Ukshep

Uber Halts Autonomous-Car Testing After Fatal Arizona Crash

Ukshep    25,454

A self-driving car from Uber Technologies Inc. hit and killed a woman in Tempe, Arizona, on Sunday evening, what is likely the first pedestrian fatality involving a driverless vehicle.

The woman was crossing the road when the Uber vehicle, operating in autonomous mode, struck her, according to the Tempe Police Department. She was transferred to a local hospital where she died from her injuries.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-19/uber-autonomous-car-involved-in-fatal-crash-in-arizona

The first woman killer by a self-driving car.... *sigh*

Ukshep    25,454
1 minute ago, ScroodeMcDuck said:

Terminator in training !

What are the chances that they come out and say it was hacked?? Then again. They'd keep that secret. All I could think while reading the story was.... Who hacked the car and who was the woman..

• Like 2

Malevolent    3,451
29 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

Who hacked the car and who was the woman..

Dammit! Now you got me thinking of the myriad of possibilities..........first name HRC  umps to mind as the sponsor of the hacker......:gsbrnint:

• Like 1

Google tested their cars in Mountain View CA. There were many accidents reported in the news. The number became questionable, as some figured Google was pressuring the news media to not report the accidents through revenue limits. One paper would report an accident and it would be ignored by all others. I recall a friend reporting one he saw take place, that was never in the news. My favorite was a non driver Google car crashing into a non driver Apple (?) car on the freeway. That one made the news as hundreds of people saw it.

• Like 2

TheToolman    1,595

Humm, she was J-Walking.....  Not the car's fault right?  Even the driver behind the wheel didn't think anything of it.  There is video on the car so I guess we just wait and see.

Cygnus    112
2 minutes ago, TheToolman said:

Humm, she was J-Walking.....  Not the car's fault right?  Even the driver behind the wheel didn't think anything of it.  There is video on the car so I guess we just wait and see.

The video will be interesting.  I'm wondering if a human driver would have hit her or not.  Having gone to ASU I know that area well.  Where the accident happened is a darker part of the street and a big curve to the road.  It's not the safest place to be j-walking at night.  There's also a smaller sized concert venue there.  I'm wondering if she was j-walking drunk after a show in an area that's not well lit.  If so it's a bad combo if the car was autonomous or not.  

TheToolman    1,595
54 minutes ago, Cygnus said:

The video will be interesting.  I'm wondering if a human driver would have hit her or not.  Having gone to ASU I know that area well.  Where the accident happened is a darker part of the street and a big curve to the road.  It's not the safest place to be j-walking at night.  There's also a smaller sized concert venue there.  I'm wondering if she was j-walking drunk after a show in an area that's not well lit.  If so it's a bad combo if the car was autonomous or not.  

I graduated from ASU in 1990.  So I believe I know the area you're talking.  bad area to be j-walking...   Again, the car camera will tell the real story.

Cygnus    112
1 hour ago, TheToolman said:

I graduated from ASU in 1990.  So I believe I know the area you're talking.  bad area to be j-walking...   Again, the car camera will tell the real story.

I don't know if you've been back.  It's a little better then in 1990 there but not much.  The accident happened on Mill right around Curry.  Curry now turns into Washington right at Mill.  I forget when they connected the two.  Then right on the SW corner in '93 they build the Red River Opry which is now the Marquee Theater.  It didn't help much with lighting though.  The building is the typical low level outside lighting  that that area has and the parking lot for it is on the opposite side of the building.  It's still not someplace I'd want to be j-walking at night, especially if I've been drinking.  The camera will tell us though.  My gut says it's not going to be pretty and that it'll show fault all around.  It won't be the killer robot cars that some reports are trying to portray right now.  Which is almost too bad since I hate Uber and the self driving cars around here.   

God Man    1,186
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ukshep said:

A self-driving car from Uber Technologies Inc. hit and killed a woman in Tempe, Arizona, on Sunday evening, what is likely the first pedestrian fatality involving a driverless vehicle.

The woman was crossing the road when the Uber vehicle, operating in autonomous mode, struck her, according to the Tempe Police Department. She was transferred to a local hospital where she died from her injuries.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-19/uber-autonomous-car-involved-in-fatal-crash-in-arizona

The first woman killer by a self-driving car.... *sigh*

The response will be something like - " A chip would have provided a signal to the car as to the location of the citizen." "Wearing or implanting a chip will save lives as that is will provide protection for citizens out on public roads."  We must create new laws requiring all citizens not in cars to have a chip in order to save lives and prevent this from happening again."

Edited by God Man
  • Like 1

Full Throttle    2,103
3 hours ago, TheToolman said:

Could be a thought crime. Either way, even not thinking when you should be thinking could make you complicit. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.