Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!
John Galt

A Growing Number of Young Americans are Leaving Desk Jobs to Farm

Anne    267
1 hour ago, GT500 said:

Good for them 

we need real food!

I agree!

• Like 1

Groove    1,956

Liberal arts college..... they couldn't get a real job in the field they chose so they had to improvise and found something worth while. That's what I get anyway lol. Good for them tho. :banana:

• Like 2

sybdragon    1,505

Wonder how long until they will give it up. Farming is not as easy as it looks. Between the diseases and wild animals eating your crops... It's not a job that you depend on totally unless you can protect those crops. Too much rain, too little rain... and some bugs are so small they can not be picked off by hand. 

So they are going to use organic stuff to keep the bugs and diseases down? That can get expensive very fast. If they plan on planning an orchard, they will have anywhere from a couple years to grow some berries to around 10 years or so to establish some trees and bushes. After you plant all those trees, come winter.... the deer come around and ring your tree. By that I mean they will eat the bark off your fruit trees. Adult trees it is a problem but not that much because they do not ring the tree. If they take the bark off all around the trunk of the tree, like a ring is on it, the trees do not survive that. They need a sliver left connecting the top and bottom of the ring. The small trees are easy to ring. And easy to die from transplanting and diseases. 

You plant something and it doesn't grow. You plant other plants and they grow fabulous. If they put in raised beds.... those cost you lots of money or a few years to develop the soil. And just buying land is not going to do it. If you buy some old farmland, sometimes, it's tired and wants to rest and be rebuilt up with nutrients. That takes a few years to do. And rocks.... the rocks you will take out of the land if you plow it and the weeds.... Weeds are a pain in the butt and unless you are very, very faithful about spending hours and hours weeding your crops, they will take over and you will be digging through weeds to get your crops. 

A tip for those that grow tomatoes and potatoes. Potato bugs prefer thistles. If you will let some of those sticker plants of bull thistle, it will volunteer to grow itself in your garden or it does in mine, grow with your crops, the potato bugs will gravitate to them and leave your potatoes and tomatoes alone. Not all of them but the thistles will entice a whole lot of them. Yes, I do pick them off the thistles too. :gsbrnint: Yucky beetles that poop yellow junk on you. Sticky yellow crap. Gross stuff. 

Pee around your garden. It does keep some wild critters away but not as many as you think. Have the boys pee on the edges of the garden, your little boys will love it anyway. 

Plant an old iron skillet in the garden too. It will leach iron into your soil. You can use any ole iron but it must be iron. Your plants will pick up the iron and be in your crops. But remember where you planted it or plant it deep enough your tiller won't hit it. Mess your tiller up. 

What it's like to be a farmer. https://www.citylab.com/life/2017/01/so-you-want-to-give-it-all-up-and-be-a-farmer/513908/

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/new-lifestyle-of-the-rich-and-famous-farming-2013-12-16

Snippet: But the good intentions of these type-A types notwithstanding, the economics of organic farming are a potential blow to their fairly large egos. These are individuals with scores of successes in life, but experts say that despite the price premiums that come with organic labeling or other like-minded practices, the math doesn’t always work out. It is just too expensive to do. For that matter, almost all farming, organic or conventional, is a financial boondoggle when it’s outside the realm of factory farming. The median projected income of the American farm in 2013? It’s actually a loss of roughly $2,300, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Is it any wonder that — the organic boom notwithstanding — the number of farms in the U.S. has been on a dramatic decline, from a high of nearly 7 million in the 1930s to 2.2 million today?

http://www.theeasyhomestead.com/giving-up/   this lady is not lying at all. It's tough, never enough money and takes time to build up. And you feel like quitting a whole lot. At least half of those trying this will give in to the temptation to give up and walk away. Too much work, too little money and takes more time than you have in a day....

Snippet: Farming for income, homesteading, making everything from scratch, growing, processing, and living. Those things take time. Not to mention we just moved. Well- January 31st,  but I swear that was just yesterday. Boxes still aren’t even unpacked because we are trying to get the farm ready. Installing fence posts, electric fencing, gates, etc is complicated. Something I’ve never done. And we don’t have help. It’s just the five of us: Beau, me, and the three kids.

So, here it is. Laid out for y’all. The truth. The truth behind the scenes of our homestead. The reality of homesteading and farming. The thoughts that run through my head at night while trying to go to sleep. All I can do is pray and ask for guidance, in which I do. Every. Single. Night.

I know once a lot of these expenses are completed they won’t ever be expenses again (like electric fencing). But, I’m a worrier. A constant one.

I’m not asking for hand-outs. I’m surely not asking for sympathy. I just want you to know that it isn’t as easy as it looks. It isn’t as perfect as some homesteaders like to make it look.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/mar/14/why-are-organic-farmers-across-britain-giving-up

Growing organic food is not that easy. And when most people find out they are surprised. I grew up in my Grandma's garden. I planted the seeds, covered them up, weeded, picked, shucked/shelled/peeled what need it so the old folks could can it up. We didn't freeze stuff back then, it was all put into jars. When I put in my garden, it wasn't as big as my Grandma's was. And I do not know what happened but the weeds grew so fast that I could not control all of the garden. The bugs, which I never saw on Grandma's plants ate my crops up. We never had potato bugs when I was a kid. She used sevin dust and we would just take a bag of it and scatter it over her plants when she told us to. When she put in the seeds, she would use 10-10-10 fertilizer. Looks like little colored balls that you do not use a lot of but a handful scattered over the soil worked just fine. So she was not organic. And I tried organic. I even tried sevin dust. The bugs have adapted because of the poisons that are used on them and sevin dust works but.... chemical bug spray, the newer stuff, works better. I use diatomaceous earth but it's not instant. It slowly kills the bugs it seems and needs to reapplied a lot. Anytime it rains or you water your crop. The same with blood meal if you are using it to keep out the rabbits and deer. So many dang bugs, just millions, billions, trillions of dang bugs. Some so small, you watch the leaves become just little spider web looking leaves as they eat all the green stuff and leave the veins of the leaves like lace... You have to put something on those. It's expensive and not what most people think. I find it hard to garden and I know what  I am doing and not from a book or video. I know the weeds and I know how to plant it and harvest it. The rest is up to nature. It seems when you lose a plant from disease, it takes all of your crop with it if it spreads and it always spreads. 

My Dad told me, You plant the river bottom land every year but you do not count on the money from it. There will come a 7 year flood, it always comes and not always every 7 years and it will wipe out your bottom land crop. And you will be left hanging.... The same applies to organic gardening. Good luck if you try it. Do not count on it until you harvest it. And even then, animals and bugs can ruin it in storage. :pulling-hair: 

• Like 1

Groove    1,956

Depending on where they are located they may have to learn to respect the 2A and defend their crops from varmints. The us if they are anti gun. But like I said good for them. I would love to do it hell I practically grew up on a farm, by one anyway and was there all the time.  But anyway, it is hard work, but at the end of the day you can really feel good about yourself knowing you worked for everything you have. 

Curenado    966

Jesus! How can anybody survive with a head like that? 

The "truth" is, "the perfect way to do is to be" - lao tzu

Try being fully human first and integrating with nature. I've farmed half my life. Your farm will be the reflection of you and buying 250,000 worth of gear from "farmtek" (thats what this article is. Farmtek sales ad) on day one just means a lot of extra money for vendors.

It is a continuous learning and trial&error are the reality until it becomes natural to you. But yes, after they calm down and stop posing, even spastic urban artificials can learn to farm.

But make it a slavery and sure, you will burn up for less. There are crops and methods that match your land and expectations. There will be plenty of labor without creating it. 

If you have money and can, go for it but try to get a seasoned cash cropper to help or even largely run it for you. Most places offer a crop/resource too that you don't much have to struggle with or create.

The bad part is how many of the artificials will just use convenient corporate farm tactics and create that much more toxic fertilizer run off and "battle!" Nature they could be riding along with.

Like my grandfather used to say, "Well ya don't go at it like you're killin a snake."

Good luck. Nothing but health and good comes. 4 years will go by before you realize it

• Like 1