COBO Member

Obama...Definitely Best Firearms Salesman!

COBO Member    3,801

Definitely didn't see this coming. Although their recent foray into handguns hasn't exactly been a smashing success. Especially with the recent disaster of bringing the RM51 to market too soon.

BadBrad    27

Colt is also in very serious money trouble. Rumors of bankruptcy swirl constantly. It does not help that the firms are headquartered in the heart of anti-gun States like New England. Unions, taxes, & laws  make things even tougher in a bad economy.

COBO Member    3,801
16 minutes ago, BadBrad said:

Colt is also in very serious money trouble. Rumors of bankruptcy swirl constantly. It does not help that the firms are headquartered in the heart of anti-gun States like New England. Unions, taxes, & laws  make things even tougher in a bad economy.

Actually, Colt is on a semi-comeback with the star being a return to double action revolvers like the new Cobra. A lot of us are sittin' on go waiting to see if there might be a variation or three from it. Plus a line of competition 1911's based on the "Series 70" design.

phxsparks    1,167
9 hours ago, COBO Member said:

Another giant negotiating bankruptcy:

"Remington Outdoor Company, one of the largest gun makers in the country, reached a restructuring support agreement with creditors to reduce outstanding debt and fund operations during bankruptcy proceedings."

http://www.guns.com/2018/02/12/remington-enters-agreement-for-bankruptcy-plans/

I will add to this sad commentary, that Remington is known to be a fine manufacturer of rifles and shot guns.  Their firearms produced in years gone by are wonderful and still fully functional after many years ( like 80).  I wondered how their fore into handguns would work out.  I guess we now know the answer to that question.

• Sad 1

This could be another strategic plan from our government.  Put all the gun makers out of business and there is their gun control.

Let's not forget the amount of ammunition that Remington makes also.

Edited by BackToThe_Shadow

COBO Member    3,801
1 minute ago, BackToThe_Shadow said:

This could be another strategic plan from our government.  Put all the gun makers out of business and there is their gun control.

Not in this case. As already mentioned, Remington is known worldwide for its quality rifles and shotguns.

But they decided to expand into handguns, namely the 1911 when everybody and his brother is putting one out today. Then they attempted to revive the old R51 and the initial offering failed miserably. That misadventure alone cost them millions.

Factor all that with stiff competition from Savage (rifles) and Mossberg (shotguns), and the table is set.

And FYI, Federal just announced a done deal with NSWC for a ton of .40cal training ammo. So it appears the Navy got a helluva deal on the downtrending cartridge.

COBO Member    3,801
21 minutes ago, September said:

They have been out-competed by Mossberg.

No doubt, Mossberg is a company to be reckoned with today. As opposed to back before they redesigned their pump mechanisms from the old clunky single arm. Just like I mentioned Savage earlier. Savage has put out some incredibly accurate off the shelf bolt rifles competing H2H with Remington's <ahem> less economical offerings. But the keen eye can easily find where Mossberg and Savage cut corners to reduce costs.

In the end, just like Colt, I suspect Remington will bounce back after reorganization. And if not? Well, let's just say I'll already got spare rings'n'springs for my ancient Rem1100 that still runs like a top. And I bought it used from a skeet and trap club over in Japan decades ago.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.