Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

crabb

Pacific Northwest salmon are in big genetic trouble

They still wont say the radiation word will they?

Chinook salmon, an iconic species in the Pacific Northwest, have lost up to two-thirds of their genetic diversity over the past 7000 years, researchers report. The finding underscores a long-held concern that future salmon populations are imperiled by a combination of stream habitat loss, overfishing, dams, and the release of millions of fingerlings from hatcheries—even as the fish try to respond to climate change and ocean acidification.

“It’s a fascinating report,” says Matthew Sloat, a fisheries ecologist with the Wild Salmon Center, a nonprofit salmon conservation group in Portland, Oregon. “The main conclusion is not terribly surprising,” he says, but “it does confirm a long-standing guess that there has been a broad loss of genetic diversity in the [Columbia River] Basin.”

Genetic diversity is often key to enabling a species to adapt to changing environmental conditions. In salmon, for example, some individuals or populations might carry genes that make them less susceptible to new diseases or warming seas, enabling the species to survive the loss of other genetic strains.

Number one cause native over fishing period i know lots of them and what ive seen make your toe nails curl

True dat. I am not against Native fishing, but just this year, dungeness river was too low for the run to start. They stacked up in the bay and just got scooped up constantly. Not good.

A little lighter hand, let the fish live, let them make more, for all our sakes. Hard choice vs feeding your own family I suppose, but still hard to watch.

5 hours ago, Picklesnout said:

True dat. I am not against Native fishing, but just this year, dungeness river was too low for the run to start. They stacked up in the bay and just got scooped up constantly. Not good.

A little lighter hand, let the fish live, let them make more, for all our sakes. Hard choice vs feeding your own family I suppose, but still hard to watch.

Has nothing to do with feeding there family's its them selling them out of there trucks.A friend of mines brother use to park in grounds with his camper and crack dealer would come down trade his fish for drugs and he' be down there the season smoking crack and fishing 24 7

3 hours ago, Sagd said:

Has nothing to do with feeding there family's its them selling them out of there trucks.A friend of mines brother use to park in grounds with his camper and crack dealer would come down trade his fish for drugs and he' be down there the season smoking crack and fishing 24 7

Thats even worse! 

16 hours ago, Sagd said:

Number one cause native over fishing period i know lots of them and what ive seen make your toe nails curl

Ex commercial fisherman here, I`ve seen some shit too. Like a native only food and ceremonial fishery for Chum salmon in Johnstone Strait - early 80s.

Many seine boats, MANY...per boat average 40,000 lbs plus. The Alert Bay native population could never process and absorb the volume of salmon I saw caught. It was sold and Madi Gras was on...  

Radiation has destroyed the Pacific

Know what scares the shit out of me tho....

I do picture a few aggressive shark species actually growing and mutating into megalodons 

Whale and fish populations are tanking

No one will say officially the exact connection but radiation and wildlife don't mix well

Damn sharks though

You're gonna see 50 footers in 20 years

On 1/10/2018 at 9:47 PM, Sagd said:

heard the same shit repeatedly a country away and a quarter century ago.\\

oh, and this was mostly about sockeye.  

turns out it was probably the fish farms..