Xavier

Moving to Iowa to "start over" any advice?

Xavier

I'm leaving California for good, had my car stolen just over a week ago, plan on taking the bus.  Based on a wide variety of demographics, not the least of which is the lowest Meth problems in the US, I have decided upon Ames, Iowa.  Any relevant advice?  Anyone actually live / lived there?

Not there, but that corner of the world. Should be good hunting, it is beautiful country. All I can offer is a best of luck. There are still good places left.

Xavier

Thanks, I do believe not everywhere is the same.  Too many people stuck in one place too long start to believe that.  I am very much looking forward to leaving California.

31 minutes ago, Xavier said:

Thanks, I do believe not everywhere is the same.  Too many people stuck in one place too long start to believe that.  I am very much looking forward to leaving California.

Just be prepared for some culture shock and look for the  good.  You'll find people who  seem woefully naive and ignorant of things commonly understood in your former setting but be alert, you'll also find a rich vein  of knowledge and  understanding in areas you've had little contact with up til now.

College town so it won't be backwardsville but  I bet it will have a rural, agrarian flavor you  might not be used to :)  If you like outdoors you should find plenty  to do and plenty  of decent people to do it with.

Xavier
6 minutes ago, Jostler said:

Just be prepared for some culture shock and look for the  good.  You'll find people who  seem woefully naive and ignorant of things commonly understood in your former setting but be alert, you'll also find a rich vein  of knowledge and  understanding in areas you've had little contact with up til now.

College town so it won't be backwardsville but  I bet it will have a rural, agrarian flavor you  might not be used to :)  If you like outdoors you should find plenty  to do and plenty  of decent people to do it with.

I come from the most Redneck place in California, not exaggerating.  I'm used to dealing with "simple folk" and drunks.  Thanks for the advice, it's pretty good.

It was so redneck here when I was young they played cowboy and indians, and they beat the crap out of each other, the cowboys and indians from the reservation.  The last "official" battle between US Troops and the Native people occurred only 20 miles from here, and the last chinese Tong War happened about 15 miles from here.  Interesting history in the foothills of California.

Xavier
16 minutes ago, BeachedOnMars said:

Find the rural counties that had the highest count of Ron Paul voters.

I just looked it up, I did LOL   Guess I was picking a lot of other factors that led to this, but by happy coincidence this is true as well.

20 minutes ago, Xavier said:

I come from the most Redneck place in California, not exaggerating.  I'm used to dealing with "simple folk" and drunks.  Thanks for the advice, it's pretty good.

It was so redneck here when I was young they played cowboy and indians, and they beat the crap out of each other, the cowboys and indians from the reservation.  The last "official" battle between US Troops and the Native people occurred only 20 miles from here, and the last chinese Tong War happened about 15 miles from here.  Interesting history in the foothills of California.

I made some flawed assumptions about your background due to  the stolen car :)  You probably  wont experience the level of culture shock I was assuming :)

Best of  luck to you :)

37 minutes ago, Jostler said:

College town so it won't be backwardsville but  I bet it will have a rural, agrarian flavor you  might not be used to :) 

Here's an interesting tidbit....... I'm finding some very awake folks in the rural settings away from the "college towns" and most of these awake folks are lacking a college degree. Maybe that says something about the brainwashing of "higher education" eh?

So keep your eyes peeled for some working class folks and some non-indoctrinated off-the-grid types. I had the pleasure of meeting some of these folks in a rural town in SE AZ, and I'm sure there will be a significant amount where you're going....... :nodl:

Posted (edited)
On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:30 AM, Xavier said:

I'm leaving California for good, had my car stolen just over a week ago, plan on taking the bus.  Based on a wide variety of demographics, not the least of which is the lowest Meth problems in the US, I have decided upon Ames, Iowa.  Any relevant advice?  Anyone actually live / lived there?

I was born in Iowa and spent 19 years of my life there, I now live in Las Vegas and still have family in Iowa and Ames area and will tell you the winters are cold and long, if you have never lived thru a upper Midwest winter than you will not like it after your 1st winter, you might want to try Reno Nevada, Nashville TN, Austin TX or something similar, Iowa also has millions of mosquitos and flies..

But it is a down to earth place and nice looking in certain areas but damn long cold winters... 

Edited by Roger Rabbit

Don't come to Austin, it's a slightly less expensive version of San Diego with more mosquitoes, pollen, gays, and 100 degree temps. Also no beaches or sea world. San Antonio ain't bad, they have a six flags and enough military bases to thin out the liberal mindset that has taken over here. Iowa sounds fun though, try it. Let us know. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.