the world a better place. Kudos

Do you get stung?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.