abigfatzero

New California Law Automatically Preregisters 16-Year-Olds to Vote When They Get Their Licenses

New California Law Automatically Preregisters 16-Year-Olds to Vote When They Get Their Licenses

snip

Now, Governor Jerry Brown has signed a bill that combines the two reforms by automatically preregistering eligible Californians when they obtain their first driver’s license. Sponsors of the new law estimate that it will add 200,000 voters per year to the state’s rolls.

Younger Americans have long registered and voted at lower rates than their older fellow-citizens. There are many factors that make lower youth turnout a persistent problem, from high personal mobility to low civic connections. But if California’s initiative is the wave of the future, it could make registration one less hurdle, at least for those who wish to drive.

But the spread of AVR, and particularly its application to young voters, is encountering GOP resistance for the natural reason that the marginal voters it most affects are likely to be Democratic-leaning. 

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/03/california-will-preregister-teens-to-vote.html

:grumph:

• WTF 1

Let me guess, they will register everyone as a demoncrat? I know when I registered at 18 the lady tried to tell me I was a demoncrat. Bs witch I'm independent. 

1 hour ago, Groove said:

Let me guess, they will register everyone as a demoncrat? I know when I registered at 18 the lady tried to tell me I was a demoncrat. Bs witch I'm independent. 

my thoughts as well!!!

3 hours ago, V M said:

Jury Duty !

Yep! Because in Cali they can hardly get anyone that's not a felon. lol

• Haha 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.