DRUMZ

Gospel For May 17th

Reading 1ACTS 22:30; 23:6-11

Wishing to determine the truth
about why Paul was being accused by the Jews,
the commander freed him
and ordered the chief priests and the whole Sanhedrin to convene.
Then he brought Paul down and made him stand before them.

Paul was aware that some were Sadducees and some Pharisees,
so he called out before the Sanhedrin,
"My brothers, I am a Pharisee, the son of Pharisees;
I am on trial for hope in the resurrection of the dead."
When he said this,
a dispute broke out between the Pharisees and Sadducees,
and the group became divided.
For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection
or angels or spirits,
while the Pharisees acknowledge all three.
A great uproar occurred,
and some scribes belonging to the Pharisee party
stood up and sharply argued,
"We find nothing wrong with this man.
Suppose a spirit or an angel has spoken to him?"
The dispute was so serious that the commander,
afraid that Paul would be torn to pieces by them,
ordered his troops to go down and rescue Paul from their midst
and take him into the compound.
The following night the Lord stood by him and said, "Take courage.
For just as you have borne witness to my cause in Jerusalem,
so you must also bear witness in Rome."

Responsorial PsalmPS 16:1-2A AND 5, 7-8, 9-10, 11

R. (1) Keep me safe, O God; you are my hope.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Keep me, O God, for in you I take refuge;
I say to the LORD, "My Lord are you."
O LORD, my allotted portion and my cup,
you it is who hold fast my lot. 
R. Keep me safe, O God; you are my hope.
or:
R. Alleluia.
I bless the LORD who counsels me;
even in the night my heart exhorts me.
I set the LORD ever before me;
with him at my right hand I shall not be disturbed.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Therefore my heart is glad and my soul rejoices,
my body, too, abides in confidence;
Because you will not abandon my soul to the nether world,
nor will you suffer your faithful one to undergo corruption.
or:
R. Alleluia.
You will show me the path to life,
fullness of joys in your presence,
the delights at your right hand forever.
or:
R. Alleluia.

AlleluiaJN 17:21

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
May they all be one as you, Father, are in me and I in you,
that the world may believe that you sent me, says the Lord.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

GospelJN 17:20-26

Lifting up his eyes to heaven, Jesus prayed saying:
"I pray not only for these,
but also for those who will believe in me through their word,
so that they may all be one,
as you, Father, are in me and I in you,
that they also may be in us,
that the world may believe that you sent me.
And I have given them the glory you gave me,
so that they may be one, as we are one,
I in them and you in me,
that they may be brought to perfection as one,
that the world may know that you sent me,
and that you loved them even as you loved me.
Father, they are your gift to me.
I wish that where I am they also may be with me,
that they may see my glory that you gave me,
because you loved me before the foundation of the world.
Righteous Father, the world also does not know you,
but I know you, and they know that you sent me.
I made known to them your name and I will make it known,
that the love with which you loved me
may be in them and I in them."

Paul, sure did know how to stir up a ruckus!!!  On more than one occasion he did it.  Very intelligent and well educated individual.   The Apostle to the Gentiles, that's most of us.  

7 minutes ago, Full Throttle said:

Paul, sure did know how to stir up a ruckus!!!  On more than one occasion he did it.  Very intelligent and well educated individual.   The Apostle to the Gentiles, that's most of us.  

I'm sure that he felt that he had MUCH to atone for?

Paul the Apostle (Latin: Paulus; Greek: Παῦλος, translit. Paũlus, Coptic: ⲡⲁⲩⲗⲟⲥ; c. 5 – c. 64 or 67),[3] commonly known as Saint Pauland also known by his Jewish name Saul of Tarsus (Hebrew: שאול התרסי‎, translit. Sha'ūl ha-Tarsī; Greek: Σαῦλος Ταρσεύς, translit. Saũlos Tarseús),[5][6][7] was an apostle (though not one of the Twelve Apostles) who taught the gospel of the Christ to the first century world.[8]

Paul is generally considered one of the most important figures of the Apostolic Age[9][10] and in the mid-30s to the mid-50s AD he founded several churches in Asia Minor and Europe. He took advantage of his status as both a Jew and a Roman citizen to minister to both Jewish and Roman audiences.

According to writings in the New Testament and prior to his conversion, Paul was dedicated to persecuting the early disciples of Jesus in the area of Jerusalem.[11] In the narrative of the Acts of the Apostles (often referred to simply as Acts), Paul was traveling on the road from Jerusalem to Damascus on a mission to "arrest them and bring them back to Jerusalem" when the resurrected Jesus appeared to him in a great light. He was struck blind, but after three days his sight was restored by Ananias of Damascus and Paul began to preach that Jesus of Nazareth is the Jewish Messiah and the Son of God.[12] Approximately half of the book of Acts deals with Paul's life and works.

2 minutes ago, DRUMZ said:

I'm sure that he felt that he had MUCH to atone for?

Paul the Apostle (Latin: Paulus; Greek: Παῦλος, translit. Paũlus, Coptic: ⲡⲁⲩⲗⲟⲥ; c. 5 – c. 64 or 67),[3] commonly known as Saint Pauland also known by his Jewish name Saul of Tarsus (Hebrew: שאול התרסי‎, translit. Sha'ūl ha-Tarsī; Greek: Σαῦλος Ταρσεύς, translit. Saũlos Tarseús),[5][6][7] was an apostle (though not one of the Twelve Apostles) who taught the gospel of the Christ to the first century world.[8]

Paul is generally considered one of the most important figures of the Apostolic Age[9][10] and in the mid-30s to the mid-50s AD he founded several churches in Asia Minor and Europe. He took advantage of his status as both a Jew and a Roman citizen to minister to both Jewish and Roman audiences.

According to writings in the New Testament and prior to his conversion, Paul was dedicated to persecuting the early disciples of Jesus in the area of Jerusalem.[11] In the narrative of the Acts of the Apostles (often referred to simply as Acts), Paul was traveling on the road from Jerusalem to Damascus on a mission to "arrest them and bring them back to Jerusalem" when the resurrected Jesus appeared to him in a great light. He was struck blind, but after three days his sight was restored by Ananias of Damascus and Paul began to preach that Jesus of Nazareth is the Jewish Messiah and the Son of God.[12] Approximately half of the book of Acts deals with Paul's life and works.

Yeah, I believe that's the very reason Jesus chose him after his Resurrection and Ascension,  Plus the fact that he was killed more than once, raised back up, complained about a thorn in his side, God never did heal him from that.  Shipwrecked, beaten many times, and finally Beheaded.     

Anyone still want to be a prophet or apostle? 

• Like 1

Paul references the thorn in his side quite often.  It was something he had to live with for most of his life.  

This was part of a spiritual warfare series, but this one in particular addressed Paul's thorn.  I liked it and I can most certainly relate to it.  

I like Paul.  Can't wait to meet him one day. 

http://www.livinggodministries.net/living_god_ministries/radio_archive/audio_files/spiritual_warfare_19_thorn_in_flesh.mp3

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Full Throttle said:

Beheaded.     

Anyone still want to be a prophet or apostle

Yep. 

And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.  But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.  Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
Revelation 20:4‭-‬6 KJV

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Walk Softly said:

Paul references the thorn in his side quite often.  It was something he had to live with for most of his life.  

This was part of a spiritual warfare series, but this one in particular addressed Paul's thorn.  I liked it and I can most certainly relate to it.  

I like Paul.  Can't wait to meet him one day. 

http://www.livinggodministries.net/living_god_ministries/radio_archive/audio_files/spiritual_warfare_19_thorn_in_flesh.mp3

Could it be that he was allowed the thorn (demon) not only because of his sins, but because he sort of took the place of Judas as one of the 12?

IDK... Food for thought...

37 minutes ago, DRUMZ said:

Could it be that he was allowed the thorn (demon) not only because of his sins, but because he sort of took the place of Judas as one of the 12?

As far as I can tell, The thorn in his side was a physical thing. 

Judas was replaced by the original Apostles in a Lottery drawing between two other candidates.  

Paul was Unique in the fact that he was the only one chosen by the RISEN Christ. And sent to the Gentiles. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DRUMZ said:

Paul was in possession of a brilliant natural intellect...he was smart.  That gift of intellect had been trained in the best schools of the day.  He was the protege of Gamaliel, a Pharisee of Pharisees and on a trajectory as a very  young man that would undoubtedly wound up with him recognized as a significant leader of the Sanhedrin.

Then he got nailed in his tracks by the very  One Whom he was persecuting on the road to Damascus.  After that transformation, Paul was given more revelation and understanding of the mysteries revealed in Jesus Christ than anyone before him, and perhaps more than anyone since.

Paul *appears* to explain the  reason he  was given that "thorn" and the reason God allowed it  to remain in these passages:

2Co 12:7-9

And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure.

Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me.

And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

This is MY  interpretation so keep that in mind and take it for what it's worth.

I believe that Paul was concerned that others might tend to see his "natural" qualifications and tend to give him credit for them he did not and could not deserve.  When he began sharing the understandings of the mysteries alluded to throughout the Old Testament and now fulfilled in Jesus birth, ministry, death and resurrection, it was also obvious to hearers he was privy to incredible spiritual insight....not just natural intellect.

I know that anyone, not just Paul, who begins to walk their life in ways that are compatible with  Jesus' character, they will begin to also manifest the same miraculous powers that characterized Jesus' ministry.

At that point, the humans around them will increasingly divide into two camps.  One camp will want to kill you and the other will try to worship you.  The servant of Jesus cannot fear the one, nor give place to the other.

The verse prior to the  ones I already posted seem to indicate Paul was aware that keeping people's reaction to him and his ministry  in proper perspective was on his mind:

2Co 12:6

For though I might desire to boast, I will not be a fool; for I will speak the truth. But I refrain, lest anyone should think of me above what he sees me to be or hears from me.

I also  believe it likely that Paul was very  aware the insidiousness of pride.  When men try to elevate you, applaud you, even worship you pride will always be there tempting you to accept an exaltation that is not yours to accept.  That "thorn" was a constant reminder that the power he wielded was Jesus' power, not his own.  He could not rid himself of the thorn and that was a grace that God allowed to stand to protect Paul from "believing his own press".

I believe Paul finally accepted that "thorn" as a protection from becoming  enamoured of his own prodigious strengths (compared to other men) which are completely ineffective and relatively powerless compared to the strength God bestows.

FWIW :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jostler said:

Paul was in possession of a brilliant natural intellect...he was smart.  That gift of intellect had been trained in the best schools of the day.  He was the protege of Gamaliel, a Pharisee of Pharisees and on a trajectory as a very  young man that would undoubtedly wound up with him recognized as a significant leader of the Sanhedrin.

Then he got nailed in his tracks by the very  One Whom he was persecuting on the road to Damascus.  After that transformation, Paul was given more revelation and understanding of the mysteries revealed in Jesus Christ than anyone before him, and perhaps more than anyone since.

Paul *appears* to explain the  reason he  was given that "thorn" and the reason God allowed it  to remain in these passages:

This is MY  interpretation so keep that in mind and take it for what it's worth.

I believe that Paul was concerned that others might tend to see his "natural" qualifications and tend to give him credit for them he did not and could not deserve.  When he began sharing the understandings of the mysteries alluded to throughout the Old Testament and now fulfilled in Jesus birth, ministry, death and resurrection, it was also obvious to hearers he was privy to incredible spiritual insight....not just natural intellect.

I know that anyone, not just Paul, who begins to walk their life in ways that are compatible with  Jesus' character, they will begin to also manifest the same miraculous powers that characterized Jesus' ministry.

At that point, the humans around them will increasingly divide into two camps.  One camp will want to kill you and the other will try to worship you.  The servant of Jesus cannot fear the one, nor give place to the other.

The verse prior to the  ones I already posted seem to indicate Paul was aware that keeping people's reaction to him and his ministry  in proper perspective was on his mind:

I also  believe it likely that Paul was very  aware the insidiousness of pride.  When men try to elevate you, applaud you, even worship you pride will always be there tempting you to accept an exaltation that is not yours to accept.  That "thorn" was a constant reminder that the power he wielded was Jesus' power, not his own.  He could not rid himself of the thorn and that was a grace that God allowed to stand to protect Paul from "believing his own press".

I believe Paul finally accepted that "thorn" as a protection from becoming  enamoured of his own prodigious strengths (compared to other men) which are completely ineffective and relatively powerless compared to the strength God bestows.

FWIW :)

Very well thought out and more food for thought...

But he did say that he was sent a demon. And PRIDE may very well been the spirit of that demon (thorn,)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DRUMZ said:

Very well thought out and more food for thought...

But he did say that he was sent a demon. And PRIDE may very well been the spirit of that demon (thorn,)

Yes it was,   Very good post @Jostler  Thank you!!!

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.