Sign in to follow this  
Cinnamon

Scientists Warn Bizarre ‘Zombie’ Disease Could Soon Appear in Humans [Merged]

Cinnamon    26,282

Many of humanity’s worst epidemics have begun when infectious diseases make the jump from animals to humans. The Black Death, one of the deadliest pandemics in the history of human civilization, was spread when Oriental rat fleas living on rats began infecting humans with the Yersinia pestis bacteria they were carrying. Throughout the past decade, many types of bird and swine flu have jumped from animals to humans, causing deadly outbreaks in many parts of the world. Now, scientists in North America are growing increasingly concerned about the risk of a bizarre “zombie” disease being transmitted to humans through the consumption of infected animals’ meat. Is it time to give that veganism thing a shot?

<snip>

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2018/01/scientists-warn-bizarre-zombie-disease-could-soon-appear-in-humans/

There are no sources in this article. Just "food' for thought and a creepy read! 

• Like 2

Cinnamon    26,282

Here's more on this with more sources

Deer are dying from mysterious chronic wasting disease sparking concerns the infection could spread to humans

But direct contact isn't the only way prions are transmitted. According to The New York Times, sick animals and cadavers can spread prions through plants and soil, which could be coated with deformed proteins for years, perhaps even decades. 

An animal infected with the disease can live two years before signs of symptoms -- such as a vacant stare, thick saliva, exposed ribs or drooping heads -- become visible. 

There have been no reported human illnesses due to the disease, and scientists don't have conclusive evidence that infected meat has ever harmed people, suggesting there is a "species barrier" between humans and deer. 

Researchers led by Mark Zabel, associate director at Colorado State University's Prion Research Center, found that macaque monkeys who ate infected deer contracted the disease, the first time the disease was shown to spread to a primate through meat. 

"While most research shows there's a robust species barrier, this recent study showed that barrier might not be quite as robust as we once thought," Matt Dunfee, head of the Chronic Wasting Disease Alliancein Fort Collins, Colorado, told NPR. 

Zabel and his team also found that the prions involved in the "zombie disease," which scientists have only known about for 50 years, are probably still evolving, "which leads us to believe it's only a matter of time before a prion emerges that can spread to humans," NPR reported. 

Mad cow disease, for example, is a prion disease that evolved from scrapie, a deadly disease that afflicts sheep. Once the prions were passed to cows, the cows developed a prion disease of their own (mad cow disease). And when humans ate the beef from those sick cows, they developed prions in their own brains. As of 2016, according to the Food and Drug Administration, 231 people had died from the condition. 
<snip>

berserkelf   
berserkelf

Should read about Alabama Rot if CWD creeps you out.

Prions are thing I need to read more about.

Edited by berserkelf

Cinnamon    26,282
34 minutes ago, TheToolman said:

I would love a good zombie outbreak!  Finally get to put those skilz to work.

We can be like:

Cinnamon    26,282
1 hour ago, berserkelf said:

Should read about Alabama Rot if CWD creeps you out.

Prions are thing I need to read more about.

I've never heard of Alabama Rot. Prions are really creepeh because they can live for so long and are so hard to destroy.

berserkelf   
berserkelf

@Cinnamon

A strange and potentially fatal canine disease called Alabama rot, scientific name idiopathic cutaneous and renal glomerular vasculopathy (CRGV), is spreading across the U.K.
CRGV was first identified in U.S. racing Greyhounds during the 1980s, and was thought to be related to bacterial toxins produced by E. coli
The U.K. cases seem unrelated to E. coli, and may instead be linked to bacteria from rotting vegetation or in streams or ponds
The primary symptoms are red patches of skin and/or ulcers on the skin, which can be followed in the most serious cases by kidney damage and potentially, kidney failure
U.K. veterinarians are advising dog owners to wash off woodland mud after walking their pets, and keeping a careful watch for skin redness or lesions that should be reported to a veterinarian right away

I don't wanna post pics of it... just nasty.

Cinnamon    26,282
3 minutes ago, berserkelf said:

@Cinnamon

A strange and potentially fatal canine disease called Alabama rot, scientific name idiopathic cutaneous and renal glomerular vasculopathy (CRGV), is spreading across the U.K.
CRGV was first identified in U.S. racing Greyhounds during the 1980s, and was thought to be related to bacterial toxins produced by E. coli
The U.K. cases seem unrelated to E. coli, and may instead be linked to bacteria from rotting vegetation or in streams or ponds
The primary symptoms are red patches of skin and/or ulcers on the skin, which can be followed in the most serious cases by kidney damage and potentially, kidney failure
U.K. veterinarians are advising dog owners to wash off woodland mud after walking their pets, and keeping a careful watch for skin redness or lesions that should be reported to a veterinarian right away

I don't wanna post pics of it... just nasty.

Thanks for the info. When I get a few I'll check it out. Poor animals! 

DRUMZ    1,323
14 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

. Is it time to give that veganism thing a shot?

Won't matter. I googled  veganism, vegetarian cheaters, turns out that they all "cheat" and eat meat or dairy or fish or whatever.

:naughty:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this