Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!
Sign in to follow this  
Cinnamon

The U.K. imported Black Friday in its full glory — fights included

Cinnamon    23,074

Great deals, lines outside the store and stampedes when the doors open  — sounds like a typical Black Friday. Except, in this case, we are talking about Black Friday in United Kingdom.

How did a country that does not celebrate Thanksgiving — and therefore does not get the day after off — end up importing one of the biggest shopping holidays?

Amazon.

<snip>

https://www.marketplace.org/2017/11/24/world/black-friday-shopping-exported-london-uk-us-holiday

You don't need a holiday to turn people into greedy consumers! 

Ukshep    20,169
4 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

Great deals, lines outside the store and stampedes when the doors open  — sounds like a typical Black Friday. Except, in this case, we are talking about Black Friday in United Kingdom.

How did a country that does not celebrate Thanksgiving — and therefore does not get the day after off — end up importing one of the biggest shopping holidays?

Amazon.

<snip>

https://www.marketplace.org/2017/11/24/world/black-friday-shopping-exported-london-uk-us-holiday

You don't need a holiday to turn people into greedy consumers! 

Yeah it can get bad here.... I stay in on holiday shopping dates now... Hate to say it but it used to be all brits. Now it's a ton of aggressive, lower class non-whites... No thanks. I'll stay at home! Less hassle.

Cinnamon    23,074
Just now, Ukshep said:

Yeah it can get bad here.... I stay in on holiday shopping dates now... Hate to say it but it used to be all brits. Now it's a ton of aggressive, lower class non-whites... No thanks. I'll stay at home! Less hassle.

I'd rather shop online, I can find better deals and compare prices easier than walking around in a mall. Plus I don't like crowds. 

• Like 2

TheOldMan    2,538
18 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

I'd rather shop online, I can find better deals and compare prices easier than walking around in a mall. Plus I don't like crowds. 

Crowds are scary, people act like rabid animals 

I just go shopping when I know it's dead 

• Like 2

Ukshep    20,169
1 hour ago, Cinnamon said:

Going to have to agree! But sometimes you can only get one you need is person. Other times only online :D

Lucy Barnable    5,036
3 hours ago, Ukshep said:

Isn't it odd that the people who supposedly have the least amount of disposable money go crazy to spend it? I wonder if it's because they didn't earn it themselves so it means less to them. Plus, maybe when the cash is gone they still have their basic needs like food and shelter taken care of. In any case I think they must have some form of insanity to subject themselves to it.

Cinnamon    23,074
28 minutes ago, Lucy Barnable said:

Isn't it odd that the people who supposedly have the least amount of disposable money go crazy to spend it? I wonder if it's because they didn't earn it themselves so it means less to them. Plus, maybe when the cash is gone they still have their basic needs like food and shelter taken care of. In any case I think they must have some form of insanity to subject themselves to it.

Somehow that idea of getting something cheap... i don't know. lol

Lucy Barnable    5,036
11 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

Somehow that idea of getting something cheap... i don't know. lol

How many of those cheap toys end up in the dumpster two months after Christmas (if they last that long) because they're being evicted for not paying rent? That's why I think the majority of people involved in black Friday madness are on welfare. It's not their money so they don't care if they waste it on cheap crap and they know the government will step in and give them more when they run out of what the government has already given them. There are loads of charities who do just that too. Give to "needy" families at Christmas time to help them pay their bills on top of giving them more cheap dumpster fodder.

Ukshep    20,169
6 hours ago, Lucy Barnable said:

The reasoning is somewhere between, Having nothing and being excited to buy something and spending money that is not yours or has not been earned. Excitement for them I guess! The deals, 50% off.. Wohoo. :gsbrnint: