Dr. Evil

No shoes but huge balls: what happened in Yemen and why it matters

The war on Yemen has finally taken a turn towards an end. Former President Saleh is back in his leading position. They Saudis accepted their defeat. The Houthis will be thrown out of the capital Sanaa and return to their northern areas. Yemen is devastated and will need to rebuild. Everyone who participated in this war has lost. The only winner is Russia.

A recap:

During the "Arab spring" (U.S.) induced Yemeni revolution President Saleh was kicked out after ruling the country for 34 years. In 2012 the former Vice-President Hadi was "elected" as the new president on a one choice ballot. With U.S. support the system prevailed.

Hadi was a Saudi puppet unable to rule the country. He tried to form a unity government under the National Dialogue Conference sponsored by the Gulf Cooperation Council. But two major constituencies were left out of the effort: the northern Yemeni Houthis of Zaidi belief, who for years had fought against Saudi-Wahhabi indoctrination in Yemen, and the followers of the ousted President Ali Abdullah Saleh. The Houthis and Saleh had fought each other for over a decade. Now they had a common enemy and united their efforts.

In 2015 the Houthi and Yemeni army troops loyal to Saleh took over the capital Sanaa. Hadi resigned (twice), fled to Aden in the south and later onto Riyadh in Saudi Arabia. The Saudis were afraid to lose influence over their dirt poor but self-confident neighbor. They falsely alleged that the Houthis were supported by their perceived arch-enemy Iran. They declared war on the country and tried to invade it. The U.S. and the UK supported and still support the Saudi war with intelligence, refueling flights for Saudi bombers and massive weapon supplies.

The Saudis sent their troops to invade the country, their neighboring United Arab Emirates sent its forces and additional mercenaries were hired from Sudan, south America and where ever they could be found. All to no avail. While the Saudis dropped more than 100 bombs per day onto Yemen their forces were defeated every time they tried to enter the mountainous heartland. The Houthi counterattacked within Saudi Arabia. They had no shoes but huge balls. Hundreds of Saudi border posts and military checkpoints were destroyed by them.

The Saudis tried to starve the Houthis of weapons, food and other supplies. They blockaded the country and bombed weapon depots, factories and all infrastructure. They completely destroyed Houthi cities in the north and tried to assassinate the leaders of the rebellion. Tens of thousands of Yemenis died in the often indiscriminate attacks. But the Houthi held out. For decades Yemen had been filled up with weapons. During his decades long rule former president Saleh had stashed ten-thousands of tons of ammunition and equipment. Additional supplies were captured or bought from the Saudi mercenaries.

The Saudi were stuck in a stalemate that cost them over $800 million per month. Al-Qaeda and the Islamic State were flourishing in the south which the Saudis and their allies nominally controlled. Saudi proxies were infighting with troops from the UAE. Missiles were falling down on Saudi cities. While only few missiles hit their targets each of them demonstrated the impotence of the Saudi rulers.

The Saudis finally send out peace feelers to former president Saleh. The Russians, who had kept their embassy in Sanaa open throughout the war, acted as the middleman. 

<snip>

Saleh called on all his followers to oust the Houthi from their positions. His nephew and potential successor Colonel Tariq Mohammed Abdullah Saleh will lead a new military council and run that side of the business. Houthi posters in Sanaa have been teared down. There is some fierce fighting ongoing in the city. Sanaa is Saleh territory. His troops are prepared and he is very likely to win the fight.

It is now left to Saleh and his family and followers to clean up the utter mess the U.S. induced "revolution" and the Saudi war on Yemen have caused. The Saudis will have to pay billions in reparations. Saleh's family will plunder a huge share of these. Despite the money Saleh is, like always, no ones puppet but the snake that bites everyone who stands in his way. That is how and why he could rule for so long.

The Houthis, who bravely fought against the Saudis, became too sure of themselves and too obnoxious towards their own people to be able to rule. They will be ousted from Sanaa and pushed back into their devastated northern homelands.

Everyone in Yemen lost in this war. Many, many have died for no good reason. It will take decades to rebuild all that was destroyed. The Saudis and the U.S. behind them have lost face and standing throughout the Arab world. They tried to f**k Yemen but Yemen f**ked them.

The only real winners of the war are the Russians. They again demonstrated that they are able to create peace where the U.S. only creates war and chaos.

http://www.moonofalabama.org/2017/12/yemen-saudis-throw-the-towel-saleh-is-baaack-russia-wins.html#more

Edited by Dr. Evil
  • Like 2

The russians were opportunistic. I'm not defending whatever strategy we have, I'm just laughing and thinking about selling "putin is like jesus!" T-shirts to morons.

31 minutes ago, Curenado said:

The russians were opportunistic

They were also diplomatic. You have to ask yourself how come the US found it difficult to be that.

BTW, I'm as much a Putin fan as I am a Trump fan.

I happen to think there are arguments that both of these people have potential to turn out the way we all want.

I also know there are facts about both that indicate they're both plants.

However one thing I know more about than most Western people is the history of Russia and its politics and the nature of its people.

And it's nothing like what is taught in the West, and they think nothing like the Western media or (I imagine) the college politics courses portray them as.  And that applies now and it also applied during the Cold War.

And that misunderstanding to me is sad.  Because it matters. Because Russia has the power to destroy the US, and vice versa. But unlike the Cold War days, there is a lack of trust, so if a launch appears on the radar, it's unlikely these days the hot line will be engaged, let alone listened to, and that happened several times back then, and the reason that trust isn't there anymore, is 100% US fault, because you have sold your foreign relations to the slimy neocon swine, and they have made sure the Russian bear won't be trusting a word you say, because Russia won't know if they're talking to a real American or a Khazarian traitor who's salivating at the thought of a 200 million casualty rate in the next 60 mins. And that's your fault, not you personally, but it's your country so it's happened under your watch. It's sure as hell not the fault of the Russians, is it.

Edited by Dr. Evil
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Evil said:

appen to think there are arguments that both of these people have potential to turn out the way we all want.

Way "who" all want? That's why nothing else you say much matters, even paragraph after paragraph. You have a worse megalomania than they do and never any intention of letting the world run itself. 

Are "we all" habitrail urbanites with get-beat-up hair? They seem the most desperate to achieve a utopian idea where all human problems are properly solved? What is "what we all want" precisely? 

4 worlds of people sharing one planet, none want what the others do. They simply have to sort that out, until the worlds can go back to living in peace. Because of the pervasive helplessness and mania, gonna be gnarly-er. 

26 minutes ago, Dr. Evil said:

They were also diplomatic. You have to ask yourself how come the US found it difficult to be that.

BTW, I'm as much a Putin fan as I am a Trump fan.

I happen to think there are arguments that both of these people have potential to turn out the way we all want.

I also know there are facts about both that indicate they're both plants.

However one thing I know more about than most Western people is the history of Russia and its politics and the nature of its people.

And it's nothing like what is taught in the West, and they think nothing like the Western media or (I imagine) the college politics courses portray them as.  And that applies now and it also applied during the Cold War.

And that misunderstanding to me is sad.  Because it matters. Because Russia has the power to destroy the US, and vice versa. But unlike the Cold War days, there is a lack of trust, so if a launch appears on the radar, it's unlikely these days the hot line will be engaged, let alone listened to, and that happened several times back then, and the reason that trust isn't there anymore, is 100% US fault, because you have sold your foreign relations to the slimy neocon swine, and they have made sure the Russian bear won't be trusting a word you say, because Russia won't know if they're talking to a real American or a Khazarian traitor who's salivating at the thought of a 200 million casualty rate in the next 60 mins. And that's your fault, not you personally, but it's your country so it's happened under your watch. It's sure as hell not the fault of the Russians, is it.

Great post :) 

I feel very deeply for the Yemeni people, and their struggles in this world.. ISIS loved to use them in their 'markets'.. The way I see Russia, is that if they were not there the Christians in the ME might be gone by now..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curenado said:

Way "who" all want? 

My read on what America wants is: Trump really does drain the swamp, and everyone who should goes to jail and all the history is revealed and everyone whose memories should be excoriated gets that and everyone unjustly punished gets themselves, their families or their memories resurrected, with justice, transparency and integrity for all to see and with evidence no-one can dispute and crimes are revisited and books reopened and major travesties like Kosovo and CIA drug traffiking and Congressional corruption and all of that is all done, finished, and resolved.

That's what I think America wants.

What I think Russia wants is: 

Putin really does what the Russians think he will do (make Russia the bridge between East and West) and really does become bigger than Peter the Great, who is the last Russian ruler to try that.

And all Russia gets is to be left alone, to sell gas to Europe and make a buck and educate the world into its vast cultural treasure, of how to get on when on the surface, you really should be implaccable enemies.

Sorry if you think that's meglamaniacal. I'm not BTW, if that helps but I suspect it doesn't.

It's just I happen to think that field of possibility is what people really do want.

And I do as well.

The annoying thing is, while many in the world would regard the above as fantastically out of reach, I personally see it as a possible. Perhaps not a likely possible, but a possible. And that's why I'm fighting for it, and will continue.

Edited by Dr. Evil

Breaking news:

Former Yemeni President Saleh has been killed (GRAPHIC IMAGES)

Reports have flooded in that in the intense battles which saw Houthi fighters re-take parts of the Yemeni capital of Sana’a, former President Ali Abdullah Saleh has been killed. These reports have now been confirmed by the Interior Ministry of Lebanon.

Days ago, Saleh broke off his previous alliance with Houthi fighters, also known was the Ansar Allah group, in a deal reportedly brokered by the UAE and Saudi Arabia.

<snip>

http://theduran.com/breaking-former-yemeni-president-saleh-killed/

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.