Ukshep

World's last male northern white rhino dies!

On the 19th of March, 2018, Sudan died. He had been suffering from age-related health issues and from a series of infection. Once his condition worsened significantly and he was unable to stand up and evidently, suffered a great deal, the decision to euthanise him was made by his veterinary team.

http://www.olpejetaconservancy.org/sudan-a-tribute-to-an-icon/

And that is literally the death of another species :(

• Sad 2

May I make a correction.

The northern white rhino is a branch of the rhino species and not a species on its own.

We still have white rhino's here in South Africa, Namibia and other parts of southern Africa.

So take heart, all is not lost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unchained@SA said:

May I make a correction.

The northern white rhino is a branch of the rhino species and not a species on its own.

We still have white rhino's here in South Africa, Namibia and other parts of southern Africa.

Truth, but for how long?  WTF is it with humans and their urge to kill animals.  I was brought-up on a farm knowing from a little boy that if you kill something you have to eat it.  No, not the extreme like spiders and insects etc but if you shot a bird or a rabbit etc that would become lunch, dinner and breakfast.  Shooting an animal to boost your feeble ego is utterly lame.  We have in SA the biggest poaching syndicates in the world and rhino and elephant is on their most wanted lists......it's only a matter of time.

The government is not helping much either - https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/mahlobos-rhino-poacher-mate-20161112

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Unchained@SA said:

May I make a correction.

You may. But I see this as major still. Mainly that's because of folk-lore and white animals. Seeing them die out is a dire warning!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

You may. But I see this as major still. Mainly that's because of folk-lore and white animals. Seeing them die out is a dire warning!

True, but a white rhino is actually not white. The white and black rhino are of the same color.

You tell them apart by their lips.

White rhino has a square upper lip where a Black rhino has pointed upper lip.

Like Malevolent, I to was semi raised on a farm. You eat what you kill.

If I can get my hands on a poacher...........there would be hell to pay.

• Like 2

I watched the PBS special on him last week. His is a great story but very sad
because of the insane poaching that killed this species. Scientists are trying
to keep it going by artificial insemination but have not yet been successful.
What fuels the market for rhino horn is the ridiculous Asian (mostly Chinese)
traditional medicine market which grinds them to powder and puts them in drinks.
Sadly, even though many stopped believing such nonsense, the tradition also
became an upper-class social routine. To offer your guest some ground rhino horn powder
in his glass of whatever. R.I.P. Sudan
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/last-rhino-sudan-became-last-male-northern-white-rhino/16040/

• Like 1

They kill for trophies. Horns, heads, taxidermy stuff.

And they kill because of superstition. They use different parts of the animal's body for their superstition... It's so gross... 

I would say education but education does not and will not make a difference. You can talk till you are blue in the face and they will nod and smile and go and ingest whatever it was they were doing. They do not let go of superstition easily. It's usually ingrained from childhood... And it gives them hope.... Hope is very precious. Without it, people do not survive.... 

People do not care because they are greedy. It all seems to come down to greed. Ego is very needy and greedy..... For some reason, people want to live forever... I don't understand the idea but then, this is not my home and I want to go home. Not stay here forever. I don't particularly like this place.  ;) 

I would think they took cells for cloning or some sperm from the white rhino. They take the sperm from prize bulls. And then they inject that sperm into the cows and waa-laa... babies.... Cloning has been around long enough, it's an easy procedure. 

Watch the news. There might be a birth announcement one day. Those animal people are fanatical about 'saving' animals. And Barbara Stristand (spelled wrong) cloned her dog twice. She claimed it cost $10,000 each dog. She has two clones. That's cheap. I expect to see some clones of this rhino. Unless it's handlers were idiots and I don't believe they were. So.... If this is the last one, shame on them. We have the means to save them if they want to. Money... Takes money. 

I do not approve of cloning. I wonder if clones has souls... Or if they are empty shells that something is occupying like the soul occupies the physical body until you die. That's my brand of superstition showing huh? And I will listen to you about it but..... The sperm should have been easy to get I would think. They get it from bulls and if you've even been around bulls..... I would not want that job myself. Monsters, just monsters, those bulls are... That would be something to watch I would think. Takes a special person....  and rubber gloves?... ;) 

Not to derail, cause I think its horrible for this animal.      But Syb, in regards to if cloned animals have souls.    Just a thought experiment here, what do you think about chickens and do you think they have souls?   farmed chickens hatch and are sorted and most of the male chicks go into a grinder.  Did they have souls?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.