Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

DRUMZ

Where should I go???

Sailing the Windward Islands:  Saint Lucia , Saint Vincent, Martinique, Mustique, and the Grenadines! Did this trip in my 20's and is my most memorable!   It's warm and as beautiful as the Hawaiian Islands, but less inhabited!!  I'm not sure what it's like today, though ...

32 minutes ago, Quick1966 said:

Canary Islands. Best weather on planet earth year round. My grandfather was born there before his family relocated to Cuba. I've been thinking of going to visit where my ancestors are from. 

Another for the research pile, as I have heard that it is indeed nice there.

Thank you!

Just curious though....

Did your family relocate to Cuba pre Castro? As it seems odd to go post Castro?

Peace!

25 minutes ago, One Step Away said:

Sailing the Windward Islands:  Saint Lucia , Saint Vincent, Martinique, Mustique, and the Grenadines! Did this trip in my 20's and is my most memorable!   It's warm and as beautiful as the Hawaiian Islands, but less inhabited!!  I'm not sure what it's like today, though ...

Sounds Kickass to me...

Do you know if there are ample camping/backpacking opportunities???

Any hilly areas or mountains?

Thanks!

1 minute ago, DRUMZ said:

Sounds Kickass to me...

Do you know if there are ample camping/backpacking opportunities???

Any hilly areas or mountains?

Thanks!

I remember St. Lucia and St. Vincent having mountains; it is just stunning! Here are some images (4) from a quick Bing search:

https://imgur.com/a/0d7Rx

Mustique is where Mick Jagger had a home -- I remember hiking the island, and it was sparsely populated ...

2 minutes ago, One Step Away said:

I remember St. Lucia and St. Vincent having mountains; it is just stunning! Here are some images (4) from a quick Bing search:

https://imgur.com/a/0d7Rx

Mustique is where Mick Jagger had a home -- I remember hiking the island, and it was sparsely populated ...

Wow! I need to check out more on google earth and do some research on these islands  too.

Going to talk to the travel agency this Friday to see what kind of deals are out there and who has the best weather.

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, DRUMZ said:

Wow! I need to check out more on google earth and do some research on these islands  too.

Going to talk to the travel agency this Friday to see what kind of deals are out there and who has the best weather.

Thanks!

I'm not sure if they were affected by any hurricanes this season? Also, it may be a lot more populated now, but check it out!   It looks like it's around low 80s in January :)

Best of luck!!  You are so blessed to have that much time to take a vacation 😎🌴

The best times I have ever had over seas were in the back woods South Korea. Say what you want about the SoKo`s but they have a way...

20 minutes ago, One Step Away said:

I'm not sure if they were affected by any hurricanes this season? Also, it may be a lot more populated now, but check it out!   It looks like it's around low 80s in January :)

Best of luck!!  You are so blessed to have that much time to take a vacation 😎🌴

Thanks. But not so much a blessing as more like I work weird hours.

I work for seven 12 hr days in a row. Then I get seven days off. Then I work seven 12 hr nights in a row, then seven days off..etc..etc..

So.. If I take one week off... I get 3 weeks off total.

And I get 3 weeks of vacation, so after this vacation I will have I will have 2 more 3week vacations left.

Kind of cool, but the seven 12hr days in a row kind of sucks. But one gets used to it I suppose.

So in reality I have 2 weeks off a month as it is. So I take a lot of mini vacations and enjoy to travel/backpack. 

31 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

The best times I have ever had over seas were in the back woods South Korea. Say what you want about the SoKo`s but they have a way...

I believe you. I always thought that if I ever make it to Japan, I would try to get to some of the other nearby countries as well....

And S.K. is one of them. Go figure!

20 hours ago, DRUMZ said:

Another for the research pile, as I have heard that it is indeed nice there.

Thank you!

Just curious though....

Did your family relocate to Cuba pre Castro? As it seems odd to go post Castro?

Peace!

Yeah my grandfather (Dad's side) was born in 1911. I believe he moved to Cuba in the late 1920s. Both sides fled communist Cuba in the 60s.