Cinnamon

‘Megathrust’ earthquake & devastating tsunami could hit New Zealand, scientists warn [Merged]

New Zealand could be potentially hit by a massive magnitude 9.0 earthquake followed by a “towering” tsunami, scientists warn. According to the researchers, a 2016 quake that hit the area reawakened a hazardous fault that was believed to be dormant.

The Hikurangi subduction zone – a deep trench in the Earth’s crust running along the eastern shore of New Zealand’s North Island – is now active and could trigger magnitude 8.5 earthquakes, which would be far more devastating that the one that hit the islands in 2016, a group of scientists from the GNS research institute warn. The earthquakes are also likely to be followed by tsunamis that could reach New Zealand’s coast within mere minutes, the geologists add.

"We need to think Japan 2011, basically, because if our whole plate boundary ruptured, it would be a magnitude 9 earthquake," Ursula Cochran, an earthquake geologist at the GNS, told the local media. “The Hikurangi subduction zone is potentially the largest source of earthquake and tsunami hazard in New Zealand, but there is still much to learn about it,”GNS Science said in a statement earlier.

<snip>

https://www.rt.com/news/411364-new-zealand-earthquake-tsunami/

Interesting read. Hope that never happens ! The two vids below are drone footage of the 2016 quake. 

Uh....but....isn't a global deep quake event happening now and supposed to rock us all around over the next year? I think 2016 was just a pre sign and it will happen within a year or so?

I used to love going to the beach. Now? I am always checking to see how quick I can drive inland or uphill. I can't relax when I am there. PNW Cascadia.

I know too much. It is ruined for me.

Another place I think would be cool to see but I will never go - Yellowstone.

12 minutes ago, Picklesnout said:

I used to love going to the beach. Now? I am always checking to see how quick I can drive inland or uphill. I can't relax when I am there. PNW Cascadia.

I know too much. It is ruined for me.

Another place I think would be cool to see but I will never go - Yellowstone.

You could move to the east coast, it's geologically stable. But buy a well built house. Hurricanes are a b*tch. :p

New Zealand could be potentially hit by a massive magnitude 9.0 earthquake followed by a “towering” tsunami, scientists warn. According to the researchers, a 2016 quake that hit the area reawakened a hazardous fault that was believed to be dormant.
**Learn More**
New Zealand's Hidden Megathrust Fault: https://youtu.be/lH_PAGimWJM

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.