Sign in to follow this  
Cinnamon

That Old Sprouted Garlic is More Useful Than you Think!

i plant those sprouted garlic cloves  by tucking them into pots of other plants.

the avocados have a ring of garlic growing around them as does the little guava tree.

i have no roses or the garlic would be underneath them....roses LOVE garlic! (companion plants)

ive even started saving the onion bottoms,  sticking them down onto the soil and keeping wet.

every single one has new growth.ive started a second pot of onion bottoms already.

i like the leaves/stalks in my salads and sometimes mashed potatoes.

guess i cant upload pics or i could show you.

i also keep the pineapples tops...have for three years now.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2018 at 6:24 AM, eclipsed said:

i plant those sprouted garlic cloves  by tucking them into pots of other plants.

the avocados have a ring of garlic growing around them as does the little guava tree.

i have no roses or the garlic would be underneath them....roses LOVE garlic! (companion plants)

ive even started saving the onion bottoms,  sticking them down onto the soil and keeping wet.

every single one has new growth.ive started a second pot of onion bottoms already.

i like the leaves/stalks in my salads and sometimes mashed potatoes.

guess i cant upload pics or i could show you.

i also keep the pineapples tops...have for three years now.

I cut the bottoms off green onions and potted them, every single one are now about 8 inches tall, not one casualty.  Going to try this with some celery, too. 

Check this out, very interesting stuff for a head start on growing from kitchen scraps:

https://www.diyncrafts.com/4732/repurpose/25-foods-can-re-grow-kitchen-scraps

• Like 1

On 4/3/2018 at 7:00 PM, Cinnamon said:

I cut the bottoms off green onions and potted them, every single one are now about 8 inches tall, not one casualty.  Going to try this with some celery, too. 

Check this out, very interesting stuff for a head start on growing from kitchen scraps:

https://www.diyncrafts.com/4732/repurpose/25-foods-can-re-grow-kitchen-scraps

its goddamned surprising how many foods you can replant, its like a secret no one tells you about.

did you know in the caribbean they cut off the tops of the pineapples before selling it? so they can replant and here we are in america with all this extra that we throw away.not anymore!
im composting, im regrowing, im doing whatever i can to make my dollar stretch.

my pineapples are three years old, the freezes keep cutting them down each year although i cover them here in central florida...i have nine of them.everyone of them i bought at the grocery store.

im composting so much i only throw away plastic at this point.even leftovers go in there.im doing the dirty composting! the bones, the food, whatever decomposes goes in.its working terrific so far!

i heard of this one guy has a youtube video somewhere i dont remember and he has replanted the same damn onions NINE times in his garden.

i said woah, thats for me!

• Like 2

when i was little, about six, i would eat the garlic leaves because i really liked them.

my mother made me stop because she said it was coming through my pores and making me stink.

I keep a pot of garlic chives on the back porch. And I break off a hunk of them all the time to cook with. They spread like crazy and look pretty year round. Large pots take a lot of soil but are so much easier to grow things in than in the ground. Easier on the knees and back too. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this