abigfatzero

A question that gives pause: If Solar And Wind Are So Cheap, Why Are They Making Electricity So Expensive?

A question that gives pause: If Solar And Wind Are So Cheap, Why Are They Making Electricity So Expensive?

Over the last year, the media have published story after story after story about the declining price of solar panels and wind turbines.

People who read these stories are understandably left with the impression that the more solar and wind energy we produce, the lower electricity prices will become.

And yet that’s not what’s happening. In fact, it’s the opposite.

Between 2009 and 2017, the price of solar panels per watt declined by 75 percent while the price of wind turbines per watt declined by 50 percent.

And yet — during the same period — the price of electricity in places that deployed significant quantities of renewables increased dramatically.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/05/16/a-question-that-gives-pause-if-solar-and-wind-are-so-cheap-why-are-they-making-electricity-so-expensive/

:grumph:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, abigfatzero said:

Over the last year, the media have published story after story after story about the declining price of solar panels and wind turbines.

People who read these stories are understandably left with the impression that the more solar and wind energy we produce, the lower electricity prices will become.

Between 2009 and 2017, the price of solar panels per watt declined by 75 percent while the price of wind turbines per watt declined by 50 percent.

And yet — during the same period — the price of electricity in places that deployed significant quantities of renewables increased dramatically.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/05/16/a-question-that-gives-pause-if-solar-and-wind-are-so-cheap-why-are-they-making-electricity-so-expensive/

Solar and Wind Power require investment in the infrastructure.  Power from the power companies is expensive because they are allowed to make it expensive.

2055878a.jpg.7e9b9ba1ddc79e5fce37d467701242ca.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would like to invest in my own system. That would be really freeing. Some places have laws against you having anything that feeds back into the grid, because of the danger to line workers. I have not checked my local laws, but would want to feed my batteries if there were extra. I suppose alot rides on the details of your design. Safety for all, and freedom!

If the us gubmint is 20 trillion in debt and growing, why does the federal reserve keep loaning these dead beats money? 

1 hour ago, phxsparks said:

Solar and Wind Power require investment in the infrastructure.  Power from the power companies is expensive because they are allowed to make it expensive. 

2055878a.jpg.7e9b9ba1ddc79e5fce37d467701242ca.jpg

Only until.... FREE ENERGY 😛

42 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

Only until.... FREE ENERGY 😛

So, we come full circle to discuss the efforts of Nikola Tesla. 

The federal government has mandated that power companies MUST slowly add non combustible type of power sources to the grid, and ALL of them are funded (partially) by the feds.

production of solar and wind is cheap, what is not is the maint costs of them,

IF they can ever come up with a cheap way to store the power, (batteries) then it would reduce allot of the costs,

5 hours ago, phxsparks said:

So, we come full circle to discuss the efforts of Nikola Tesla. 

for those whom understand how electricity is derived then you may know that when they discarded Tesla's version of electricity they went down the wrong road and of course guess why?????????????? Tesla wanted free power to the people, Others wanted to make money, so we got screwed both ways, as what others call non-usable electric waves, is actually where you can get the correct waves needed for developing perpetual energy devices. all whom have found the secrets to this have been bought off or died mysteriously. enough said!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Picklesnout said:

I would like to invest in my own system. That would be really freeing. Some places have laws against you having anything that feeds back into the grid, because of the danger to line workers. I have not checked my local laws, but would want to feed my batteries if there were extra. I suppose alot rides on the details of your design. Safety for all, and freedom!

IF you buy the cells and can solder then you can build panels very cheap, the expensive part is the plate glass, so IF you can find old plate glass for cheap you can really build panels cheap, then the next expensive part is the storage batteries, many options there but lots of cost IF your building a system large enough to sustain your home, I would totally stay away from sell back as it also has lots of draw backs, the auto switch panel itself is quite expensive. hope this helps.

Posted (edited)

Big Government and Big Business are married at the hip in USA. 
This marriage between them directs American foreign policy and seeks
to exploit other countries in the same manner.
Regardless of the price of natural gas or coal, which is what plants run on,
utility prices only rise. It doesn't matter that the cost of these fuels was extremely
low for years. It doesn't matter that the plants, which became automated in the
'90s-00's, have 2% of the staffs on site that they used to need to run the plants.

What matters is your public utility commissions are headed by lawyers, sometimes
they are actually headed by lawyers who worked for the power corporations.
They are all in bed together, overcharging customers benefits both the corporations,
owned by Wall Street and in many cases totally foreign companies, and the state
governments which attach charges to your bill. So the state has an express incentive
to raise your bills, the higher your bill, the more charges and tax they receive.

It is fascism, approved by democracy... by defintion, and the voting population
has no undertanding. They are  easily misdirected and the topic is avoided.
The principal beneficiaries are lawyers, politicians (both are the same), and
the international investment corporations, owned by the banking cartel.
Banks need your state government to be able to pay billions in interest on the loans
that the state and federal governments withdraw from the banks, who publish
the money at no cost.

Edited by snowball
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, abigfatzero said:

Even by declining 50-75%, they are now still higher than the cost of many preexisting forms of electricity production. If a plant is already built, it is cheaper to run it than to build a new solar/wind site along with the needed transmission infrastructure to support. Add in that it can not serve as a base load due to it's output being at the will of nature. 

This being said, one day we will get there. Technology is close, but not economically friendly in most areas..... yet.

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.