Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Ukshep

Seattle imposes sin tax on soda...

Ukshep    25,403

Seattle has decided to impose a 1.75 cent per ounce tax on all sugary beverages within the city with the hopes of raising a $15 million revenue stream that it will use for programs to help people “have better access to fresh fruits and vegetables,” as Seattle station KIRO 7 explains. The price of Gatorade Frost Variety Pack at Costco, usually $15.99, with the $10.34 tax, shot up to $26.33, leaving customers with sticker-shock.

There’s more than a few problems with the new tax scheme, which a sign right next to the Gatorade in Costco helpfully demonstrates.

http://rare.us/rare-politics/issues/taxation-nation/seattle-attempts-to-impose-morality-with-ridiculously-high-taxes-on-sugary-drinks/

I like the tax on sugary drinks because it's just good to have kids drinking less of it. However. I think they went too far here. $10 tax on a $16 case of gatorade for instance makes it $26.... Smells like daytime robbery to me.

notgoingtorespond   
notgoingtorespond

Who's pushing for these taxes? Probably some company that sells bottled water. I don't necessarily say that you shouldn't be drinking too much sugar but you shouldn't be drinking any hfcs or fructose as they now call it too.

who knows    807

Seattle is doing or trying to do this kind of stuff all the time. I will never go back and I spent many days and nights in seattle.I broke up with it!  They will never get anymore of my $

Hung Likable    387
1 hour ago, Ukshep said:

I like the tax on sugary drinks because it's just good to have kids drinking less of it. However. I think they went too far here. $10 tax on a $16 case of gatorade for instance makes it $26.... Smells like daytime robbery to me.

Yeah, we should all be able to tax the desires and habits of everyone else who don't conform to our interpretations of the world ... "for the children."

Can't agree with you on this one Shep.  Punishing me (or whomever) because other people pump their kids full of trash is a misdirection.  May as well just ban everything you think kids shouldn't eat.

Ukshep    25,403
25 minutes ago, Hung Likable said:

Yeah, we should all be able to tax the desires and habits of everyone else who don't conform to our interpretations of the world ... "for the children."

Can't agree with you on this one Shep.  Punishing me (or whomever) because other people pump their kids full of trash is a misdirection.  May as well just ban everything you think kids shouldn't eat.

I'm ok with a minor tax to discourage what is technically poison for the body. But I agree with what you say. It's ok to nudge slightly to try and fix some health concerns. But beyond that. You end up in draconian thinking and that is always bad.

phxsparks    1,587
3 hours ago, Ukshep said:

Seattle has decided to impose a 1.75 cent per ounce tax on all sugary beverages within the city with the hopes of raising a $15 million revenue stream that it will use for programs to help people “have better access to fresh fruits and vegetables,” as Seattle station KIRO 7 explains. The price of Gatorade Frost Variety Pack at Costco, usually $15.99, with the $10.34 tax, shot up to $26.33, leaving customers with sticker-shock.

There’s more than a few problems with the new tax scheme, which a sign right next to the Gatorade in Costco helpfully demonstrates.

http://rare.us/rare-politics/issues/taxation-nation/seattle-attempts-to-impose-morality-with-ridiculously-high-taxes-on-sugary-drinks/

This is absurd.  Another example of cities looking for money to fund their libtard dreams.  Of course its all about the Kids, that's the only way they can justify such robbery.

BTW Gatorade is not a soda so there should be no tax on it.  Purchase GA in powder form and make your own, it tastes better anyway.

Soda mixes can be purchased on line, add CO2 and you have a soda.

Then there is Kool-aid in powder form, it has real cane sugar in it, no artificial sweeteners or HFCS.  :D

Wasn't it New York that tried taxing sodas and it was a huge fail.

TheToolman    1,595

Just so you know, it is suppose to be on "Sugary Drinks".   Well, if you head into a Starbucks in Seattle, they are exempt from the tax.

apache54    6,049
3 hours ago, Ukshep said:

more LIBTARD crap!! is this what people want??   "IDIOTS"  in charge!!! I don't think so,  IF this was to spread into other things then comes your riots!!! as predicted.

Cinnamon    28,893

Another place tried that and I think they had to repeal it. I forgot where it was.