Jump to content
Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!
Sky Cat

Intel Acknowledges Vulnerabilities In Its Management Engine

Recommended Posts

 Cmonsense101    279
1 hour ago, Sky Cat said:

 

Just uninstalled useless crap from intel (management engine components) and installed wannacry patch. Should be good for a while, what do you think? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Sky Cat    1,488
22 hours ago, Cmonsense101 said:

Just uninstalled useless crap from intel (management engine components) and installed wannacry patch. Should be good for a while, what do you think? 

Yeah, I don't do Intel software at all (and I don't use their CPUs.)  Not a software thing, though, the Intel backdoor: That's why they put it in: To circumvent all other software, including the OS.  It's there for CIA and NSA to make use of, however, of course, that leaves it wide open to hackers who know about it.  I doubt removing or changing any software would make a difference, unfortunately.  Intel says they're "going to fix this"; but that's just PR talk.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Cmonsense101    279
1 hour ago, Sky Cat said:

Yeah, I don't do Intel software at all (and I don't use their CPUs.)  Not a software thing, though, the Intel backdoor: That's why they put it in: To circumvent all other software, including the OS.  It's there for CIA and NSA to make use of, however, of course, that leaves it wide open to hackers who know about it.  I doubt removing or changing any software would make a difference, unfortunately.  Intel says they're "going to fix this"; but that's just PR talk.
 

Ouch, you mean intel provides hardware backdoor for CIA and NSA to sneak in. That means they must have cheated on their datasheets provided with their processors. You can't fix something you don't get to see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Sky Cat    1,488
25 minutes ago, counterintelligence said:

Remember Pentium iii serial number controversy?

Yeah, I recall something like that but it was so long ago I don't recall what it was all about.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Sky Cat    1,488
52 minutes ago, Cmonsense101 said:

Ouch, you mean intel provides hardware backdoor for CIA and NSA to sneak in. That means they must have cheated on their datasheets provided with their processors. You can't fix something you don't get to see. 

:nodl:

Gag orders are no doubt involved

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Sky Cat said:

Yeah, I recall something like that but it was so long ago I don't recall what it was all about.
 

So they could authenticate your purchases over the internet without having to use cookies.

35 minutes ago, Sky Cat said:

:nodl:

Gag orders are no doubt involved

I think they call those NDA's....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Siriusly    246
On 11/24/2017 at 8:20 PM, Cmonsense101 said:

Just uninstalled useless crap from intel (management engine components) and installed wannacry patch. Should be good for a while, what do you think? 

No good. It is hard coded into the firmware. There is no valid workaround as of yet. Basically arbitrary code can be executed in the CPU without the OS "knowing" it. Assured Security my foot. Local hands-on access (like when you hand your device over to customs for inspection?) or remote possible if a hacker obtains admin priviliges.

But Intel claims it will provide a firmware patch to "fix" this asap.

https://www.wired.com/story/intel-management-engine-vulnerabilities-pcs-servers-iot/

I was going to treat myself to a new laptop with an Apollo Lake N3450 chipset but I guess that will have to wait now.

Edited by Siriusly
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Sky Cat    1,488
22 minutes ago, counterintelligence said:

So they could authenticate your purchases over the internet without having to use cookies.

I think they call those NDA's....

Oh, ok, right, something like that rings a bell.

Well, the difference between NDAs and gag orders is that one has a choice whether or not to sign an NDA.  I'm pretty sure there are implied gag orders to Intel, etc, and then the company gets its employees all to sign NDAs.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Siriusly    246
57 minutes ago, Sky Cat said:

you mean intel provides hardware backdoor for CIA and NSA to sneak in.

How about zeroing the bootsectors of all drives and then switching the computer off remotely. Just a friendly warning after you posted that offensive post about Israel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Sky Cat    1,488
Just now, Siriusly said:

How about zeroing the bootsectors of all drives and then switching the computer off remotely. Just a friendly warning after you posted that offensive post about Israel.

The bitches can try, that's all I have to say.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up to our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×