silversides

Uber self-driving car dash camera video released in deadly crash

Uber self-driving car dash camera video released in deadly crash

Tempe, Arizona, police release footage from deadly crash involving self-driving Uber

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Video was released Wednesday of a deadly self-driving vehicle crash in suburban Phoenix that shows a pedestrian walking from a darkened area onto a street just moments before an Uber SUV strikes her. The video shows the human backup driver in the SUV looking down until seconds before the crash. The driver looked up and appeared startled during the last moment of the clip.

The 21.8-second video clip stops short of showing the impact and contains views from an exterior camera and an interior one, CBS Tucson affiliate KOLD-TV reports. The lights on the SUV didn't illuminate 49-year-old Elaine Herzberg on Sunday night until a second or two before impact, raising questions about whether the vehicle could have stopped in time.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tempe-arizona-police-release-footage-deadly-crash-self-driving-uber/

Talison

This has everything to do with personal responsibility.

Same result if a human was driving me thinks. Can't see that poor woman until the last second and then it's too late :(

As a pedestrian, I don't trust people in steel cages with wheels. Therefore, I always proceed with caution when crossing a street. I never assume that another will give me the right-of-way. 

29 minutes ago, TheToolman said:

He wasn’t watching except watching his phone.  And she was j-walking....

The car was one of those computer driven ones. I guess if you need the human to constantly observe, then whats the point?

Bound to happen sooner or later, we can probably expect more of these type accidents from self driving vehicles.   Glad it wasn't a self driving semi truck!!

Ouch !  I have a bad feeling about all this new technology .

Self driving vehicles and 5G .. Who needs enemies with friends like these ??

4 minutes ago, CSB said:

Ouch !  I have a bad feeling about all this new technology .

Self driving vehicles and 5G .. Who needs enemies with friends like these ??

I agree, add in trans-humanism,  the new and improved lethal police drones, I could fill the page with new and up and coming tech that is probably going to help lead the human race into extinction.   :pulling-hair:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BubbitoBurrito said:

Same result if a human was driving me thinks. Can't see that poor woman until the last second and then it's too late :(

As a pedestrian, I don't trust people in steel cages with wheels. Therefore, I always proceed with caution when crossing a street. I never assume that another will give me the right-of-way. 

Hard to tell with that crappy camera footage. Try taking a video or photograph with your phone in a dark room or a night and the result will be pitch black, even if you can clearly see everything with your eyes.

Brawndo

The thing monitoring the car isn't paying attention, the jaywalking lady isn't paying attention... and the robot didn't see anything.

That's a lot of fails. 

I've had a few beasts run in front of my car on dark roads and frankly it happens so fast... you barely have time to react.  With the right timing you can't do anything. 

1 hour ago, September said:

Hard to tell with that crappy camera footage. Try taking a video or photograph with your phone in a dark room or a night and the result will be pitch black, even if you can clearly see everything with your eyes.

:iagree:

I've seen promo videos from these self-crashing car manufacturers bragging about on-board RADAR technology. Lighting makes not difference to RADAR. They released this poor video footage to trick the public into pardoning the self-crashing cars.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.