BacktotheShadows

Boulder passes sweeping anti-gun bill; pro-2A nonprofit vows to sue individual councilmembers

The Boulder City Council unanimously passed a sweeping gun control ordinance Tuesday night banning "assault weapons" and bump stocks, even as a pro-Second Amendment group threatened to retaliate by suing individual councilmembers.

In a surprising turn, one Colorado councilwoman admitted that she disagreed with the ordinance "in many ways," saying it would invite a flood of litigation -- despite voting for it.

The city defines assault weapons as "semi-automatic firearms designed with military features to allow rapid spray firing for the quick and efficient killing of humans."

Included in the definition are "all semiautomatic action rifles with a detachable magazine with a capacity of twenty-one or more rounds," as well as "semiautomatic shotguns with a folding stock or a magazine capacity of more than six rounds or both."

"We're going to see a lot of court cases coming before us."

Those possessing assault weapons already can keep them under the law, but owning bump stocks and high-capacity magazines will be become illegal in July. Certain law enforcement and military personnel are exempted from the ordinance.

During the public comment period for the legislation, the nonprofit Mountain States Legal Foundation promised to sue the city for "violations of the Second, Fifth, and Fourteenth Amendments," as well as the Colorado Constitution, Fox's KDVR-TV reported.

A staff attorney for the group, Cody Wisniewski, said that individual councilmembers would be named in the lawsuit, according to the network.

Lawsuits generally cannot be directed personally at individual lawmakers for their official actions in legislative sessions, but naming elected officials in civil actions against the government is often acceptable as long as plaintiffs are not seeking to hold lawmakers personally liable for allegedly unconstitutional conduct.

The nonprofit's threat of legal action apparently did not come as a surprise to members of the city council, who said they anticipated complications.

"We're going to see a lot of court cases coming before us," Councilwoman Mirabai Nagle said despite voting for the ordinance, according to Colorado Public Radio. "I think that we're going to spend a lot of time and money. It's not that lives aren't worth that, but I think that there was a better way of going about this.

"I don't agree with this ordinance in many ways," Nagle added. "It's not perfect."

The proposed ordinance led to protests last week, with some pro-Second Amendment activists carrying long guns openly in the streets, according to local reports.

The Boulder City Council tweeted Tuesday that it would soon consider additional amendments to the ordinance, such as raising the age to buy a firearm. 

Link: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/17/boulder-passes-sweeping-anti-gun-bill-pro-2a-nonprofit-vows-to-sue-individual-councilmembers.html

Coming soon to very town in America!!!  The 2A is dead....The brainwashed masses have bowed to their masters...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, apache54 said:

Libtards and m*zzies are in a tight race to destroy us, maybe mother nature will beat them to it, I hope so!!

If mother nature reigns down on us, just don't forget who these libtards are!  Violent mobs will be roaming the country looking for victims as they loot and pillage!  Allow the libtards to sleep in the bed they make!

Edited by londonorchar
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, londonorchar said:

If mother nature reigns down on us, just don't forget who these libtards are!  Allow them to sleep in the bed they make!

OH YES!! and there are some whom are just waiting to remove any bed they have!! LOL

• Like 2

Well that's stupid. For one a semi auto rifle will not "rapid spray firing for the quick and efficient killing of humans."  So that right there is speaking about fully automatic weapons. Whoever wrote this has zero clue of any function of a weapon.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BacktotheShadows said:

His actions of banning bump stocks, his actions of making a bill to change the legal age to 21 to buy an AR-15.  Those actions.

I believe in complete firearm freedom.  From a tank to an f-35 every citizen should be able to own and purchase one.  

That being said,  we have far to many gangs and scum bag low life's on this country right now who would use such things against we the people.  Bump stocks? Who gives a rip,  I own dozens of firearms and none of them utilize a bump stock.  It's really a non issue.  21 to  buy any firearm I take issue with.  But again slot of young idiots these days.  Not a big problem.  Now if they start banning magazines or ammunition types.  Then you you will have me up in arms. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Groove said:

Well that's stupid. For one a semi auto rifle will not "rapid spray firing for the quick and efficient killing of humans."  So that right there is speaking about fully automatic weapons. Whoever wrote this has zero clue of any function of a weapon.  

Those that want to grab your guns have no idea what a gun is and how it functions.  These are the people put in power by the idiots that voted for them.

2 minutes ago, thedudeabides said:

I believe in complete firearm freedom.  From a tank to an f-35 every citizen should be able to own and purchase one.  

That being said,  we have far to many gangs and scum bag low life's on this country right now who would use such things against we the people.  Bump stocks? Who gives a rip,  I own dozens of firearms and none of them utilize a bump stock.  It's really a non issue.  21 to  buy any firearm I take issue with.  But again slot of young idiots these days.  Not a big problem.  Now if they start banning magazines or ammunition types.  Then you you will have me up in arms. 

Nobody is making a big deal about bump stocks, because they really are junk.  However, with that being said, Once one item becomes banned and nobody objects, then they ban another and another, which is called the snowball effect.  The snowball will continue to grow until all you can own is a bolt action rifle that has to be reloaded after every shot.  That is why I believe it is a big deal.  As for the age, if a man/woman can die for our, or better yet as it is in every war for another country then they should be able to own a rifle.

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.