Ukshep

City makes it illegal to sit or lie down on sidewalks

With a 5-0 vote, a Colorado city has approved an ordinance that will make it illegal to sit or lie down on downtown sidewalks, curbs or other public areas.  The measure passed at the May 15, 2018 Durango City Council meeting.

Council member Dick White says the ordinance is meant to improve the safety and atmosphere in the city's downtown. The rule bans sitting or lying down on sidewalks, curbs, streets, railways, alleys, parking spaces or other publicly owned property for pedestrian or vehicle travel in the downtown area from 7 a.m. to 2:30 am.

The city council said acted after hearing numerous complaints from business owners and visitors about people laying in the middle of the sidewalks in the downtown business district.  One council member wondered why the ban wasn't in effect 24 hours a day.

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/city-makes-it-illegal-to-sit-or-lie-down-on-sidewalks

Stupid laws are stupid!

• WTF 1

1 minute ago, counterintelligence said:

Are you sure they haven't outlawed walking down the sidewalk?

Most likely trying to stop vagrants and other homeless people.  

Not yet anyway :D Well unless they deem you a wanted criminal then you can't really walk down the sidewalk :p technicalities!

1 minute ago, counterintelligence said:

?

Yeah so from 2:30am till 7am you can lie down :D

For the hardcore pubber!  That's why. If you get ripped and cannot make it home, just sleep it off.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I have no Problem with this.

Neither would most of you if you owned these business and watched people evade shopping because homeless people are loitering/sleeping outside your door. And watched your $$$ dwindle and dwindle because your not allowed to hurt their feelings and force them to hang out somewhere else

Edited by Mindzen

5 minutes ago, Mindzen said:

I have no Problem with this.

Neither would most of you if you owned these business and watched people evade shopping because homeless people are loitering/sleeping outside your door. And watched your $$$ dwindle and dwindle because your not allowed to hurt their feelings and force them to hang out somewhere else

I can understand it. But for me it's a 50/50 between whether I want to kick up a stink to move some people who have no where else to go.... Or to not.

I have to agree as well, I really don't want to have to deal with, see, step over, whatever, people, who just don't seem to understand that the sidewalks are for walking on and some bike riding, not sleeping, hanging out on or sitting down on. 

Their made to travel on, and act as an entry point to any business, home etc located on or near them.   As far as bike's are concerned,  I have been yelled at more than once to get my bike on the road, but in some cases the sidewalk is just a lot safer, so, deal with it, I wont be hanging out on any one spot for more than a few seconds anyway. 

ima nasty thingy.

those dirty filthy hippies & their grass toasted brains.

quite harshing their buzz. it's not their fault that dreadlocks smell rancid. 

There are some really stupid laws on the books still.  Here are a few from Florida:

Dumb Laws in Florida

Florida (accidentally) banned all computers and smart phones in internet cafes

The term “motor vehicle” was revised to exclude swamp buggies, deregulating the primary mode of transportation in the state.

Repealed It is illegal for a doctor to ask a patient whether they own a gun.

The state constitution allows for freedom of speech, a trial by jury, and pregnant pigs to not be confined in cages.

One may not commit any “unnatural acts” with another person.

Unmarried couples may not commit “lewd acts” and live together in the same residence.

Corrupting the public morals is defined as a nuisance, and is declared a misdemeanor offense.

Doors of all public buildings must open outwards.

It is illegal to sell your children.

Women may be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer, as can the salon owner.

Oral sex is illegal.

A special law prohibits unmarried women from parachuting on Sunday or she shall risk arrest, fine, and/or jailing.

You may not kiss your wife’s breasts.

If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.

Penalty for horse theft is death by hanging.

It is illegal to sing in a public place while attired in a swimsuit.

Men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown.

Having sexual relations with a porcupine is illegal.

It is illegal to skateboard without a license.

When having sex, only the missionary position is legal.

Colorado only enacted this law so they can fine people and make money.

• WTF 1

8 minutes ago, ima nasty thingy. said:

those dirty filthy hippies & their grass toasted brains.

quite harshing their buzz. it's not their fault that dreadlocks smell rancid. 

Don't be a racist.  Dreadlocks do not smell.  They are washed the same way as any other hair style.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.