BubbitoBurrito

Self-Acceptance in the Social Media Age

Your mental and physical health is the real wealth ;)

“Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.” ~Marilyn Monroe

We are living in a world where we are able to form a virtual reality presence on a number of different platforms. Currently, we have YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook and numerous other social media and dating apps available to us. Many of us use these apps recreationally for a healthy amount of time. Current research shows that 88% of 18 to 29-year-olds indicate that they use some form of social media, specifically, 78% among ages 30 to 49, 64% among those ages 50 to 64 and 37% among Americans 65 and older. It is estimated there will be 2.67 billion social network users by 2018. For those able to maintain a healthy and responsible relationship with their online presence this is a wonderful way to stay connected to others. It opens a window for viewing other cultures around the world and we can see things that perhaps we are not able to see in our daily life.

Unfortunately, there are those who become overly involved in the creation and maintenance of an alter ego created to keep up with the perceived successes of others on social media. Fueled by FOMO, the fear of missing out, these individuals experience anxiety from seeing others posts on social media that feeds their need to spend an excessive amount of time on these platforms. Before long, their real lives are consumed by their inability to remove themselves from this alternate reality. Some of the social problems that arise from social media addiction include sleep depravity, anxiety, depression, deficiency in academic studies and work and anger management issues.

https://makeitultrapsychology.wordpress.com/2018/03/14/self-acceptance-in-the-social-media-age/

• Like 1

I read an article today about some adults who went undercover in a high school in order to see what is different now in today's schools.

One of the things they found is that a record number of kids are struggling with depression, and that it is based on their place on the totem pole in social media.

http://nordic.businessinsider.com/undercover-high-teenagers-lives-2018-2/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/25/2018 at 10:09 AM, BubbitoBurrito said:

Your mental and physical health is the real wealth

I really like the saying that "happiness is the new wealth". I like this philosophy.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, COBE said:

I read an article today about some adults who went undercover in a high school in order to see what is different now in today's schools.

One of the things they found is that a record number of kids are struggling with depression, and that it is based on their place on the totem pole in social media.

http://nordic.businessinsider.com/undercover-high-teenagers-lives-2018-2/

The other day I read about kids not knowing what to do with paper and pencils due to their enslavement of the tech age... literally trying to interact with the paper in front of them by swiping their finger. Sad when you stop and think about what it has all come to. Peace

Today's world is 100% different for the youth, I am so glad to be in my middle age years now.  Social media truly is a major burden on the youth of today and for a lot of adults as well.    

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Full Throttle said:

Today's world is 100% different for the youth, I am so glad to be in my middle age years now.  Social media truly is a major burden on the youth of today and for a lot of adults as well.    

amen

5 yrs ago I lived in an apt,  next door was a couple who had two kids, boy and a girl. Both were barely in their teens, the girl had almost daily meltdown,s after school about what someone had posted on Fakebook,  major meltdowns,  The father was always in a shouting match with the daughter and the Mother(his wife)  over it all.

When I was able to finally move because of personal circumstances I literally got in my vehicle and drove away leaving 90% of my belongings right there.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Full Throttle said:

5 yrs ago I lived in an apt,  next door was a couple who had two kids, boy and a girl. Both were barely in their teens, the girl had almost daily meltdown,s after school about what someone had posted on Fakebook,  major meltdowns,  The father was always in a shouting match with the daughter and the Mother(his wife)  over it all.

When I was able to finally move because of personal circumstances I literally got in my vehicle and drove away leaving 90% of my belongings right there.

Material things are replaceable... ones sanity?-not-so-much ;)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.