Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!
Sign in to follow this  
Cinnamon

Bali volcano erupts for the second time in a week, disrupting flights

Cinnamon    23,095

A RUMBLING volcano on Bali has spewed smoke hundreds of metres into the air, the second time since Tuesday, grounding international flights and forcing residents to flee.

Jetstar and Qantas have cancelled flights in and out of Bali after Mount Agung erupted again, even though Indonesian authorities say it’s safe to fly to the island.

At least four Jetstar flights and one Qantas flight between Australian airports and Bali have diverted to other airports.

<snip>

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/bali-volcano-blows-disrupting-flights/news-story/def9886dbd0f717302bdb86d696ac52a

This thing is getting dangerous. Seems they have not evacuated anymore people out of there than they had previously, according to other news reports I've been reading. 

• Like 2

Ukshep    20,194
2 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

This thing is getting dangerous. Seems they have not evacuated anymore people out of there than they had previously, according to other news reports I've been reading. 

They had to re-iterate warning yesterday too. Can't remember exactly what is was but they had been told not to do something and were doing it.... I hope this activity calms down... I have uneasy feeling about earthquakes and eruptions in December. And a ton of people in many vulnerable locations. I worry.

Curenado    966

MY SHIPPING!!! :pulling-hair:AGGGGHH!!

:nukeanimated:

But, it is just getting started. The year of rumbelation has already started because the rotation slowed awhile back and the crust and all is catching up. Rather, it's becoming more ball shaped instead of oblong because the spin slowed. Should go on for a year or so

Edited by Curenado

Malevolent    2,819

Source

Karangasem, Indonesia  — Authorities ordered a mass evacuation of people Monday from an expanded danger zone around an erupting volcano on Bali that has forced the Indonesian island's international airport to close, stranding tens of thousands of travelers.

Mount Agung has been hurling clouds of white and dark gray ash about 3 000 meters (9 800 feet) into the atmosphere since the weekend. A mudflow of volcanic debris and water known as a lahar was filmed moving down the volcano's slopes.

The National Disaster Mitigation Agency raised the alert to the highest level early Monday and expanded the danger zone to 10 kilometers (6 miles) in places from the previous maximum of 7.5 kilometers. It said in a statement that a larger eruption is possible.

Spokesperson Sutopo Purwo Nugroho told a news conference in Jakarta that the extension of the danger zone affects 22 villages and about 90 000 to 100 000 people. He said about 40,000 people have evacuated but others have not left because they feel safe or don't want to abandon their livestock.

"Authorities will comb the area to persuade them," he said. "If needed we will forcibly evacuate them." About 25 000 people were already living in evacuation centers after an increase in tremors from the mountain in September sparked an evacuation.<SNIP>