Ariel Fawcett

Is anyone else doing grain free and all organic?

Posted (edited)

Ok, so, my family's life revolves around food and health. We're chemical free, and we've been eating 100% organic/non-gmo/soy-free (not vegan!) for over 4 years, and have organically grown some of our own veggies. We just went grain-free (Paleo-ish but not completely) last autumn. Our food lifestyle is difficult sometimes, and definitely lonely, so a little support would be nice to have. I wanted to see if anyone else here lived the same way, and wanted to trade tried-and-true recipes, products, stores, websites, organic gardening ideas, etc. PM me if you like. :)

ETA: We are poor because of the price of eating healthy (but rich in so many other ways!), so ways to save money is another subject we need support on.

Edited by Ariel Fawcett

Build a group. Please. Nutrition is key. I garden, eat mostly yard bird eggs, often hunted meat and caught fish. Still eat pasta, flour is hard to quit. Homemade bread is a staple. For me anyway. Build a group, invite me. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Danno512 said:

Build a group. Please. Nutrition is key. I garden, eat mostly yard bird eggs, often hunted meat and caught fish. Still eat pasta, flour is hard to quit. Homemade bread is a staple. For me anyway. Build a group, invite me. 

Done, just waiting for approval.

We raised chickens and ducks before, we loved it. Once we get more land next year, we'll be able to farm again, I miss the ducks the most. We love wild game and fish too. Unfortunately, even with venison, you still have to worry about gmos because of the deer corn that people use, although at a much lower level, obviously.

I've actually thought about raising deer for meat; there are all sorts of regulations and restrictions and licenses, though.

We used to make a lot of bread until we went grain-free, now we still make bread but just different kinds. We're still searching for the right mix to give the right texture for sandwiches, one of the things that prompted the post. We have a bunch of amazing recipes but we're always searching for more.

I can give you my husband's banana bread recipe, it's amazing. He sold a loaf of it at his work. :)

Fortunately, there are tons of healthy options for flour. We use tapioca starch, sprouted buckwheat flour, coconut flour, green banana flour, arrowroot powder, white rice flour, almond flour, etc.

We did have to give up pasta, though. I haven't found a good organic replacement yet, although there are a couple of non-gmo options out there, like legume pasta. My children like the organic white rice pad thai noodles with my meat & veggie sauce, but they're just too thick for me, I prefer capellini (angel hair). I'd love to learn how to make my own pasta using the flours listed above, I want to find a chef who's willing to give me some pointers. I miss lasagna, too.

Edited by Ariel Fawcett
Forgot to finish a sentence, duh.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.