octopus prime

Gov. Andrew Cuomo gives parolees the right to vote in New York

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/gov-andrew-cuomo-gives-parolees-the-right-to-vote-in-new-york/ar-AAw29AO?ocid=spartanntp&ffid=gz

All felons who have served their time will now have their right to vote restored in New York.

During a National Action Network press event on Wednesday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced he signed an executive order giving parolees the right to vote.

"I proposed a piece of legislation ... this past year that said parolees should have the right to vote," he said during the event. "The Republican Senate voted down that piece of legislation, which is another reason why we need a new legislature this November. But I'm unwilling to take no for an answer. I'm going to make it law by executive order and I announce that here today."

In a press release announcing the order, Cuomo's office said the reform will restore the right to vote upon release from incarceration and "reverse disenfranchisement for thousands of New Yorkers."

What happens to a person convicted of a felony varies from state to state, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. New York joins 14 states and the District of Columbia, where they lose their rights only while incarcerated, the conference says.

According to the governor's office, there are roughly 35,000 individuals on parole in New York who cannot vote.

(cut)

14 minutes ago, octopus prime said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/gov-andrew-cuomo-gives-parolees-the-right-to-vote-in-new-york/ar-AAw29AO?ocid=spartanntp&ffid=gz

All felons who have served their time will now have their right to vote restored in New York.

During a National Action Network press event on Wednesday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced he signed an executive order giving parolees the right to vote.

"I proposed a piece of legislation ... this past year that said parolees should have the right to vote," he said during the event. "The Republican Senate voted down that piece of legislation, which is another reason why we need a new legislature this November. But I'm unwilling to take no for an answer. I'm going to make it law by executive order and I announce that here today."

In a press release announcing the order, Cuomo's office said the reform will restore the right to vote upon release from incarceration and "reverse disenfranchisement for thousands of New Yorkers."

What happens to a person convicted of a felony varies from state to state, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. New York joins 14 states and the District of Columbia, where they lose their rights only while incarcerated, the conference says.

According to the governor's office, there are roughly 35,000 individuals on parole in New York who cannot vote.

(cut)

What a dirty POS...The name Cuomo is like outhouse sludge...I wretch at that scum/ media info injection into my brain...I have to compost to process this garbage...I`m ok Cinn, don`t fillet me again...Unless you enjoy..?  

I don't think parolees should have that, but I believe once you've served your time, you should have the right to vote again. 

58 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

I don't think parolees should have that, but I believe once you've served your time, you should have the right to vote again. 

AGREED!!

when you have paid your debt to society your rights should be reinstated

2 minutes ago, apache54 said:

AGREED!!

when you have paid your debt to society your rights should be reinstated

I don't know about that...depends on what the crime is...and a whole lot fewer things should be crimes in the first place....

47 minutes ago, octopus prime said:

I don't know about that...depends on what the crime is...and a whole lot fewer things should be crimes in the first place....

I can agree with that, for some crimes your debt should NEVER be paid, and some crimes are not crimes, except by some idiot law and should be rescinded, lots of room for debate, bottom line we have TOOOOOOOOOO many laws!!

3 hours ago, octopus prime said:

(cut)

They are scraping the bottom of the barrel.  It has always been a law that convicted felons are not permitted to vote.  They must be freaking out, since their supply of indebted 3rd world immigrants has been partially reduced.

2 minutes ago, phxsparks said:

They are scraping the bottom of the barrel.  It has always been a law that convicted felons are not permitted to vote.  They must be freaking out, since their supply of indebted 3rd world immigrants has been partially reduced.

If a criminal has paid their debt in full to society,  and it isn't a heinous crime like pedophilia,  they should have their rights restored.  Before computers,  there was no practical to track that.  You could hold a driver's license in all 50 states, for example 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.