Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!
Cinnamon

Lightning bolts are churning out antimatter all over planet Earth — and powerful enough to set off nuclear reaction

Cinnamon    23,011

Lightning is powerful enough to set off nuclear reactions in the atmosphere, a new study found. Japanese researchers report that the powerful electrical discharge produces gamma rays - the most powerful waves or radiation in the electromagnetic spectrum - which react with the air. The reaction produces radioisotopes and even positrons, which are the antimatter counterpart of electrons.

Scientists knew for some time that lightning and thunderclouds emit gamma rays but this is the first time someone demonstrated that they're also responsible for nuclear reactions in the atmosphere. The findings were reported by a team from Kyoto University led by Teruaki Enoto.

<snip>

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/11/lightning-bolts-are-churning-out-antimatter-all-over-planet-earth-and-powerful-enough-to-set-off-nuclear-reaction/

Picklesnout    561

I wonder if that is why sometimes the lightning seems to make louder thunder. 

Lightning storms in the pac nw seemed puny compared to new york storms. I was younger so perhaps it only seemed scarier, but I don't think so. The ground shaking rumbles are much more rare out west. I wonder if there are more positrons produced in the eastern atmosphere? 

• Like 1

Anne    255
8 hours ago, Siddrix said:

So basically all I need is a lightning rod, a flux capacitor, and a DeLorean, and maybe I can travel back to the 80's when times were good and escape this dystopian nightmare and warn the people of what's to come...  Lol :handrubl:

At best I would catch the wheels on fire and go out in a Blaze of Glory... Lmfao! :bananafire: :nukeanimated:

Well said!   :clap1:

apache54    4,893
9 hours ago, Picklesnout said:

I wonder if that is why sometimes the lightning seems to make louder thunder. 

Lightning storms in the pac nw seemed puny compared to new york storms. I was younger so perhaps it only seemed scarier, but I don't think so. The ground shaking rumbles are much more rare out west. I wonder if there are more positrons produced in the eastern atmosphere? 

I grew up in the Pacific northwest with lots of lighting storms, but I never saw REAL storms until i moved to the southwest and they CAN have some dooooozzzzziiieeess!!  has to do with the humidity lower

• Like 1

JimmREEE    62
12 hours ago, Siddrix said:

So basically all I need is a lightning rod, a flux capacitor, and a DeLorean, and maybe I can travel back to the 80's when times were good and escape this dystopian nightmare and warn the people of what's to come...  Lol :handrubl:

At best I would catch the wheels on fire and go out in a Blaze of Glory... Lmfao! :bananafire: :nukeanimated:

I just need 1.21 "jigawatts" to get the ball rolling.

• Like 1