Superkicker

KY to Require Work for Medicaid

apache54    5,343
18 minutes ago, Superkicker said:

They just keep pushing toward open rebellion, don't they?

yes they do, don't they!!

Ukshep    21,548
5 hours ago, Superkicker said:

Not sure. I can't seem to understand what the f**k is going on with the healthcare system in the us. It's confusing in comparison to what we have here in the UK!

• Like 1

phxsparks    1,007
37 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

Not sure. I can't seem to understand what the f**k is going on with the healthcare system in the us. It's confusing in comparison to what we have here in the UK!

Medicare is a Federal Program for retirees who have been paying into the system for years.  Much like Social Security.

Medicaid is managed by each individual state in the U.S.  Medicaid pays for the indigent and others who do not have the financial where withall for medical care.  Much of Medicaid health care takes place at County funded hospitals and medical centers. 

The Feds are reducing payments to states thus forcing the states to pay for Medicaid on their own.

Its a push me pull you situation at the least.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Superkicker said:

I had a really snappy answer until I realized we not talking about the jelly kind.

I was thinking about that ticker and the missus.

She barely survived last time tiger!

Then I once again  mis-read...Fine...On purpose I misquoted the truth..It was not a lie.

If you like your Doctor...

Edited by Just an Ogre Guy
Would you believe retardation of the brain?

sybdragon    1,582

Not sure how this will work out. Lots of people on Medicaid do not have cars to get anywhere and they live where there are no opportunities like that. For me to get into town and home, it takes a couple gallons of gas, which will cost $4.98 today. People will just lose their coverage is all. After all, they got rid of the income tax fine so there is no penalty for not having insurance again. I would think that the insurance companies wanted this move too. It will take some people off their insurance as Kentucky Medicaid is covered by Humana, Blue Cross/Blue Shield and Wellcare of Kentucky in my area. So these companies will drop some customers and Kentucky will drop some premiums for those people and save money. But there are a lot of people that are working that this would not effect. It is going to effect the stay at home spouses. Childcare isn't cheap and when you have a few kids and earn minimum wage, you do not pay people to keep your kids. Someone stays at home. And volunteering? Where? School? That's a $10 gas bill and you do not go 80 hours a month, the same with any job training stuff. And I'm thinking that there are not going to be enough spaces for all the people that would want to go with these new requirements. I am sure my little town is going to fudge some stuff because they always do. It would be a hardship to have to leave my county area to do one of those things and some places here are worse than mine. 

Basically, this is the only way the new governor could fulfill his election promise. He promised to roll back the Medicaid program because Kentucky was broke. Kentucky has a huge problem in their pension funds. https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2017/11/13/kentucky-pension-reform-debts-jump-more-than-5-billion/857675001/

https://pensions.ky.gov/Pages/index.aspx

Here's the proposal Kentucky sent to the feds. I am assuming the feds approved it all. Very interesting. Guess I need to go get some glasses in the next month or so. This is suppose to start in July.  http://chfs.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/A7F17FE3-7E2D-40EF-B404-5D8D12DB9EAB/0/62216KentuckyHEALTHWaiverProposal.pdf

They are going to force people to take insurance at their workplace and put their spouse and children on it also. So if your employer offers insurance, you must buy the insurance because they will drop you off the Medicaid rolls in the second year of your job coverage. Kentucky will pay half of the premium and the you will pay half. Kentucky will also give you a 'wrap around coverage' to pay for the co-pays and stuff the insurance doesn't pay that Medicaid does. They will also pay a $1000 deductible per year for you. 

They are also dropping the eye and dental coverage for adults. The eye coverage is/was one exam and glasses every 2 years. Dental was x-rays, cleaning once a year and pulling of teeth for adults. They are doing away with this. A monthly premium of $1-$15 depending on income and family size. And the premium goes up yearly for the next 5 years, up to $37.50. If you do not pay your monthly premium within 60 days of when it's due, you will be kicked off for 6 months before you can re-enroll. 

This was expected. Other states will follow this example and the health insurance companies will be happy. Everyone will be paying out but them. The Obamacare bill they wrote didn't go as they planned. Now they are fixing it. New social experiment. 5 year one. ;) I am sure they will leak some data out yearly about how well it's doing and how much money they are saving or something. They do love their experiments. 

Edited by sybdragon
  • Like 1