Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Sign Up To Remove Ads! | Purchase An Ad Slot!


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?


Whew, that felt nice!

Recommended Posts

Sorry, I have not posted for a while I had cabin fever and needed to leave town before Christmas with the wife and son.

I took family and my dog and went away to the cabin over the holidays and what a "Whew" time! Got to the cabin late at night, the wife, son and dog and I got out of the truck to stretch I Felt a huge calming come over me as I exhaled. Jasper (the dog) ran off to check the territory. I took a look at the property before going inside the cabin and everything was in its place. Unlocked the door guard (steel cross beams with titanium locks on both sides front and back door). Anyways I got in and we lite some candles and a propane lantern so I could start started a fire.

I sat down in my Lazyboy and watched the kindling build into a nice bed of coals. The wife was already starting to relax and the kid just went to bed after being on the road all day. I stoked the fire up and went into the kitchen to put away my supplies. I figured I could last out here for at least a couple of weeks without hunting or foraging.

It started to get really warm in the cabin, so I opened a window behind the sink that overlooks the thin tree line and the mountains, the smell of the night air was wonderful. It felt good to be home. Every time we go to the cabin we get a sense of solitude and tranquillity. With no electricity buzzing in the walls or no phone signals for miles can be pretty humbling, to say the least, and very peaceful. The wife decided to make a loaf of sourdough bread that would rise overnight giving us a fresh loaf in the morning after we popped it into the baker’s box on top of the wood burning stove when I get the fire going in the morning. I decided to go out to the shop and check things out there before going to bed for the night.  Wife went to the bedroom to put our stuff away and get the little stove in the corner going (kindling stove). She likes to light that one. Small and simple.Always remember to holster up when walking around in the woods, alone in the dark. Just something I do for safety.  When I got to the shop and unlocked the steel crossbeam and went into the shop. Then I opened the barn doors from the inside to let in some moonlight.
I grabbed a stool and sat down and lit up an American Spirit taking it all in. I started thinking about everything, the world, Antifa, race wars and a whole lot more.

It got me to start thinking proactively. I just sit back and respond to posts, and at times post something I think is important enough to bring to the forum. In the end what good did I accomplish? Not much if anything. I sat there thinking of how I could actually contribute to society instead of just Recycled things posted on the internet as well as my place in this big old universe! (Details at end) After the smoke and some deep thoughts while looking at a crystal clear sky with so many stars you get lost just looking up at them all. They are so beautiful, to say the least, I closed up the shop and went back inside the cabin.

We snuggled into the warm bed, and Jasper at the foot of the bed fast asleep.

I woke the next morning to a couple of friends arriving (the dog signalled me that someone was here) I got up (in my long johns) and answered the door. Dave his wife and bill came up for the holiday. Invited them in and ran to the bedroom to get dressed also letting the wife know they were here. I went back into the main area of the cabin and asked Dave to start the fire so I could get the bread going. When I came out of the bedroom I noticed the sourdough loaf had risen and now ready to bake. Dave got the fire raging as he always does and the thermometer on the baker’s box on top showed 375.
So the bread went in and 40 minutes later filled the cabin with the vapors of fresh bread. Time to make breakfast! Everyone brought enough supplies for us all to last well over a month. I made eggs, bacon and sourdough toast for breakfast and life was good, and our bellies were full.
I asked them all over breakfast if they wanted to go fishing for steelhead or salmon for supper. Both could be obtained from the same Salmon River.
We got all packed up and headed down to north fork (and a few backroads) to my favorite fishing hole.

About 30 years ago my uncle but a box spring in the water to distract flatlanders (city folk) from trying to fish there. They would always get snagged when they cast across the snake river trolling their lures  back to their side of the bank, most would get the snag and move to another spot. Once a year my uncle would pull out the box spring and recover any lures there might be.
One year he found a diamond ring on a treble hook. Every year he hopes for the best but still no more rings on treble hooks. lol

We caught a 42-inch resident steelhead and wife caught a 40-inch salmon. Dave and his wife did not catch anything but a few snags, and Bill caught a 34-inch steelhead. They were all perfect for dinner. We headed back up to the cabin but stopped along the way to get something to eat. We all ate our fill and caught up on old conversations.
We all got back in the Dodge truck and an hour later we were back at the cabin. Dave's wife asked how the hot tub worked and the wife told her the water was gravity feed system and spiralled under the compost bed about 6 times generating plenty of heat for the sink, shower and hot tub. The wife and Dave’s wife shared a bottle of wine while it was filling and heating up filled it making sure the temp was 110 degrees or so and we all jumped in and shared a bottle of wine as our bodies pruned up from being the hot tub for two hours. The hot tub was made out of an old wine barrel, 10 ft. across and about 4 ft. high with anchored wooden benches on three sides.

Later My Wife and son went with Dave and his wife went for a walk up the gulch and bill and I smoked a doobie while sitting on the front porch (only do this on occasion).  The wife had put out some sun tea, and it would be a few hours until it was done brewing on the porch. The sun really lit that jug up or we were just really lit from the doobie. Lol, later that night after dinner we all sank into our places enjoying cooking for each other, played some board games, cards and conversation.
Christmas came and went as we did not have a tree up, we did wish each other a Merry Christmas and traded some gifts (for the son), and then on New Year’s drank till 1 am and went to bed.

I got up early on the 1st told the wife I was going hunting and grabbed my 30/30 and headed up the gulch. I had seen a buck up there a few days earlier and hoped I would run into him again. Venison is sounding sooo good, I wanted to take some back to town with us for winter meat. I walked for about an hour and when I crested the hill, there he was on the other side about 50 yards down the hill from me. I took aim just watched him graze. I couldn't do it. I have been hunting my whole life and this was the first time I hesitated to shoot the animal on first sight. I stayed there for about 30 minutes watching him feed when a doe and two fawns came in and now I knew they were a family. A tear rolled down my face because I almost shot the dad (i never get choked up when hunting), it was a touching moment for me. I made an oath that day, that I will only take from nature that which I truly need. If a survival situation comes down and I end up at the cabin if there is no fish, eggs or chickens I will kill again. Only out of necessity could I kill again and give thanks to the animal so that I could live another day. I went back to the cabin and told everyone what happened and what I saw while sitting on the side of the hill. We finished talking about it and they all let me know my new choice was Ok, except Bill.

Bill was kind of irritated that his hunting buddy just gave it up hunting unless extreme conditions demand the protein. He was kind of a bear the rest of the time at the cabin. I hope he gets over himself. For the next couple of weeks, I just enjoyed the cabin, company and on occasion when a deer came into the cabin area, but Jasper would quickly run them off while chasing them and barking at them. It was relaxing, to say the least. Days rolled into one another and before I knew it, it was time to close and lock it all up everything and leave for the city. The drive is about 8 hrs. if you take your time back to the city house. We said our goodbyes to our friends and all went home.

When we got home and went in I turned on the lights then turned them off again, and then back on. Electricity what a modern miracle, the wife said I was just crazy. lol
Turned on the heater thermostat on the wall and sat in my other Lazyboy and fell asleep until the next morning. I got up and decided to have my coffee on the back porch. I could hear the sirens, cars and some people taking in their backyards. I was glad that I have the cabin (passed down to me) so that I can get away from the city.

I sat there thinking about sitting in the shop on that stool looking at the stars again. The whole trip was rejuvenating and an eye opener about hunting and what to do with the rest of my life.

After much contemplation, I decided to volunteer at the local homeless shelters and the animal shelters in our area because I am retired. It felt good to make a choice, call it a New Year’s resolution if you will, for me it was a realization that I needed to do more than just sit on butt on the computer all the time. I put in time as a Motion Picture/ Post Production Cameraman, 20 years as an IT guy who fell for a lot of the crap that was ever posted to the internet about who we are, where we come from the aliens, 2012, evolution, flat-earth and the list goes on and on and on. What was the point? To be scared something was going to happen? Not anymore...

Made a list of the things I am going to try and accomplish this year.
1. Donate my time to help homeless people.
2. Donate time to the local Animal Shelter or Animal Rescue.

A couple of things I will continue to do on the computer:
1. Keep the Survival Files website going, and continually add files as I find them.
2. Post here at Conspiracy Outpost
3. Track leads for the Ghost of 29 Megacycles (posted to this forum)
4. Help out others any way I can, including animals.

Just wanted everyone to know why I vanished and where I went, hope no one is mad at me.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You painted a nice picture.  Thank you.  

And you had me at compost heated water.  Did you make that?  Or was it there?  Not many people know about that and are amazed at how much heat can be generated.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful post Question if your retired why are you still in the city. I'd never go back .I work a 2 week on and off schedule and in the summer I rarely go home spend my time on our lot in the trailer at the lake 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a great post!

i too found many years ago that was the only way to live life, and so i live in a remote area except the fishing is pretty much not there, but every thing else is, and that is where i am spend my remaining days.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good post, reinforces my commitment to deal with everyday things appropriately....Balance, thoughtfulness and wisdom  

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Shah me and the wife's dream.  We are years away.  Maybe a decade,  from being able to cut and live in the sticks like we hope to with no jobs or worries. Just ourselves and the world god intended.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites