Jump to content
Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!
Sky Cat

Su-30 Takes a Peek Inside Cargo Plane

Recommended Posts

 Automan63    2,193

I watched that last night, that’s some damn good, but totally reckless flying.

If a US pilot ever did that they’d lock him in a room and throw the room away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 COBO Member    3,350
1 hour ago, Automan63 said:

I watched that last night, that’s some damn good, but totally reckless flying.

If a US pilot ever did that they’d lock him in a room and throw the room away

Maaan! I'm torn on that! Sure, the potential for disaster was there. But we both know there's some pilots out there that are just that good

Any avgeek knows Randy "Duke" Cunningham. I was in VF-154 with him back in our Phantom daze. Too many other seniors backed up the tale so I believe it.

He and his RIO took a SAM hit over Vietnam and the plane started nosing up and wouldn't respond to controls. So he rolled inverted until the nose was below the horizon, then back until he had to go upside down again. Rinsed and repeated for 250+ miles until they got alongside the carrier and punched out.

My point is that even today, with all the computer-aided flight, flying by the seat of your pants is still possible. The OP vid proves it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Automan63    2,193
14 minutes ago, COBO Member said:

Maaan! I'm torn on that! Sure, the potential for disaster was there. But we both know there's some pilots out there that are just that good

Any avgeek knows Randy "Duke" Cunningham. I was in VF-154 with him back in our Phantom daze. Too many other seniors backed up the tale so I believe it.

He and his RIO took a SAM hit over Vietnam and the plane started nosing up and wouldn't respond to controls. So he rolled inverted until the nose was below the horizon, then back until he had to go upside down again. Rinsed and repeated for 250+ miles until they got alongside the carrier and punched out.

My point is that even today, with all the computer-aided flight, flying by the seat of your pants is still possible. The OP vid proves it.

Totally agree, but at what cost/risk? 

In time of conflict, I agree, have at it and do what ya gotta and fly by the skin of your ass.

During peace time? Risking killing an expensively trained pilot, not to mention the time to do so, along with a most likely a 30-40M aircraft, along with a cargo plane and crew participating against their will..... Nah, I’d hang that pilot by his ass for doing that. One errant gust and they both go down. One guy has a zero zero, the others die screaming....  nope

for the record, I can fly, but am not licensed to do so and choose not to be. I crew chief two Nam era warbirds and repair light aircraft and experimentals.

BTW: Thanks for your service Sir! :beerl:

I was twice denied, 4F because of flat feet, pissed me off. Marines first, then Navy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 apache54    4,899
10 hours ago, COBO Member said:

Maaan! I'm torn on that! Sure, the potential for disaster was there. But we both know there's some pilots out there that are just that good

Any avgeek knows Randy "Duke" Cunningham. I was in VF-154 with him back in our Phantom daze. Too many other seniors backed up the tale so I believe it.

He and his RIO took a SAM hit over Vietnam and the plane started nosing up and wouldn't respond to controls. So he rolled inverted until the nose was below the horizon, then back until he had to go upside down again. Rinsed and repeated for 250+ miles until they got alongside the carrier and punched out.

My point is that even today, with all the computer-aided flight, flying by the seat of your pants is still possible. The OP vid proves it.

INDEED IT IS!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 COBO Member    3,350
14 hours ago, Automan63 said:

In time of conflict, I agree, have at it and do what ya gotta and fly by the skin of your ass.

During peace time? Risking killing an expensively trained pilot, not to mention the time to do so, along with a most likely a 30-40M aircraft, along with a cargo plane and crew participating against their will..... Nah, I’d hang that pilot by his ass for doing that. One errant gust and they both go down. One guy has a zero zero, the others die screaming....  nope

I see your concerns from a "general aviation" background with the difference between wartime and peacetime. But I fall on the side that to fly and fight in a real shooting war, you have to practice like you're already in it. <in Dirty Harry voice> "A man's got to know his limitations."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 abigfatzero    2,447

Was the pilot goofing off or was Russia sending a message.

What I mean is.......

The Pilot seemed to be shadowing the plane for quite some time without the crew knowing he was there, he didn't reveal himself until after they dropped their load.

Who were they resupplying, were they resupplying the "moderate rebels" (ISIS cough cough) and this was Russia's way of saying "we see you and we know what you are doing, we could have taken you out, but, we didn't, fare warning"

Just looking down the barrel of that death machine in the video made me a little uncomfortable, I can just imagine how the crew felt if they were doing what I think they were doing......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up to our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×