Siriusly

Microsoft introduces new services agreement per May 1st: can no longer be sued in the U.S.

Siriusly    387
Posted (edited)

So I woke up to this email from MFT announcing their new Services Agreement. After a little reading I found this:

Binding Arbitration and Class Action Waiver

15. Binding Arbitration and Class Action Waiver If You Live In (or, If a Business, Your Principal Place of Business Is In) the United States. We hope we never have a dispute, but if we do, you and we agree to try for 60 days to resolve it informally. If we can’t, you and we agree to binding individual arbitration before the American Arbitration Association ("AAA") under the Federal Arbitration Act ("FAA"), and not to sue in court in front of a judge or jury. Instead, a neutral arbitrator will decide and the arbitrator’s decision will be final except for a limited right of review under the FAA. Class action lawsuits, class-wide arbitrations, private attorney-general actions, and any other proceeding where someone acts in a representative capacity aren’t allowed. Nor is combining individual proceedings without the consent of all parties. "We," "our," and "us" includes Microsoft, Skype (see section 10) and Microsoft’s affiliates and, if you use Skype Pay by Mobile, your mobile phone carrier.

Full terms: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement/upcoming.aspx

By continuing use of MFT products after May 1st, 2018 you automatically agree to these terms.

Is that even legal? And that "neutral" arbitrator - who picks him/her?

Edited by Siriusly
  • Like 4

BubbitoBurrito    1,191

I saw that...

I despise Micosucks. I'll most likely be dumping my outlook account. I only used it for BS mail anyway.

If I could kick Billy in the nards I'd do so awfully hard...

BubbitoBurrito    1,191
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

Well this seems totally unethical!

If you do business in the US then you are bound by its laws/regulations. Right?

Edited by BubbitoBurrito

sybdragon    1,805

Looks pretty standard to me. Credit card companies and lots of companies put this language into their contracts that no one reads. 

If they decide to kick me off, that would be a good thing. This dang computer takes up to much of my time. And what do I do with it? Lately, I have been putting together jigsaw puzzles. Yep, that's what I do. I'm bored to death. I have discovered the online jigsaw puzzles. Better than the games I am tired of playing. The computer is starting to become very uninteresting to me. I am tired of it's algorithms and how it suggest stuff. I like finding my own stuff and I like different things. Those dang algorithms do not seem to realize that. They are stupid and I am tired of them. Reload page and see if you get different results. Nope, same ole, same ole. Tired of that crap. Throw me a bone!!!! Give me something unexpected and new to check into. Tired of the suggestions and stuff. I want some new stuff. The internet has become boring. I am complaining here. Whining. Dang it. Stupid machine. If I didn't need it for some things, I would throw this thing out the window as a useless piece of crap. This thing has become like the TV. Boring!!!!!!!! :pouty-smiley-emoticon:

Hung Likable    387

So you buy MS software and install it, then they change the terms.

This is kinda like buying a car from, say, Toyota.  Then they send out a contract change after it's in your garage that says "we are no longer liable in the USA for any defects, recalls, engineering failures, or warranties, and if continue to drive the vehicle you bought you automatically agree to this."

Wish I could change contract changes like that ... dear Bank, the rate of interest you will pay on my account is 40%, and if my money is still in your bank tomorrow morning then you agree and will pay.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, sybdragon said:

Looks pretty standard to me. Credit card companies and lots of companies put this language into their contracts that no one reads. 

If they decide to kick me off, that would be a good thing. This dang computer takes up to much of my time. And what do I do with it? Lately, I have been putting together jigsaw puzzles. Yep, that's what I do. I'm bored to death. I have discovered the online jigsaw puzzles. Better than the games I am tired of playing. The computer is starting to become very uninteresting to me. I am tired of it's algorithms and how it suggest stuff. I like finding my own stuff and I like different things. Those dang algorithms do not seem to realize that. They are stupid and I am tired of them. Reload page and see if you get different results. Nope, same ole, same ole. Tired of that crap. Throw me a bone!!!! Give me something unexpected and new to check into. Tired of the suggestions and stuff. I want some new stuff. The internet has become boring. I am complaining here. Whining. Dang it. Stupid machine. If I didn't need it for some things, I would throw this thing out the window as a useless piece of crap. This thing has become like the TV. Boring!!!!!!!! :pouty-smiley-emoticon:

I don't know how your math skills are, but, when I have free time Walter Lewin is great.

Better than jigsaw puzzles..

Edited by 2many secrets
  • Like 1

Siriusly    387

As for alternatives there is almost no escape - especially for companies.

Everything is Windows based, Enterprise servers, Email, Networking. Screwed.

I think this will speed up the creation of a meta-OS that supports all three major formats - Linux, macOS and Windows. Open Source naturally.

Goodbye Bill.

God Man    1,186
1 hour ago, Ukshep said:

Well this seems totally unethical!

Probably because it is.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Siriusly said:

As for alternatives there is almost no escape - especially for companies.

Everything is Windows based, Enterprise servers, Email, Networking. Screwed.

I think this will speed up the creation of a meta-OS that supports all three major formats - Linux, macOS and Windows. Open Source naturally.

Goodbye Bill.

If it will handle 32 GB of ram and run adobe CS, I'm interested.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.