silversides

As state voters lead on Medicaid, could health care be the next gay marriage?

silversides    246

As state voters lead on Medicaid, could health care be the next gay marriage?

Andy Slavitt and Jonathan Schleifer, Opinion columnists

Published 3:15 a.m. ET March 26, 2018

Trump and Congress are trying to slash Medicaid. But Americans in both red and blue states are making clear they want to expand health care, not cut it.

Since the day Donald Trump took office, he and Republicans in Congress have had government health care programs like Medicaid in their sights. And reactions across the country, highlighted by recent special elections in Pennsylvania and Alabama, suggest this is backfiring in a spectacular way. Their policies are so out of line with public thinking that the more they push them, the higher the likelihood that they put the country on an inevitable path to Medicaid, Medicare or some other health care plan that is ubiquitous and available to all.

Take Medicaid. Since Trump’s election, Congress has relentlessly attempted to slash the program, which covers one in five Americans. After failing to cap it and cut its funding by one-fifth over the next decade, Trump again called for cuts in his State of the Union address. The Trump administration has also given states the green light to impose work requirements on Medicaid recipients, which the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities says will result in “less access to care, worse health outcomes, and less financial security.”

More: Our broken health care politics are hurting instead of helping Americans

More: Doctors fed the opioid crisis. Can they help cure it?

So far, three states — Kentucky, Indiana and Arkansas — have won approval for their work requirements and seven more have pending requests with the Trump administration. Nearly 640,000 people would be vulnerable to losing their health coverage if all 10 states go ahead with work requirements.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/03/26/voters-lead-medicaid-health-care-next-gay-marriage-column/442100002/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-newstopstories

sybdragon    1,805

Yes. I am one of those in Kentucky that will lose my Medicaid because I can not get a job. No one will hire me once I tell them that I can not do any overhead lifting and can not and will not lift anything over 10lbs/4.5kgs and carry it. I have doctor's orders about carrying over that and I can tell if I do too. I will not be able to walk if I carry that much weight daily. I do my shopping on one day a month because I hurt for a week after that and have trouble walking. Leg doesn't want to work. Much less the burn in the shoulder blade from my broken collar bone. I am going to rehab for the collar bone as they didn't rehab it after my accident. I went for x-rays and got offered rehab so I am doing that. 17 years later but.... Is it helping? I don't know. But I was told that the should would not EVER be stabilized. It's messed up and will always be, just like the leg. And I have discovered that the reason I am not good with dates, I show up at the wrong times for stuff and don't show up when I'm suppose to if I do not keep a piece of paper with the dates on them where I can look at them. I have problems with my brain because of the head wound and I am just not hiring material it seems. I have to make my own job if I want one and if the hubby is alive and I make over $500 or so a year, they will kick me off Medicaid. So I am in a catch 22. Damn if I do and damned if I don't. Volunteering is also offered but I'm not doing that. There is nowhere to volunteer in my county. Old folks home and how many people do you think are going for that in a county that has doesn't have much happening? And who is going to sign off on the volunteering if you don't volunteer for an 'approved' place? Lots of volunteer jobs are short-term jobs with people that are not 'licensed or whatever paperwork'. Right now, they are volunteering to put up a house for a burnt out family. That's not going to last. Do we have to wish bad things on people so we can volunteer somewhere? Sad.. Just sad... This is going to hurt the rural counties a whole lot. 

http://www.kentuckyhealthfacts.org/data/topic/show.aspx?ind=29

22% of Kentuckians are on Medicaid. 68 counties have 24% or more, Owsley county has 61% of people  and Wolfe country has 56% on Medicaid. There is only 120 counties in Kentucky. So over half of the counties have over 24% of the people on Medicaid. Where are these people getting jobs or volunteering? They are not going to school because they don't have any money, just like me. School is not an option if you have no cash. And how are they suppose to get to these places to volunteer? I had to take roommates to afford my heating this year because I don't have the gas money to take the ole man to his treatments. Which are working BTW. Keytruda is the bomb!!! So far anyway. ;)  Cost me $50 in gas to take him to his treatments in Louisville. And it takes me around $5 to get to town, in county, and back. $10 in gas for the town in the next county either way you go. My town has a population of around 1500. How much do you think is going on in my little town? The next town over is a college town and the other way, the town has around 14,000 population. And both are in different counties. The larger cities are all in different counties. We have 'areas' here. Not really towns, just areas called something or other. 

So yes, Kentucky will be kicking people off Medicaid because they can not do what is required of them to do. Lots of dead people in Kentucky that just don't know it yet.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.