octopus prime

Archaeologists find silver treasure on German Baltic island [Merged]

Posted (edited)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/archaeologists-find-silver-treasure-on-german-baltic-island/ar-AAvW1wP?ocid=spartanntp&ffid=gz

BERLIN — Hundreds of 1,000-year-old silver coins, rings, pearls and bracelets linked to the era of Danish King Harald Gormsson have been found on the eastern German island of Ruegen in the Baltic Sea.

A single silver coin was first found in January by two amateur archaeologists, one of them a 13-year-old boy, in a field near the village of Schaprode. The state archaeology office then became involved and the entire treasure was uncovered by experts over the weekend, the Mecklenburg-West Pomerania state archaeology office said Monday.

"It's the biggest trove of such coins in the southeastern Baltic region," the statement said.

(cut)

Edited by Ukshep
Snipped to 50% - copyright rule
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, octopus prime said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/archaeologists-find-silver-treasure-on-german-baltic-island/ar-AAvW1wP?ocid=spartanntp&ffid=gz

BERLIN — Hundreds of 1,000-year-old silver coins, rings, pearls and bracelets linked to the era of Danish King Harald Gormsson have been found on the eastern German island of Ruegen in the Baltic Sea.

A single silver coin was first found in January by two amateur archaeologists, one of them a 13-year-old boy, in a field near the village of Schaprode. The state archaeology office then became involved and the entire treasure was uncovered by experts over the weekend, the Mecklenburg-West Pomerania state archaeology office said Monday.

"It's the biggest trove of such coins in the southeastern Baltic region," the statement said.

(cut)

:goodpost:=======right up my alley!! 

4 hours ago, Full Throttle said:

Who get's to keep the loot?  :D

depends on the country, most countries some form of share with the finder, or some means of a monetary thank you, he is the states you could negotiate a deal with the feds, for normally a 80 - 20 slpit with the finder at 80% after 1972 it changed to it is ours (fed) and no NOTHING to the finder. so many finds became secret, also it is fact the feds had or have a team that does recovery of such things.

4 minutes ago, apache54 said:

depends on the country, most countries some form of share with the finder, or some means of a monetary thank you, he is the states you could negotiate a deal with the feds, for normally a 80 - 20 slpit with the finder at 80% after 1972 it changed to it is ours (fed) and no NOTHING to the finder. so many finds became secret, also it is fact the feds had or have a team that does recovery of such things.

Good reasons to just keep your mouth shut, get what you can get, and then get gone!!!

3 minutes ago, Full Throttle said:

Good reasons to just keep your mouth shut, get what you can get, and then get gone!!!

AGREED!!,

very sad as many really neat finds have gone away, to never be seen, except to a very few, or the get changed to hide what they were and the original now lost forever.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, apache54 said:

AGREED!!,

very sad as many really neat finds have gone away, to never be seen, except to a very few, or the get changed to hide what they were and the original now lost forever.

Some years ago I followed a story in the local paper.

San Francisco was held by the Spanish for a time. The forts were on both sides of the entrance to the bay, the Golden Gate. Spain sent ships with supplies and funds for the Spanish solders. There was a group of three ships that came to service the fort. One, carrying a lot of gold, was lost during a storm.

Many people searched for this lost Spanish ship. None were successful, until Robert Ballard came along. With his Side Scanning Sonar, he located what he was sure was the ship. He didn't disclose the location, but it was close to or, inside the bay. He notified the press, and told them he would begin negotiations with Spain for the salvage. San Francisco's Mayor, Gavin "Hair-boy" Newsom, stepped in, claiming the ship and it's contents as property of the City. Ballard told Newsom, the ships were Spanish and belonged to Spain. The battle went on for a time, until Newsom tried to proceed legally against Ballard for the exact location. Ballard informed the Mayor that his computer systems had undergone a failure and that, unfortunately, all the location data was lost. Newsom went home, got very drunk (a norm for him) and terrorized small animals in his yard.

That's the story, as I remember it. There may be errors.

https://www.nps.gov/prsf/learn/historyculture/spanish-period.htm

Edited by 2many secrets

2 minutes ago, 2many secrets said:

San Francisco was held by the Spanish for a time. The forts were on both sides of the entrance to the bay, the Golden Gate. Spain sent ships with supplies and funds for the Spanish solders. There was a group of three ships in the group that came to service the fort. One, carrying a lot of gold, was lost during a storm.

Many people searched for this lost Spanish ship. None were successful until Robert Ballard came along. With his Side Scanning Sonar, he located what he was sure was the ship. He didn't disclose the location, but it was close to or, inside the bay. He notified the press, and told them he would begin negotiations with Spain for the salvage. San Francisco's Mayor, Gavin "Hair-boy" Newsom, stepped in, claiming the ship and it's contents as property of the City. Ballard told Newsom, the ships were Spanish and belonged to Spain. The battle went on for a time until, Newsom tried to proceed legally against Ballard for the exact location. Ballard informed the Mayor that his computer systems had undergone a failure and that, unfortunately, all the location data was lost. Newsom went home, got very drunk (a norm for him) and terrorized small animals in his yard.

The little animals probably had it coming...

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, 2many secrets said:

San Francisco was held by the Spanish for a time. The forts were on both sides of the entrance to the bay, the Golden Gate. Spain sent ships with supplies and funds for the Spanish solders. There was a group of three ships that came to service the fort. One, carrying a lot of gold, was lost during a storm.

Many people searched for this lost Spanish ship. None were successful, until Robert Ballard came along. With his Side Scanning Sonar, he located what he was sure was the ship. He didn't disclose the location, but it was close to or, inside the bay. He notified the press, and told them he would begin negotiations with Spain for the salvage. San Francisco's Mayor, Gavin "Hair-boy" Newsom, stepped in, claiming the ship and it's contents as property of the City. Ballard told Newsom, the ships were Spanish and belonged to Spain. The battle went on for a time, until Newsom tried to proceed legally against Ballard for the exact location. Ballard informed the Mayor that his computer systems had undergone a failure and that, unfortunately, all the location data was lost. Newsom went home, got very drunk (a norm for him) and terrorized small animals in his yard.

https://www.nps.gov/prsf/learn/historyculture/spanish-period.htm

I read about that story as well,  just FYI, some if not all has been removed by others (USA) people over the last few years, it was done secretly of course and I don't know how much has been removed, I live in the southwest and you would not believe what has been found and removed here.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, apache54 said:

I read about that story as well,  just FYI, some if not all has been removed by others (USA) people over the last few years, it was done secretly of course and I don't know how much has been removed, I live in the southwest and you would not believe what has been found and removed here.

One of my old cycling pals worked as an executive for an environmental clean up group. He warned me about never eating any fish that came out of SF Bay. A girlfriend belongs to the Dolphin Club. They do a swim from Treasure Island to the club every year. And, train constantly in the Bay. It bothers me that she's in that water. I hope the guys who got the booty are still walkin around. I wonder if it was Ballard's group?

From what I was told afterward, the wreck was buried in mud and couldn't be found without his special sonar.

Treasure hunters.. must be fun.

Edited by 2many secrets

40 minutes ago, 2many secrets said:

One of my old cycling pals worked as an executive for an environmental clean up group. He warned me about never eating any fish that came out of SF Bay. A girlfriend belongs to the Dolphin Club. They do a swim from Treasure Island to the club every year. And, train constantly in the Bay. It bothers me that she's in that water. I hope the guys who got the booty are still walkin around. I wonder if it was Ballard's group?

From what I was told afterward, the wreck was buried in mud and couldn't be found without his special sonar.

Treasure hunters.. must be fun.

I don't know who the cali contact was could very well been Ballard, but the group that i knew about was from the southwest that was doing the removal.

T-hunting is fun and also can be hazardous, LOL

A pair of amateur archaeologists found a treasure trove on a Baltic island that is believed to have belonged to a Danish king from more than 1,000 years ago. René Schön and 13-year-old Luca Malaschnitschenko were rummaging around with metal detectors on the German island of Ruegen in the Baltic Sea when they happened upon the ancient treasure in January. But experts kept the find secret until last week. "This was the [biggest] discovery of my life," Schön, a hobby archaeologist, told German news agency DPA. The find includes silver coins, rings, pearls, bracelets and a Thor's hammer from the era of 10th century Danish King Harald Bluetooth.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/dc4db793-af4e-3905-85dd-4651a74c4702/ss_amateur-archaeologists-find.html

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.