BacktotheShadows

Garden Update

Well my tomatoes are doing horrible.  They are producing fruit, however they look like they are on their deathbed.  Peppers are doing great, got about 30 or so peppers from them so far.  Strawberries are not doing anything but sitting there, I got one berry from them.  Blackberry crop was good, got about 20 bunches of berries, but there is only one more growing so I think the crop is over.  I have about 110 tomatoes that I hope make it, good sized ones too, about the size of softballs, I just hope they ripen before the vine dies.  Wish me luck!

33 minutes ago, BacktotheShadows said:

Well my tomatoes are doing horrible.  They are producing fruit, however they look like they are on their deathbed.  Peppers are doing great, got about 30 or so peppers from them so far.  Strawberries are not doing anything but sitting there, I got one berry from them.  Blackberry crop was good, got about 20 bunches of berries, but there is only one more growing so I think the crop is over.  I have about 110 tomatoes that I hope make it, good sized ones too, about the size of softballs, I just hope they ripen before the vine dies.  Wish me luck!

Are you in the southern hemisphere? 

My black berries have set the first round of fruit, but still weeks away from being ready, then a summer harvest 3 months from now. 

Tomatoes only about 18 inches tall. Blueberries in the next couple weeks. Eating asparagus and green onions now. Cabbage in the next month,  potatoes probably 3-5 weeks out unless I decide to have new potatoes. Garlic is probably 1 month from being dug and dried. 

Don't give up on your tomatoes, I cover 2 picnic tables with unripe tomatoes around September 15, the vast majority ripen just fine. 

4 minutes ago, Countryboyseein said:

Are you in the southern hemisphere? 

My black berries have set the first round of fruit, but still weeks away from being ready, then a summer harvest 3 months from now. 

Tomatoes only about 18 inches tall. Blueberries in the next couple weeks. Eating asparagus and green onions now. Cabbage in the next month,  potatoes probably 3-5 weeks out unless I decide to have new potatoes. Garlic is probably 1 month from being dug and dried. 

Don't give up on your tomatoes, I cover 2 picnic tables with unripe tomatoes around September 15, the vast majority ripen just fine. 

I am in Florida.  My blackberries are done setting fruit.  I got one bunch left and it is done. I am not giving up hope on my tomatoes, I hope they ripen before they die.  Sounds like you know what you are doing!   Keep at it!  You will prosper from it!  It is a great feeling being able to grow your own food!!!  As you know florida is nothing but sand, so I am using a raised garden bed.

Edited by BacktotheShadows

2 minutes ago, BacktotheShadows said:

I am in Florida.  My blackberries are done setting fruit.  I got one bunch left and it is done. I am not giving up hope on my tomatoes, I hope they ripen before they die.  Sounds like you know what you are doing!   Keep at it!  You will prosper from it!  It is a great feeling being able to grow your own food!!!  As you know florida is nothing but sand, so I am using a raised garden bed.

You might look into "prime -ark" blackberries they set fruit on old wood, rest a month then set fruit on new wood. All you have to do is prune the old wood (2 seasons old) each year. 

I have a small patch,  maybe 5'x8' and I freeze 20 gallons per year

2 minutes ago, Countryboyseein said:

You might look into "prime -ark" blackberries they set fruit on old wood, rest a month then set fruit on new wood. All you have to do is prune the old wood (2 seasons old) each year. 

I have a small patch,  maybe 5'x8' and I freeze 20 gallons per year

I might have to take a look into that.  My wife loves her blackberries!  Thanks for the info!

1 hour ago, Countryboyseein said:

Nods. They ripen on their own. I don't use the same dates because I'm in a desert climate, but they ripen on their own and taste excellent. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.