Sign in to follow this  
Ukshep

American Jewish visitor forced to sign loyalty oath in order to get tourist visa to Israel

In an apparent escalation of Israel’s anti-BDS policy, an American Jew disclosed to Mondoweiss that in order to receive a valid visa they were forced to sign a loyalty oath to the state of Israel. 

Just a few weeks ago, the individual, who wishes to remain anonymous for fear of retribution, was summoned to the Interior Ministry’s office to finally receive a valid visa after months of waiting and after discreditation of a previously issued one.

But the ministry official forced the interfaith activist and educator, who self-describes an upbringing with a “typical northeast liberal Jewish education,” to write and sign a letter declaring allegiance to the state in order to receive a tourist visa. This individual had to then reapply for a work visa, which grants a longer term stay.

Handwritten on official Ministry of Interior Population Immigration and Border Authority stationery, the letter, as dictated to the individual by an agent of the ministry reads:

“I declare that I will not do any activities against Israel, the army, and its institutions.”

Similar forms have been signed; supposed anti-occupation or pro-Palestinian individuals turned away at Israel’s borders; phones confiscated; emails read; and the just-how-Jewish-are-you game played before. Such tactics comprise the border authority’s arsenal.

http://mondoweiss.net/2017/11/american-visitor-loyalty/

I didn't even know this was a thing.... :frantics:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.