Ukshep

Florida Monkeys Excreting Rare Disease that Can Kill Humans, Scientists Warn

Ukshep    21,653

Wildlife managers in Florida say they want to remove roaming monkeys from the state in light of a new study published on Wednesday, which finds some of the animals are excreting a virus that can be dangerous to humans.

Scientists studying a growing population of rhesus macaques in Silver Springs state park say that rather than just carrying herpes B, which is common in the species, some of the monkeys have the virus in their saliva and other bodily fluids, posing a potential risk of spreading the disease.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/10/florida-monkeys-excreting-rare-disease-that-can-kill-humans-scientists-warn

How many movies are based around monkey's and a virus.... I never like it when reality starts to mirror slightly art....

• Like 1

Groove    2,081
2 hours ago, Chilen said:

I didn't even know there were monkey's in Florida.

Yeah there's a bunch down there. People bring them in and can't take care of them and just let them go into the wild. Same thing with all kinds of diff animals down there. I used to see monkeys and pythons and anacondas in the Everglades. 

Ukshep    21,653
2 hours ago, Chilen said:

I didn't even know there were monkey's in Florida.

Monkeys in many places you might not expect, Some natural. Some lost pets that bred.

6 hours ago, Groove said:

Yeah there's a bunch down there. People bring them in and can't take care of them and just let them go into the wild. Same thing with all kinds of diff animals down there. I used to see monkeys and pythons and anacondas in the Everglades. 

I can't stand people that buy pets and then decide they can't or do not want to take care of them and just release them where ever.

• Like 1

Groove    2,081
14 hours ago, notgoingtorespond said:

I can't stand people that buy pets and then decide they can't or do not want to take care of them and just release them where ever.

Yep. I hate that crap. I went off on my ex father in law for doin that to a dog of mine all because he was a mixed chow and he had a bad experience with a chow as a kid. My dog was trained and wouldn't harm anyone unless I told him too. Came home from work one day and no dog, took 3 days for that asshat to tell me he took him off, I about beat his old ass into the ground.