Jerry Garcia

Internet Brain Implant Speech Decoding..

Really interesting article in MIT about brain implants. Looks like they are making progress..

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/609232/the-surgeon-who-wants-to-connect-you-to-the-internet-with-a-brain-implant/

"In 2006, after a speech on this work at a conference, Schalk was approached by Elmar Schmeisser, a program manager at the U.S. Army Research Office. Schmeisser had in mind something far more complex. He wanted to find out if it was possible to decode “imagined speech”—words not vocalized, but simply spoken silently in one’s mind. Schmeisser, also a science fiction fan, had long dreamed of creating a “thought helmet” that could detect a soldier’s imagined speech and transmit it wirelessly to a fellow soldier’s earpiece.
Laser probe.

Leuthardt recruited 12 bedridden epilepsy patients, confined to their rooms and bored as they waited to have seizures, and presented each one with 36 words that had a relatively simple consonant-vowel-consonant structure, such as “bet,” “bat,” “beat,” and “boot.” He asked the patients to say the words out loud and then to simply imagine saying them—conveying the instructions visually (written on a computer screen), with no audio, and again vocally, with no video, to make sure that he could identify incoming sensory signals in the brain. Then he shipped the data to Schalk for analysis."

This is a confusing topic for me a bit...  On one hand wtf.. on the other seems like we won't survive as a species without it, but things are about to get really really weird I think.

Just had a weird thought. The article references that they found the source of the signal for mind communication. Also says they think they found the source of where the "little voice we hear is in our heads" is located physically or wear the signal is coming from and that it is located where the same muscles responsible for activating speech in our mouths and face are or something along those lines.

This got me thinking.. it's almost as if we have a VM (virtual machine) running the physical environment of our bodies in our brains and recreating actual wavelengths in our brains that we can effectively interpret. So therefore... these surgeons should be looking for a pattern that matches the actual wave length of the actual spoken word as it traverses air. That should help them with the error correction code. I don't know if they have thought of doing that it isn't outlined in the article. But if they could start matching it up it could be reverse engineered. Basically the brain is just a very sophisticated fiber optic record player running a holographic virtual machine and the wave data is in there.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jerry Garcia said:

Just had a weird thought. The article references that they found the source of the signal for mind communication. Also says they think they found the source of where the "little voice we hear is in our heads" is located physically or wear the signal is coming from and that it is located where the same muscles responsible for activating speech in our mouths and face are or something along those lines.

This got me thinking.. it's almost as if we have a VM (virtual machine) running the physical environment of our bodies in our brains and recreating actual wavelengths in our brains that we can effectively interpret. So therefore... these surgeons should be looking for a pattern that matches the actual wave length of the actual spoken word as it traverses air. That should help them with the error correction code. I don't know if they have thought of doing that it isn't outlined in the article. But if they could start matching it up it could be reverse engineered. Basically the brain is just a very sophisticated fiber optic record player running a holographic virtual machine and the wave data is in there.

Whoah!

:kaneclap:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.