Sign in to follow this  
Cinnamon

Universe shouldn’t exist, CERN physicists conclude

One of the great mysteries of modern physics is why antimatter did not destroy the universe at the beginning of time.

To explain it, physicists suppose there must be some difference between matter and antimatter – apart from electric charge. Whatever that difference is, it’s not in their magnetism, it seems.

Physicists at CERN in Switzerland have made the most precise measurement ever of the magnetic moment of an anti-proton – a number that measures how a particle reacts to magnetic force – and found it to be exactly the same as that of the proton but with opposite sign. The work is described in Nature.

“All of our observations find a complete symmetry between matter and antimatter, which is why the universe should not actually exist,” says Christian Smorra, a physicist at CERN’s Baryon–Antibaryon Symmetry Experiment (BASE) collaboration. “An asymmetry must exist here somewhere but we simply do not understand where the difference is.”

<snip>

https://cosmosmagazine.com/physics/universe-shouldn-t-exist-cern-physicists-conclude

I came to the same conclusion and I didn't need all of this. 

• Haha 1

Don’t you just love when people who probably don’t even know how to change a car tire are splitting atoms? 

It just brings a good nights sleep 

:creepystare:

Edited by GT500

5 hours ago, GT500 said:

Don’t you just love when people who probably don’t even know how to change a car tire are splitting atoms? 

It just brings a good nights sleep 

:creepystare:

Ain't it the truth? And if logic holds true that there shouldn't be a universe; then there shouldn't be CERN physicists...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

One of the great mysteries of modern physics is why antimatter did not destroy the universe at the beginning of time.

To explain it, physicists suppose there must be some difference between matter and antimatter – apart from electric charge. Whatever that difference is, it’s not in their magnetism, it seems.

Physicists at CERN in Switzerland have made the most precise measurement ever of the magnetic moment of an anti-proton – a number that measures how a particle reacts to magnetic force – and found it to be exactly the same as that of the proton but with opposite sign. The work is described in Nature.

“All of our observations find a complete symmetry between matter and antimatter, which is why the universe should not actually exist,” says Christian Smorra, a physicist at CERN’s Baryon–Antibaryon Symmetry Experiment (BASE) collaboration. “An asymmetry must exist here somewhere but we simply do not understand where the difference is.”

<snip>

https://cosmosmagazine.com/physics/universe-shouldn-t-exist-cern-physicists-conclude

I came to the same conclusion and I didn't need all of this. 

I was going to say that antimatter has opposite magneic polarity as matter, so there's a repulsive effect. Mind you I am no particle physicist, but this is the theory behind the universe is expanding. The big question is "why can't we see antimatter in the universe?" This has been my thought for about 20 years.

Also, I've always wondered how imaginary numbers would appear in our universe. For all I know, maybe that antimatter is way back going to opposite direction of "the big bang". We would have to look back further in space than the beginning of time. I expect we'll make an observation to either prove or disprove this theory before the beginning of 2100, maybe sooner.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.