Cinnamon

Responsibility Deflected, The CLOUD Act Passes (tacked onto Omnibus Bill)

In the final pages of the bill—meant only to appropriate future government spending—lawmakers snuck in a separate piece of legislation that made no mention of funds, salaries, or budget cuts. Instead, this final, tacked-on piece of legislation will erode privacy protections around the globe.

As we wrote before, the CLOUD Act is a far-reaching, privacy-upending piece of legislation that will:

Enable foreign police to collect and wiretap people’s communications from U.S. companies, without obtaining a U.S. warrant.

Allow foreign nations to demand personal data stored in the United States, without prior review by a judge.

Allow the U.S. president to enter “executive agreements” that empower police in foreign nations that have weaker privacy laws than the United States to seize data in the United States while ignoring U.S. privacy laws.

Allow foreign police to collect someone’s data without notifying them about it.

Empower U.S. police to grab any data, regardless if it’s a U.S. person’s or not, no matter where it is stored.

And, as we wrote before, this is how the CLOUD Act could work in practice:

<snip>

https://www.activistpost.com/2018/03/responsibility-deflected-the-cloud-act-passes.html

More here:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/02/cloud-act-dangerous-expansion-police-snooping-cross-border-data

Great, more illegal/legal snooping.

I can only suggest all learn about TOR, both private and public networks and things like VPL Tunneling. My longtime mail client has a PGP option. Proton is worth looking into, along with Hushmail.

What the hell is wrong with all the people who work in the intell community that they can't see stuff like this is wrong and can't see that breaking their secrecy oath is more important than their paycheck.

Oh that's right, it's all compartmentalised on a need to know basis and the normal ones that make it through the psychometric testing to weed out non-psychopathic personality types become a tad concerned when the instructor explains the penalty for revealing what they're about to learn about is not only their death, but their parents, their siblings, their partner, and their children, in reverse order.

• Sad 1

want to bet these foreign countries are going to use this information to demand people be arrested.. Trump lied to us and sold out our rights...i am ashamed i voted for him.. 

6 hours ago, desert.desolation said:

i also have to wonder if the cloud act is just a massive excuse to use HIVE to snoop on the entire population without anyone realizing they are..

Oh we've lost a lot of freedoms in the last year. Things have changed so much. And there are things not being used already added I'm sure. So it's now a very different world.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 2many secrets said:

Great, more illegal/legal snooping.

I can only suggest all learn about TOR, both private and public networks and things like VPL Tunneling. My longtime mail client has a PGP option. Proton is worth looking into, along with Hushmail.

I love Hushmail...  

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, desert.desolation said:

want to bet these foreign countries are going to use this information to demand people be arrested.. Trump lied to us and sold out our rights...i am ashamed i voted for him.. 

don't be ashamed, you voted for the best of the two evils, Hillary was far worse!! only way to fix this country and the world is a major reset of some type.

Edited by apache54
  • Like 1

Trump wanted a line item veto but that's not legal. So he held his nose and signed it. He said he would NOT sign another bill like it. So Trump wants them to stop adding pork to the bills. And this bill was their one and only chance and they knew it. That is why they gave him what he wanted for his military spending. We have to have that money for the military. Things are heating up. Do I think we are going to war? I think that the USA needs to upgrade some military stuff to stay up with others. Russia, China, we can not be weak. If we are seen as weak, with the rest of the world hating us like they do..... We would be so screwed. We don't have to use the stuff, just have to have it for deterrent. And we are going to war with China one day. China is the one. 

Trump signed this because of the military money. It's all about the military money. :coffeetime:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.