Countryboyseein

Looking for vegetable suggestions

Ok, I'm struggling with finding vegetables that I can stand to eat, while dealing with the aftermath of a heart attack. My family comes from the Ozark hills, and we've always grown vegetables in the garden. The problem is all those vegetables were normally prepared with bacon grease, they tasted great!  But they're not really heart healthy for me. 

My question is... What does everyone enjoy vegetable wise? 

Just a little more info to help with suggestions. I don't really care for any kind of cooked green, streamed anything or eggplant. 

I enjoy oven/grill roasted potatoes, carrots, kohlradi. Also,  coleslaw, garlic,  potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, the occasional cucumber,  sauteed snow peas, kale chips. 

I grow most of my own stuff, cause I'm too poor/ cheap to buy it. I have nearly every herb that can grow in zone 6.

My grand parents and great grand parents only ever grew what could grow on the side of a rock covered  garden,  I'm in a better situation, my backyard is on an alluvial plain. My dirt is great and nearly 6 feet deep, without a single rock. So I can grow nearly anything. 

Suggestions?

ima nasty thingy.

add in some cyanne pepper pills and magnesium chloride. 

i like to blend salads when I'm board of regular salads. then juice them when I'm tired of that.

then make soup if the others seem lame. & just make lard last 3 to 4 times longer. use a tiny bit not a lot.

One thing I make to avoid all the carbs of potatoes is cauliflower, steamed, smashed up and add the same ingredients that you would to regular mashed potatoes. It tastes really good and is a good substitute. I just put butter, salt and pepper in it to season mine. 

I used to hate okra because it is slimy, but I found out that putting it on the grill makes it really good and a lot less slimy inside. Just let it get a little crunchy on the outside and then I use soy sauce, lemon and some hot pepper (add a little water to cut the soy sauce some to taste) and dip it in there. 

If you grow okra... I didn't know what it would do when producing to max volume. I planted 18 plants and it was an okra explosion. You have to pick it every other day it grows so fast. I don't know how many you are feeding. But I had enough for a small army. lol

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

One thing I make to avoid all the carbs of potatoes is cauliflower, steamed, smashed up and add the same ingredients that you would to regular mashed potatoes. It tastes really good and is a good substitute. I just put butter, salt and pepper in it to season mine. 

I used to hate okra because it is slimy, but I found out that putting it on the grill makes it really good and a lot less slimy inside. Just let it get a little crunchy on the outside and then I use soy sauce, lemon and some hot pepper (add a little water to cut the soy sauce some to taste) and dip it in there. 

If you grow okra... I didn't know what it would do when producing to max volume. I planted 18 plants and it was an okra explosion. You have to pick it every other day it grows so fast. I don't know how many you are feeding. But I had enough for a small army. lol

I'll revisit okra in my garden, I love it, when its breaded and deep fried, lol.  Never tried it on the grill. Okra does get carried away,  2 plants are enough for most households in my experience. 

The cauliflower is a NO! But I've read about what you speak of... just not for me and the wife

I'm only currently feeding me and the wife,  my 3 kids and 2 grandkids only visit occasionally. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Countryboyseein said:

I'll revisit okra in my garden, I love it, when its breaded and deep fried, lol.  Never tried it on the grill. Okra does get carried away,  2 plants are enough for most households in my experience. 

The cauliflower is a NO! But I've read about what you speak of... just not for me and the wife

I'm only currently feeding me and the wife,  my 3 kids and 2 grandkids only visit occasionally. 

I like okra breaded and deep fried, too. But the grilling is really, really good. At least I think so. You get the taste of the okra just like when it's deep fried without the grease. And that little bit of crunch is there. 

26 minutes ago, ima nasty thingy. said:

add in some cyanne pepper pills and magnesium chloride. 

i like to blend salads when I'm board of regular salads. then juice them when I'm tired of that.

then make soup if the others seem lame. & just make lard last 3 to 4 times longer. use a tiny bit not a lot.

love the screen name, I've tried making smoothies/ juice..... it's just not for me. And soup doesn't make sense inside my head, if I want a drink while I'm eating, I'll pick up my glass of water. 

I do eat 4 cloves of garlic, a dried Thai dragon pepper(beyond spicy) and a couple Tbs of ACV most days.  Sometimes I can't do the peppers, I grew enough for a small country 3 years ago, I take magnesium but not sure it's that kind

I appreciate your suggestions

Asparagus- drizzle it with olive oil, sprinkle on sea salt and pepper. Place inside oven on a cookie sheet, put olive oil on cookie sheet. Cook for 10 mins at 350F.

Sweet peppers- Walmart carries these red and orange. Simply eat them raw great source of vitamin c.

13 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

My grandma used to make this. She would also deep fry it And make cauliflower  patties. 😭

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.