Sign in to follow this  
Cinnamon

Summons issued to Trump in case alleging he is violating emoluments clause

A summons has been issued to President Trump in a lawsuit alleging he is violating the emoluments clause of the Constitution.

The lawsuit — filed by the attorneys general in Washington, D.C., and Maryland — alleges that Trump is violating the clause, which prevents elected officials from receiving gifts or benefits from foreign governments without Congress’s approval, WAMU reported.

The lawsuit is filed against Trump in his "official capacity and in his individual capacity," according to the Washington, D.C., radio station.

The lawsuit also argues that businesses in Maryland and D.C. have been hurt because groups instead choose to stay at Trump's properties in attempts to get in his good favor.

Last year, a federal judge dismissed a lawsuit from a liberal watchdog organization arguing that Trump was violating the emoluments clause of the Constitution.

<snip>

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/379691-summons-issued-to-trump-in-case-alleging-he-is-violating-emoluments

Xavier

Amusing.  Every President, Senator, and Congressman is taking those illegal funds.

But Let's accuse Trump and all pretend he's the only one who would do it.  Outrageous.

I don't even support Trump, but this is clear Mafia tactics.

Just now, Xavier said:

Amusing.  Every President, Senator, and Congressman is taking those illegal funds.

But Let's accuse Trump and all pretend he's the only one who would do it.  Outrageous.

I don't even support Trump, but this is clear Mafia tactics.

All the detractors have been trying to use this clause and it keeps being mentioned. This is one that they think they can get him on. Probably some grey areas in that clause they're hoping to turn into something in their favor. Has this been tested in the way they want to use it? I don't think so. But I don't know for sure. 

Posted (edited)

Now that Trump has proven he signs anything put on his desk, the demoncraps will do everything to keep him in office, so this is just all an act to placate sour hillary supporters.

Edited by September

11 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

A summons has been issued to President Trump in a lawsuit alleging he is violating the emoluments clause of the Constitution.

The lawsuit — filed by the attorneys general in Washington, D.C., and Maryland — alleges that Trump is violating the clause, which prevents elected officials from receiving gifts or benefits from foreign governments without Congress’s approval, WAMU reported.

The lawsuit is filed against Trump in his "official capacity and in his individual capacity," according to the Washington, D.C., radio station.

The lawsuit also argues that businesses in Maryland and D.C. have been hurt because groups instead choose to stay at Trump's properties in attempts to get in his good favor.

Last year, a federal judge dismissed a lawsuit from a liberal watchdog organization arguing that Trump was violating the emoluments clause of the Constitution.

<snip>

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/379691-summons-issued-to-trump-in-case-alleging-he-is-violating-emoluments

Yawn.... they have been at this for a couple of years.  I suspect we are stuck with the Donald for the rest of this 4 year term and another 4 years after that. IMO

4 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

All the detractors have been trying to use this clause and it keeps being mentioned. This is one that they think they can get him on. Probably some grey areas in that clause they're hoping to turn into something in their favor. Has this been tested in the way they want to use it? I don't think so. But I don't know for sure. 

I'm trying to remember how this works. If Prince Charles gave TrumpZilla a frozen pizza as a gift. Trump would have to turn it over to the WH office that deals with Presidential gifts. If TZ wanted to eat the pizza, he would have to reimburse the US treasury for the value of the gift. I think that's how it worked for all presidents except the Clintons, who got some special deal .. because they are poor.

Where was all  this scrutiny of the Constitution 9 years ago ? Good Grief ! Our country is being torn apart by halfwits. A Civil War would look like it was the idiots against the numbskulls !

1 hour ago, 2many secrets said:

I think that's how it worked for all presidents except the Clintons, who got some special deal .. because they are poor.

Thinking on it, I recall some POTUS making mention complaining of the bill POTUS's are presented with for the private meals and maid service they take during their stay at the WH. ~$150k he said it was, IIRC.

Maybe that was him.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.