Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Karl

Double Major or Law Degree

22 hours ago, Karl said:

I like to paint, clean, cook, garden. I’d make a stellar stay at home spouse. I don’t really have a choice financially. 

Part of the problem is that the only careers my university even hints at being possibilities are your standard accountant, financial analyst, etc. I don’t know what type of career I would even apply to. That’s a hard place to begin at. 

financial analyst requires more schooling. you could also go for a CFP.
I almost went to UVM for CFP, they have a well-regarded program.
I do not believe it would be worth it to elevate the Economics from minor
to major - unless you want to get into teaching, which is another option,
requiring education classes to the MA level.
You are, of course, hireable right now with a Finance BA at the investment firms
and in banks. Going to law school is very expensive and time-consuming.
I know many lawyers - regular guys I was friends with - whether in Wills and Insurance,
Estate Planning, Real Estate, Divorce, Injury, Criminal, Politics - all - none regret becoming attorneys
but did sacrifice to get where they are - not only in school but for a number of years
afterward until they were established with case work.

4 hours ago, snowball said:

financial analyst requires more schooling. you could also go for a CFP.
I almost went to UVM for CFP, they have a well-regarded program.
I do not believe it would be worth it to elevate the Economics from minor
to major - unless you want to get into teaching, which is another option,
requiring education classes to the MA level.
You are, of course, hireable right now with a Finance BA at the investment firms
and in banks. Going to law school is very expensive and time-consuming.
I know many lawyers - regular guys I was friends with - whether in Wills and Insurance,
Estate Planning, Real Estate, Divorce, Injury, Criminal, Politics - all - none regret becoming attorneys
but did sacrifice to get where they are - not only in school but for a number of years
afterward until they were established with case work.

Thank you! I like the challenge that law offers, my life is full of sacrifices thus far and they’ve done nothing but make me stronger. What is a few more! 

I don’t like finance, which is the only reason I am considering more school. It is just not my cup of tea and I feel like lots of positions in finance would not offer me many opportunities to help people. 

Hearing that none of the lawyers you know regret their decision gives me lots of confidence. Thanks for spending so much time going through this with me my friend. 

18 hours ago, Karl said:

Thank you! I like the challenge that law offers, my life is full of sacrifices thus far and they’ve done nothing but make me stronger. What is a few more! 

I don’t like finance, which is the only reason I am considering more school. It is just not my cup of tea and I feel like lots of positions in finance would not offer me many opportunities to help people. 

Hearing that none of the lawyers you know regret their decision gives me lots of confidence. Thanks for spending so much time going through this with me my friend. 

ok, Karl.
The natural question here would be "why" did you choose Finance as a Major, if you do not like the subject, but that is now irrelevant. As someone who changed majors four times as an undergraduate myself, I felt your pain. :D

Become a lawyer. Once you do that, you do not have to become a business lawyer either.
Think of your BA as nothing more than a necessary diploma to get into law school. I know lawyers
who had English and History majors. Once you are a lawyer, you can practice what you wish.
The Finance degree would prioritize you, in regard to certain employers, but you will have the freedom to determine your own specialties (although many states have no specialities with lawyers). BOL

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/professional_responsibility/committees_commissions/specialization.html#California

3 hours ago, snowball said:

ok, Karl.
The natural question here would be "why" did you choose Finance as a Major, if you do not like the subject, but that is now irrelevant. As someone who changed majors four times as an undergraduate myself, I felt your pain. :D

Become a lawyer. Once you do that, you do not have to become a business lawyer either.
Think of your BA as nothing more than a necessary diploma to get into law school. I know lawyers
who had English and History majors. Once you are a lawyer, you can practice what you wish.
The Finance degree would prioritize you, in regard to certain employers, but you will have the freedom to determine your own specialties (although many states have no specialities with lawyers). BOL

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/professional_responsibility/committees_commissions/specialization.html#California

Thank you my friend, this is some top quality advise you give! I’ll plan for it for now and if something changes such is life.